DC Screws Discount Bus Routes

Forest Glen

GPX is just a bit of incremental extra income in the US. The bus can make it carrying only passengers, but it could not carrying only express.

At one time, back in the sixties, GPX represented a much greater source of revenue than it does now. It was the time when the REA Express was unraveling to its end. And FEDEX had not yet started. And UPS was much smaller as well. During the period leading up to Christmas, there was so much express, that sometimes the 'combo' buses were supplemented with regular buses filled with express, including the seats and aisles, carrrying no passengers. The bus express market has dwindled pretty much, here.

GPX does offer a unique product... in many markets there is same day service available.

GPX is just a bit of incremental extra income in the US. The bus can make it carrying only passengers, but it could not carrying only express.

At one time, back in the sixties, GPX represented a much greater source of revenue than it does now. It was the time when the REA Express was unraveling to its end. And FEDEX had not yet started. And UPS was much smaller as well. During the period leading up to Christmas, there was so much express, that sometimes the 'combo' buses were supplemented with regular buses filled with express, including the seats and aisles, carrrying no passengers. The bus express market has dwindled pretty much, here.

GPX does offer a unique product... in many markets there is same day service available.

Thanks, its great to see how much things are different in Canada and the USA

It's actually not. Fung Wah and Lucky Star don't comply with the ADA act...try to ride one of their schedules as a ADA passenger!

Also FG and other are rejoicing over these guys....if GLI or PP go out of business who's gonna serve the Bridgeports,New Londons,and Newports of the Northeast. These guys are all about express service from major points....all these little stops will be in the dust if we go under!

Most of my future projects are going after the Bridgeports and New Londons of the world, so PLEASE don't tell the Chinese they exist. Don't tell Dattco either. These markets are where the yield still exists.

Now I agree with pretty much ML111 says.

However I'm looking at this issue from the point of a line run driver at the company that is being shrunk to grow others. Fact of the matter is that at Peter Pan, regardless of which company:mainline PP,Bonanza,or Arrow....our seniority has slid back by years due to the growth of Bolt and Mega among other. Bolt has had the biggest impact on operations on Peter Pan since the creation of the pool.

There has been no growth here only shrinkage. Mainline PP got thrown a bone w/the new "Express" service, but IMO it's gonna end up being a double edge sword because contract talks start in a couple of months, and I can guarantee that PP will go to the local 1512 and say "If you don't agree to our terms, then we will shrink the PP side of Express". And 1512 will back down like they always do, to protect the work. The issue with the new 4505s that Bolt got put a very nasty taste in the mouth of those of us at PP because those were buses that were diverted from our order. Just look at the interior. So Bolt gets new buses and our passengers get to ride on such lovely equipment as 538 and 549 for awhile longer.

The bottom of the lists at the PP companies are getting fed up with our work disappearing....which is why people keep leaving. Personally I don't see Peter Pan as a independent company 5 years from now. That why I'm gonna have to make a choice that will hurt me short term financially but give me long term stability.

However I'm looking at this issue from the point of a line run driver at the company that is being shrunk to grow others. Fact of the matter is that at Peter Pan, regardless of which company:mainline PP,Bonanza,or Arrow....our seniority has slid back by years due to the growth of Bolt and Mega among other. Bolt has had the biggest impact on operations on Peter Pan since the creation of the pool.

There has been no growth here only shrinkage. Mainline PP got thrown a bone w/the new "Express" service, but IMO it's gonna end up being a double edge sword because contract talks start in a couple of months, and I can guarantee that PP will go to the local 1512 and say "If you don't agree to our terms, then we will shrink the PP side of Express". And 1512 will back down like they always do, to protect the work. The issue with the new 4505s that Bolt got put a very nasty taste in the mouth of those of us at PP because those were buses that were diverted from our order. Just look at the interior. So Bolt gets new buses and our passengers get to ride on such lovely equipment as 538 and 549 for awhile longer.

