Bee-Line buses

DOB2RTO

Now, it has been years since I been on a Bee-Line bus, but last week on Monday I took a ride, and it was a 600 series bus Orion V bus. Ride was way smoother than anything I have driven at NYCTA, but then the NYCTA buses do take more of a whippin'. What impressed me was the Stop Requseted sign, and most of all the interior destination sign, which displayed 2 242st Subway. Most TA's are becoming ADA compliant. But I remember when the 400 series Orion V came in, and they had a uniformed announcement played everytime the bus doors opened. Announcements like Route 2 Tudor Woods, or Route 6 White Plains, etc....NYCTA do this but with the actual drivers voice, after the driver programs it, and have to keep re-doing it every time the bus is cut off, and restarted. We have no interior destination sign, only on the Subways (New Tech cars). For such a large TA we are behind the times, and with the ammount of Federal money coming in to be ADA compliant, we should have all this stuff that a far smaller TA has.

Liberty Lines keep the Bee-Line buses, in the best condition (washed, rims sparkling, no dents, and no hideous marks). Now the MTA is doing this with the level II placed next to the bus number, in the front. 5666, 5641, and a few other arctics, at the Farms have this. This means the bus is freshly painted, dents and ugly marks are gone, and the depot managers will be looking at these buses extra closely. If it wasn't for the 30 years, and 62 years of age requirement for Liberty Lines, I would of accepted their offer to drive for them. I got a call from them the same exact day I got a letter from MTA, for the B/O position. Due to the fact I took and passed the T/O exam I decided to go with the MTA to get my foot in the door, just in case if I fail any test in RTO, and get dismissed, at least I can go back to the DOB, instead of being out of the MTA all together. Driving a bus that is in immaculate condition, makes one drive with pride, and more safer as you are trying to not put a scratch on it. Driving a bus that looks like it was in one too many accidents, makes one not care too much if it gets another one. That is why the Bee-Line is one of my favorite transit systems. MTA only beats them due to the New tech Subway and Commuter trains.

So what exactly would make you change your mind to stay driving buses and not a train.

If you are asking me, nothing made me stay driving a bus, instead of a train. I said, I had the opportunity to drive for Liberty Lines, or MTA (MaBSTOA), since I got both notices on the same date. I went with the MTA due to the fact that I am on the list for T/O, so driving a bus for them would have my foot in the door at the MTA. That was the smart thing to do. Why, is because with 1 year with them I will be a promotional going to RTO, instead of an O/C. That means if I mess up big time, I will be able to go back to the DOB. I would not be out of a job with the MTA.

When the subway calls me, and they are getting real close now (I just called DCAS), nothing will change my mind to stay in the DOB. The only way back there for me, is for them to send me back.

It's a fact that Nassau & Suffolk county police get paid much more than city cops. How is it with Bee-Line bus, do they pay more than city bus operators?

For a few months after they went off strike Liberty Lines drivers did make more at top pay ($25+). After our contract was ratified, we make more, ($26+). Again remember Bee-Line is the WCDOT buses, but the main drivers, and mechanics work for Liberty Lines. They are TWU Local 100 just like us, and we (mainly OA) even honor their badges/passes, as they do ours.

I agree Bee-Line is an excellent company. I like how every stop has the list of the times that the bus arrives at the stop. Only downside are their hours of operation on some routes (especially the 5 and the 61)

The 5, and 6 Sunday schedule stink. IIRC it is every 2 hours. The 8 does not run, as neither the 30 on Sundays. The 8 should run on Sunday. The 25 should run later on Sundays. Alot of improvement has to be done. My guess is the ridership #'s at those time of night, and on Sundays are not worth sending the buses out at that time of night, or that frequently.

I've lived in NYC all my life and couldn't imagine living in a city where the transit system doesn't run 24 hours a day. But I understand the circumstances that some cities and towns just can't.

Agreed, entirely. I must have some nerve when I complain about the Bx19 in my neighborhood only running every 50 minutes in the later hours of the night! Can't even begin to imagine what it would be like living in a city where public transportation would be completely inaccessible at those hours.

Agreed, entirely. I must have some nerve when I complain about the Bx19 in my neighborhood only running every 50 minutes in the later hours of the night! Can't even begin to imagine what it would be like living in a city where public transportation would be completely inaccessible at those hours.

I can. My mother carried me onto those buses, and when I was able to ride them by my lonesome, I used them until I was 19 years old (got a car then). When I looked for jobs in Westchester during those times, my job schedule had to revolve around what time the buses started, and/or ended.

Last, yes you have some nerve complaining about my bus route. My feelings are hurt now, LOL!

I want someone to post some Bee-Line buses so we could get a look at them.

You could get an upclose look. To see alot of them, even the arctics, just take the 2 train to the 1 train. When you take the 1, go to the last stop NB (Van Cortlandt). Go downstairs and you will see alot of them.

Last, yes you have some nerve complaining about my bus route. My feelings are hurt now, LOL!

Um....it just happens to be my favorite bus route in the whole city! (That's probably because it's the one I'm most familiar with, since I ride it all the time!) And I have every right to complain about my own neighborhood! Hah!

(Just kidding, of course!)

You could get an upclose look. To see alot of them, even the arctics, just take the 2 train to the 1 train. When you take the 1, go to the last stop NB (Van Cortlandt). Go downstairs and you will see alot of them.

Or you can go to Bedford Park Boulevard and Jerome Avenue for the 20 and the 4. Or to Fordham Plaza for the 60 and 61.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived