Uptown (F) and (G) service to be restored at Fort Hamilton Parkway and 15th Street - Prospect Park

LRG

*MTA New York City Transit announces that weekend work on the Culver Viaduct Rehabilitation Project will necessitate changes to F and G service on the weekend of May 20-23.* Beginning at 11:30 p.m. Friday, May 20 and continuing until 5 a.m. Monday, May 23, there will be no F trains between Jay Street-MetroTech and 18th Avenue and no G trains between Hoyt-Schermerhorn Sts. and Church Avenue.*

The F train will operate in two sections:*

• Between 179th Street and Jay Street-MetroTech, then rerouted on the C line to Euclid Avenue and

• Between 18th Avenue and Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue.

The G will also operate in two sections:*

• Between Court Square and Bedford-Nostrand Avs. and

• Between Bedford-Nostrand Avs. and Hoyt Schermerhorn Sts. (every 20 minutes)*

There will be three free shuttle bus routes available as alternatives:

• For service to stations between Jay Street-MetroTech and 4th Avenue-9th Street, customers may take the LOCAL shuttle bus making stops at Jay Street-MetroTech, Bergen Street, Carroll Street, Smith-9th Sts., and 4th Avenue-9th Street. **

• For customers traveling between Jay Street-MetroTech and Church Avenue or stations further south, customers may take the LIMITED shuttle bus making stops at Jay Street-MetroTech, Church Avenue, Ditmas Avenue and 18th Avenue.*

• For service to stations between 4th Avenue-9th Street and Church Avenue, customers may take the LOCAL shuttle bus making stops at 4th Avenue-9th Street, 7th Avenue, 15th Street-Prospect Park, Ft. Hamilton Parkway and Church Avenue.**

Customers are urged to use the R or D trains where possible.* Transfer is available between shuttle buses and the A, F, or R trains at Jay Street-MetroTech and between shuttle buses and the D or R trains at 4th Avenue-9th Street.* D trains run local between DeKalb Avenue and 36th Street during this time.

MTA NYC Transit apologizes for the inconvenience as we make much needed repairs and improvements to Brooklyn’s Culver Line including the rebuilding of the Viaduct structure and the renewal of its tracks, signals and switches.* We are also working to restore platforms, canopies and the historic arch at the 4th Avenue-9th Street station.* This $275.5 million engineering and construction project is necessary to rehabilitate the steel and concrete viaduct which first opened in 1933 as part of the IND system.* The project area stretches from the tunnel portal south of the Carroll Street station to the portal south of Fourth Avenue.*

Customers will be pleased to know that Manhattan-bound F and Queens-bound G train service at the 15th Street-Prospect Park and Fort Hamilton Parkway stations is expected to be restored on Monday, May 23.* Manhattan-bound F trains will continue to bypass the Smith-9th Sts. station.* Beginning June 20 and continuing through March 2012, the Smith-9th Street station will close completely for rehabilitation.* F and G trains will bypass Smith-9th Sts. station in both directions for the duration.

http://www.mta.info/mta/news/releases/?en=110516-NYCT56

I am sure Red Hook and other users of Smith/9th will be unhappy that their station will be shut for 6-8 months.

Like I said before in an earlier topic when this phrase of the Culver project began, the (MTA) could have ran a shuttle bus between Smith-9th and 15th Propsect Park West station weekdays. While also boosting up (B61) service with 10 minute headways most of the day and even 20 minute headways overnights until Smith/9th reopened.

At same time I would started the proposed "B71' service between Red Hook/Carroll Gardens and South Ferry via the Battery Tunnel. It was proposed by former (MTA) Boss Eliot Sandler in 2007 but was canned soon after when the budget crisis began.

Just my takes.

Old news, saw the g/o posters at 15th Street a week ago.

But sad to see the Northbound Exp going back local for now..

BTW why is the (G) split? is it the track work of the lower level track north of Bedford?

The (A) is still going express. The (F) local.

Which is the way they should do it in a situation like that.

Personally, though, this to me would have been the perfect time to do two experiments that I feel would be worth paying the crews extra for in order to see if certain things are feasible at a later date. In this case, I would have:

(C) trains run via the (F), (M) and finally (J) routes to Broadway Junction ((M) trains would run their normal shuttle).