The bottom of the lists at the PP companies are getting fed up with our work disappearing....which is why people keep leaving. Personally I don't see Peter Pan as a independent company 5 years from now. That why I'm gonna have to make a choice that will hurt me short term financially but give me long term stability.

Just curious, but in light of what your comments are, do you regret that Coach USA after its short custody of Bonanza, sold it to PP?

Do you think you might be better off today if BZ were still a part of Coach USA/Stagecoach?

Just think, instead of being suppressed by PP with their pool arrangement with GL, you would be actively competing against them both? That BZ would probably be operating the "Megabus" operation throughout New England?

It sucks that your company is losing money, but I'm not going to ride Greyhound or Peter Pan just so their employees have work. I'm going to ride the most comfortable and cheapest carrier, which is Bolt or Megabus.

Just curious, but in light of what your comments are, do you regret that Coach USA after its short custody of Bonanza, sold it to PP?

Do you think you might be better off today if BZ were still a part of Coach USA/Stagecoach?

Just think, instead of being suppressed by PP with their pool arrangement with GL, you would be actively competing against them both? That BZ would probably be operating the "Megabus" operation throughout New England?

Most if not all the operators at BZ think that we would have been better off if we were still under the CUSA umbrella. The difference in CUSA and PP ownership is that CUSA kept most of Mr Sage's senior managers and left them alone to run Bonanza as they always had. PP came in and installed their own people and their policies that don't fit into how we operate. They have all but destroyed the profitable commuter runs. And I won't get into their criteria on extra sections. When George Sage was around if there was 1 passenger left behind then the extra section was going, I left 15 passengers at Kennedy Plaza last Friday on the 1pm Prov-NY,and they told me to tell the people that they would be priority on the 3pm. It's policies like this that frustrate the drivers and are driving the passengers away. People will pay more for the service if they feel they are getting the money worth and sadly to say at times we are failing.

Most if not all the operators at BZ think that we would have been better off if we were still under the CUSA umbrella. The difference in CUSA and PP ownership is that CUSA kept most of Mr Sage's senior managers and left them alone to run Bonanza as they always had. PP came in and installed their own people and their policies that don't fit into how we operate. They have all but destroyed the profitable commuter runs. And I won't get into their criteria on extra sections. When George Sage was around if there was 1 passenger left behind then the extra section was going, I left 15 passengers at Kennedy Plaza last Friday on the 1pm Prov-NY,and they told me to tell the people that they would be priority on the 3pm. It's policies like this that frustrate the drivers and are driving the passengers away. People will pay more for the service if they feel they are getting the money worth and sadly to say at times we are failing.

I kind of suspected that would more or less be your answer. You have my symphathy.

I know what it is like to be part of a first-class operation for years, and suddenly be pulled down toward the level of service rendered by a "partner" carrier, not all the way, for sure, but certainly not what the founders of our company provided....

It's actually not. Fung Wah and Lucky Star don't comply with the ADA act...try to ride one of their schedules as a ADA passenger!

Also FG and other are rejoicing over these guys....if GLI or PP go out of business who's gonna serve the Bridgeports,New Londons,and Newports of the Northeast. These guys are all about express service from major points....all these little stops will be in the dust if we go under!

Then if not ADA compliant dont use them use the mainlines who are these guys dont do anything unique they keep costs down

But there are people that have to go to those "arbitrary" towns. Take for example Danielson,CT. Bonanza is the only "public" transit people in that area have. 2 buses to Prov/Boston and 2 Hartford/NYC a day....and they USE it. If for some chance Bonanza was to go away, what options would those people have. You just can't discount a service because YOU don't use it. Isn't that what got you all bent out of shape in the express bus thread?

Peter Pan,Greyhound,Trailways,Concord Coach and P & B provide essential service thoughout the Northeast. Not every run can be express nor should it be.

O and they have a useless local bus that doesnt leave their town. As well I made a CT state plan that addresses most transit problems in CT with creative approaches non traditional.

Archived