Question about the NTT announcements

mark1447

Hey guys, (2) Question:

How does the R142(And later) know when to start announce the incoming station when entering? Even when its slow. GPS?

Example: Bronx Bound <6> train enters 23rd Street.. Announcement "This is, 23rd Street" start..

And if a train by passes the station, and crew leaves the announcements on, how does it just changes from "THIS IS" to Ex. "(F) CONEY ISLAND | THE NEXT STOP IS |....". When doors are NOT opening..

Thanks

Hey guys, (2) Question:

How does the R142(And later) know when to start announce the incoming station when entering? Even when its slow. GPS?

Example: Bronx Bound <6> train enters 23rd Street.. Announcement "This is, 23rd Street" start..

And if a train by passes the station, and crew leaves the announcements on, how does it just changes from "THIS IS" to Ex. "(F) CONEY ISLAND | THE NEXT STOP IS |....". When doors are NOT opening..

Thanks

Its measured by ft.....for the 1st question. Maybe someone else can answer the 2nd question!

Thanks

They can change what the next stop is from the control panel.

The anouncments are done of the rotation of the wheel, not GPS or any sensors. The "This is...." that plays when a train enters the station plays when the train has traveled a predetermined distance form the last station. The "This is a Brooklyn bound (F) train...." plays only when the doors open, when a train by passes a station the doors don't openso the next anoucment will play as the train enters the next station. The "stand clear of the closing doors" is activated by a button on the C/R panel in the cab. and the Ding Dong will play even if that anoucment is not bad.

Hey guys, (2) Question:

Thanks

Computer. If the PC is down they do it manuely.

Correction: Windows 2000

Wow... Thats sad lol. A new tech train run ancient software :(.

I was on an R160 (R) today and at one point the FIND system completly blacked out, right in the middle of the announcement! Even the intercom / microphone didn't work.

Why couldn't they just have put Windows 7 or at least XP on there?

Wow... Thats sad lol. A new tech train run ancient software :P.

I was on an R160 (R) today and at one point the FIND system completly blacked out, right in the middle of the announcement! Even the intercom / microphone didn't work.

It could have been done by the C/R if the announcment was incorrect. Turning off the automated announcements also causes the FIND to display only the route and destination on the screen and the next stop displays will just scroll a message.

INDman answered the question, but I have another one. The southbound (2) and (5) are using the 180 Street yard to get to East 180 Street, so it travels a longer distance than the normal route. Does that affect the wheel rotations and the announcements?

INDman answered the question, but I have another one. The southbound (2) and (5) are using the 180 Street yard to get to East 180 Street, so it travels a longer distance than the normal route. Does that affect the wheel rotations and the announcements?

Are you talking about the new southbound track south of Bronx Park? The one on the side?

(BTW That track isn't used for the (5) its for the AM (2) so that the (2) wouldn't interfere with the AM WPR Exp.)

It would unless a new program was made since that is a long term GO. I don't know the area, but some places where trains are rerouted are only off by a few feet and it's not enough to make a difference.

Correction: Windows 2000

It may even use Windows NT. (I know it's used in the MVMs)

Speaking on this.........does the MTA have an assload of backup hard drives for these trains?

Are you talking about the new southbound track south of Bronx Park? The one on the side?

I hate that thing. That track completely slows down all the trains that have to use it

It may even use Windows NT. (I know it's used in the MVMs)

Speaking on this.........does the MTA have an assload of backup hard drives for these trains?

I hate that thing. That track completely slows down all the trains that have to use it

Lol that track is needed for AM rush (2) so it wouldnt delay the (5) entering 180th

I don't know if this set somehow didn't get a new announcement [doubtful], or maybe the conductor picked the wrong program, but I was on R142 #6715 on the (5) yesterday morning, and...

I didn't know I could transfer to the (Mx) at Fulton St! I'll keep that in mind!

Archived