Derailment at Dekalb Avenue

I had a feeling something was wrong when I woke up this morning. This is what I witnessed:

1. I saw a Brooklyn-bound (B) train running via Broadway Local at 14 St-Union Sq on the local track running via Whitehall St.

2. I saw All Brooklyn-bound (N)(Q)(R) trains were all making local stops between 57 St and DeKalb Av via Whitehall St.

3. I saw all Coney Island-bound (D) trains running on the (F) line (I was on one of them) between West 4 St and Coney Island.

4. I also saw a Queens-bound (R) train running on the (D) and (F) lines at West 4 St, pulling in on the express track.

5. I also spotted an R68 (Q) train with the (Q6Av) bullet at Queensboro Plaza.

6. It was hell for me getting to/from school, as well as getting to work. Let's just say, because of this derailment, everybody's day was ruined.

I took a Brooklyn-bound (Q) over the bridge in the late morning and scoped out the Flatbush Av. Ext tunnel. The derailment definitely happened at the 6th Ave to Brighton crossover, where the (B) crosses over. There were a ton of guys there peeking into the turnout, the third rail was new (the only bleach-white fiberglass protection boards in the area) and the crash wall after the switch had a chunk of concrete missing from it; there was a nice gash of white in the midst of all the black and gray.

Nice pic [sucks for the car though], where'd you get it from? [ie: is it yours etc.]

Hem I wonder if that car will be fixed up or replaced by one of cars from the 'dead' [not in use] tomc?

Mid carbody damage...that car is as good as done

Nice pic [sucks for the car though], where'd you get it from? [ie: is it yours etc.]

Hem I wonder if that car will be fixed up or replaced by one of cars from the 'dead' [not in use] tomc?

I doubt it will be replaced, they will just be down 1 rider car. As for the actual car, damn....

From what I see in the picture, either the switch moved under the rider car or the last truck picked the switch. I don't think the train crew will be in any trouble, but they will be out of service until this is all sorted out. If anything, the TW/O at DeKalb could be in trouble unless there is a defect with the switch.

R68 NOT R68A (Q6Av) train?! FTW!

I wonder if this affected the (R) in anyway because there were 3 R160's on the (R) today, and another one layed up inbetween 86 & 95 on the Bay Ridge line...

1. I saw a Brooklyn-bound (:P train running via Broadway Local at 14 St-Union Sq on the local track running via Whitehall St.

I also took an r68 (Q) train with the (Q6Av) but I took it at DeKalb Ave to Canal Street. When I went back to Brooklyn to get to Pacific Street, I saw an R68A (:P train on the (N)(Q) platform going to Brighton Beach. I have 3 pics of the (Q6Av) rollsign on that possible (Q) train Luis mentioned. Sorry for the crappy quality, I took these pics with my iPod touch.

http://img803.imageshack.us/i/img0071i.jpg

http://img12.imageshack.us/i/img0072ev.jpg

http://img861.imageshack.us/i/img0073h.jpg

P.S. Q Train to Bedford Park!!!! Lolz

I also took an r68 (Q) train with the (Q6Av) but I took it at DeKalb Ave to Canal Street. When I went back to Brooklyn to get to Pacific Street, I saw an R68A (:P train on the (N)(Q) platform going to Brighton Beach. I have 3 pics of the (Q6Av) rollsign on that possible (Q) train Luis mentioned. Sorry for the crappy quality, I took these pics with my iPod touch.

http://img803.imageshack.us/i/img0071i.jpg

http://img12.imageshack.us/i/img0072ev.jpg

http://img861.imageshack.us/i/img0073h.jpg

P.S. Q Train to Bedford Park!!!! Lolz

lol i knew i wasnt bugging when i saw it because i was waiting for the (7) train to get to work, and i saw it pulling in at Queensboro Plaza on the Downtown track. i thought it was a rerouted (:P or (D) train, but the sign said (Q6Av), so i figured it was probably pulled off the (B). but yea, that was it.

From what I see in the picture, either the switch moved under the rider car or the last truck picked the switch. I don't think the train crew will be in any trouble, but they will be out of service until this is all sorted out. If anything, the TW/O at DeKalb could be in trouble unless there is a defect with the switch.

What keeps a switch from moving under a train?

What's a TW/O? How long do things like this take to be sorted out?

What keeps a switch from moving under a train?
It's supposed to be the block circuitry, so that when you enter the block, just like the signals turn red behind you, it's also supposed to lock out the switch from being moved. So they it wouldn't move even if they tried to activate the levers for it. So I don't know how this would happen, unless it was a serious malfunction.

What's a TW/O?
Tower Operator

It's supposed to be the block circuitry, so that when you enter the block, just like the signals turn red behind you, it's also supposed to lock out the switch from being moved. So they it wouldn't move even if they tried to activate the levers for it. So I don't know how this would happen, unless it was a serious malfunction.

That and the switch its self electrically locks in place. On some machines you can clear a line up as a train passes through the interlocking, but if there is a malfunction, this is the result. I'm still waiting to see what the official report says though, the last truck still could have picked the switch due too a worn flange on the truck.

Its also a push-button machine at Dekalb (automatic entrance-exit lineup sequence), not a conventional machine.

its crazy because out of all the derailments ive heard about, they mainly happen at DeKalb Av. thats the way i see it.

Archived