Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
mark1447

R10 and R42 conversion Question

What was the purpose of this R10 car having a front face of the R42? Was it suppose to bring the R10 into service through the 1990s and 2000s?

225848_1999092786961_1532774378_2146218_4595197_n.jpg

Edited by mark1447

I think so.

It do looks a little bit weird. The roundings at the front don't match with the rest of the body at all. But it would've been cool so have some R16's still in service in the 2000's :(

Whoops forgot it was an R10. Thanks. But still wondering what the rebuilt was for.

It was a test thing like SevenEleven said. That car was in an accident and rebuilt with a R42 front but they scrapped the whole thing for some reason without it leaving the shop

r16's weren't built with a r42 front they were built with a r 142 b end but with a single storm door and a destination sign like on r62's.

r16's weren't built with a r42 front they were built with a r 142 b end but with a single storm door and a destination sign like on r62's.

I hope you know what you're talking about cause i don't see anything about the R16 that looks like an R62 or R142.they look nothing like those cars.

I do! It's in a book called new york subway cars, the one i have is out of print but they did just release a 5th and updated edition. it was car 6429 and was remodeled at 207th in 1979, but was scrapped(i assume it never left the shop so it was scrapped the same year)r16mod1.jpgPlease ignore the scribbles, i was like 5 or something when i did it. and sorry for quality and it being reversed it was taken on my mac webcam.

I hope you know what you're talking about cause i don't see anything about the R16 that looks like an R62 or R142.they look nothing like those cars.

Also when i said it looked like a r142 with single leaf storm door, i meant the blind end the one with no cab. just wanted to clear that up;)

Guest lance25

That doesn't even look like an NYC Subway train. It looks more like one of the many mockups Hollywood uses when depicting our subway system here.

That doesn't even look like an NYC Subway train. It looks more like one of the many mockups Hollywood uses when depicting our subway system here.

I agree.it looks like a Hollywood mock-up car.

I do! It's in a book called new york subway cars, the one i have is out of print but they did just release a 5th and updated edition.

Woah, really? I've been waiting for that to come out for a little while =) Thanks for the news. Is it the one from Sansone, or is it another publication?

woah, really? I've been waiting for that to come out for a little while =) thanks for the news. Is it the one from sansone, or is it another publication?

no prob!;)

I do! It's in a book called new york subway cars, the one i have is out of print but they did just release a 5th and updated edition. it was car 6429 and was remodeled at 207th in 1979, but was scrapped(i assume it never left the shop so it was scrapped the same year)r16mod1.jpgPlease ignore the scribbles, i was like 5 or something when i did it. and sorry for quality and it being reversed it was taken on my mac webcam.
Yes I heard about this train.It had a similar interior to the R44.Another wild 207th street experiment