Subway and Hand Hygiene

juliamaks

LOL... I'm a dude and I totally agree. For starters, I try not to use the subway unless I have to. When I do, I always stand and try to avoid touching anything AND anyone. It's becoming second nature to see bums on the subways these days, so better to get a spot to yourself where possible. I will use the hand bars if necessary and then whenever I get back to the office or get home, the first thing I'll do is immediately go and wash my hands with soap and hot water. Some folks like that anti-bacterial crap, but I don't like that stuff. Makes my hands feel dirtier. :eek:

I was on the (5) this time and the woman next to me gets on and takes out a bunch of napkins and puts them on the pole. Wipes the pole down and then holds on with a napkin. Who does that? On a (5) in Harlem? I figured I'd have a little fun, I took out a receipt from my pocket and put it on the pole and put my hand on top so it'd look like I had a napkin too. Probably didn't win any friendship with her but the guy next to me cracked up laughing, guess I looked a little out of place with that...

As for the serious bit, I'm friends with a guy at NYU Medical and if you've ever taken the (6) early morning, you'll see all the nurses in scrubs. I say to him, isn't that incredibly dirty to be wearing, y'know, sanitary hospital clothing on the train? He told me that they got more germs on their scrubs walking on the street than on the train.

Moral of the story, the subway is not that dirty (not more than the street) and you can use a few germs to keep the old immune system working.

Maybe that would be more believable if the subway didn't look so filthy. Truth be told IMO, since Bloomberg has taken over the city in general is dirtier. The only advantage to living in the city is having most things nearby, but other than that whoever wants to live in Manhattan can have it. The tourists must think that we're absolute animals as filthy as the streets are. Even 5th Avenue leaves something to be desired these days.

As for the serious bit, I'm friends with a guy at NYU Medical and if you've ever taken the (6) early morning, you'll see all the nurses in scrubs. I say to him, isn't that incredibly dirty to be wearing, y'know, sanitary hospital clothing on the train? He told me that they got more germs on their scrubs walking on the street than on the train.

I work in a hospital in the city as well and we're forbidden to wear scrubs on the subway/ walking outside. We're supposed to come in wearing street clothes and change when we're there. Its written right into the employee handbook, but unfortunately its barely enforced. So dangerous in my opinion.

I always carry a bottle of hand santizer with me in my bookbag pouch(where drinks are held) or in my pocket.When I hold I and have short sleeve I will hold on barehanded if I have a sweater I will pull my arm back a bit and let the sweater grip while my barehand grips the inside holding on.If I don't have neither then o well.

There should be a "I personally don't give a flying f*ck" option. But that's just personal opinion. Otherwise if I have a little bottle of hand sanitizer I'll gladly use that when needed. Like i'm not gonna be an obsessive freak and avoid every object in sight that I see that has the potential to carry a germ.

I always carry a bottle of hand santizer with me in my bookbag pouch(where drinks are held) or in my pocket.When I hold I and have short sleeve I will hold on barehanded if I have a sweater I will pull my arm back a bit and let the sweater grip while my barehand grips the inside holding on.If I don't have neither then o well.

Hand Sanitizer ftw!

I don't practice any extra hand hygiene/ germ prevention methods. I don't carry hand sanitizer or paper towels with me. I hold the pole, I sit on the seats. I don't do anything different. Why? Because really when you think about it, the place you're going (whether it's school, work, bank, post office, ANY public building, and most likely private buildings too) is just as dirty as the subway. I take the train everyday without hand sanitizer, and I'm not dead yet. I'm sure you'll be fine.

As I said in some other thread, I have a paper napkin/towel. I use that to hold onto a pole. If I don't have either, I go for the bathroom of the place I'm going to to wash my hands. I'm not going to go nuts because I had to touch the dirty poles. Just don't touch your face or food with those hands after being on public transportation.

As I said in some other thread, I have a paper napkin/towel. I use that to hold onto a pole. If I don't have either, I go for the bathroom of the place I'm going to to wash my hands. I'm not going to go nuts because I had to touch the dirty poles. Just don't touch your face or food with those hands after being on public transportation.

I agree... Anyone with commonsense knows that the subway is filither than many other places. I don't know if anyone remembers that study that was done years ago about whether or not the subways had germs or whatever or the poles? The (MTA) made that quiet real fast. lol

I'm sure that wrinkled up dollar bill in your wallet has been touched well over a thousand times. Keepin' it real, I'm not going to whip out a bottle of hand sanitizer everytime I buy a pack of M&M's.

Yes, money is dirty, which is why I carry very little of it around. Anything I need I can use my card for.

I agree... Anyone with commonsense knows that the subway is filither than many other places. I don't know if anyone remembers that study that was done years ago about whether or not the subways had germs or whatever or the poles? The (MTA) made that quiet real fast. lol
An office keyboard or handling money can be just as filthy. So please, don't generalize that germs are only on the subways. Germs are everywhere.

Ultimately, everyone will eventually get coughed on and everyone gets sick. The only way to avoid germs is to live in a bubble. I try to follow common sense by using hand sanitizer before I eat a sandwich or after I use the bathroom. I'm not one of those germophobes who touches a subway pole with a paper towel.

An office keyboard or handling money can be just as filthy. So please, don't generalize that germs are only on the subways. Germs are everywhere.

You're right. The difference is you can minimize that by either avoiding those things or cleaning them. I don't use money very often and instead just swipe my card, thus cutting down my use of cash and exposure to germs. I clean my office regularly as well as my keyboard and such. Can't do that on the subway unless you're a nut job, so I just use commonsense and wash my hands several times a day. I don't believe in hand sanitizer either or napkins, just touch the pole with my hand and don't go rubbing your eyes and such and wash your hands ALWAYS before eating or whenever necessary.

I have folks from all over the world come into my office since I'm in the language industry and believe me, there are times where I shake someone's hand from being courteous, but I may be so disgusted (maybe they smell or something) that I will go and wash my hands immediately after and sometimes fumigate my office if need be. :eek: lol The key thing is to limit your exposure to things that CAN get you sick, hence why I rarely get sick. People overall are rather nasty and will pretend that they're clean while others are around, so folks would be wise to take certain measures to protect themselves. I'm not saying go crazy with it, but like I said commonsense is golden.

Archived