(F) trains go to Lefferts while ALL (A) trains go to Far Rockaway or Rockaway Park, those going to Rockaway Park replace the (S) for the weekend.

Personally, though, this to me would have been the perfect time to do two experiments that I feel would be worth paying the crews extra for in order to see if certain things are feasible at a later date. In this case, I would have:

(C) trains run via the (F), (M) and finally (J) routes to Broadway Junction ((M) trains would run their normal shuttle).

(F) trains go to Lefferts while ALL (A) trains go to Far Rockaway or Rockaway Park, those going to Rockaway Park replace the (S) for the weekend.

Its possible as long as the (C) trains keep their 60 foot cars. (75 foot cars are not allowed in the Chrystie Cut.)

Its possible as long as the (C) trains keep their 60 foot cars. (75 foot cars are not allowed in the Chrystie Cut.)

The (C) is ending at 2nd avenue.

As for the (F) to Lefferts, I like that idea but prefer to first see the (C) heading there.

The (C) is ending at 2nd avenue.

As for the (F) to Lefferts, I like that idea but prefer to first see the (C) heading there.

(C) should go to Lefferts Blvd, I don't know why the refusal to extend it past Euclid Avenue. I think it won't cost much but the TA don't have the money. :)

(C) should go to Lefferts Blvd, I don't know why the refusal to extend it past Euclid Avenue. I think it won't cost much but the TA don't have the money. :)

Before this turns into another "© to Lefferts Blvd" debate, let me kill it right now...

The reason why the (C) isn't going to Lefferts any time soon is cuz Ozone Park residents don't wanna give up their 1-seat ride to Manhattan

Back on topic...

Good news to hear...I still wanted a recording of that announcement on the (F) on why its skipping those 2 stops but I got lazy

Are you saying© to Broadway Junction? That sounds cool.:cool:

Wallhorse not meant to be rude but why the damn fasnication of sending the (M) to 168th via 8th Ave/Myrtle Ave the (C) to Broadway Junction and the (F) all the way to Lefferts for this mega 'go'?

Most riders along Broadway-Brooklyn(Myrtle/Jamaica Ave)want 6th Ave service or the (L) line to get to midtown.

Many of the riders are confused already under the current systemwide setup as it is.

Theres the problem right there about why the MTA wont go for this. "Pay Extra crews". C trains terminate at 2nd ave to still provide local 8th ave/CPW service since the F will take its place in BK providing the current service. Running the C via Cristie to Bway-JCT would add more service on the J which is honestly not necessary. And running the F to Lefferts will create the problem that they eliminated when they shortened the C from Rock Pk back in the 90s-a bottleneck situation at Euclid.

Can you PLEASE stop bringing that up every single time??? Let the (C) terminate at Second Avenue. If you think your idea's worth coming to fruition them pay up the MTA several million. Until then you're wasting keystrokes.

I believe the (G) is split because of capacity issues after Hoyt-Schemerhorn or switchwork/trackwork somewhere on the line.

Nothing new at all, every time the viaduct work happens the (G) gets split below Bedford - Nostrand because there are no switches between Bedford - Nostrand until Carroll Street, or the (G) would run normal, but turn at Bergen Street and relay south of the station but there must be something else going on in this case.

I think Wally's proposal doesn't make sense at all.

Also, I don't think it's a good idea to extend the (F) to Lefferts Boulevard.

Terminating the (F) at 18th Avenue is a good move, track work includes Church Avenue.

Why not have the (C) terminate at WTC alongside the (E)? It just sounds to me (in my sleepy fog-headed state) that it would cause less switching delays than having to switch to the (F) at W4.

Unless they are doing work down there, it's makes the most sense in the world.

Dumb question guys. During overnights does the (A) run local in Brooklyn even when a re-routed (F) is running at same time along the Fulton line?

Unless they are doing work down there, it's makes the most sense in the world.

Dumb question guys. During overnights does the (A) run local in Brooklyn even when a re-routed (F) is running at same time along the Fulton line?

Yes it does.

Archived