New Flyer C40LF Discussion

KNIGHTRIDER3:16

This is not necessarily true anymore due to the rise in oil prices in recent years and the fall in natural gas prices due to the tremendous growth in U.S. domestic gas production.  Recent studies are finding that CNG buses are cheaper to operate over the standard 12-year life cycle of a heavy-duty transit bus even when factoring in the higher bus purchase price and the construction and operational cost of a CNG refueling facility.  I think the MTA thought they could avoid the capital costs of building CNG refueling facilities by going with hybrid buses but clearly did not expect these would be so costly to operate.  The economics of CNG may cause the MTA to chnage its mind again.

By the time they change their mind, graphene supercapacitors for energy storage for EV buses will make the ICE obsolete.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update: The C40 order is on hold for spec changes. Buses 631-672 will feature LED lights. The other changes/upgrades are not yet known.

Delivery of the last buses are now scheduled to arrive at Gleason in June.

Are all of the remaining buses delayed until June?

• 1 month later...

I saw 658 on rt 110 S/B waiting to turn left near rt 109(?) (bus was almost diagonal taking up both turn lanes like it had almost missed the turn)...  I assume it was on the way to NEBR's facility in Deer Park?    Has this bus entered services yet? 

Archived