Meanwhile, behind the Iron Curtain....

R10 2952

Meant to post these sooner, but didn't get around to it until now. These are pictures of trains and buses in Poland from the time I was there last summer, so here goes:

poland2010017.jpg

The bus shown above and below is the intercity Jelcz PR110D coach, produced in Poland from 1984 to 1992. This was a relatively successful bus model, but it was never the most popular one out there. This particular one, though, is unique because it is one of the few left that still is relatively original, with virtually no alterations.

poland2010016.jpg

Next is the train station in Miedzyzdroje, located in northwestern Poland-

poland2010045.jpg

poland2010044.jpg

Below is a passenger rail car of Polish State Railways. The builder's plate of the car listed the build date as 1960, meaning that this passenger car was 50 years old at the time (and still in active service) when the photo was taken. The interior and its styling dates back to about 1977 or so-

poland2010024.jpg

poland2010025.jpg

poland2010047.jpg

Here is a Polish State Railways EP-07 electric locomotive. This locomotive type dates back to 1971, and is still common today-

poland2010046.jpg

Hammer of Safety FAIL-

poland2010023.jpg

Next up, we have the Soviet ZiU-9 trolleybus, produced since 1973. These were the mainstay of the trolleybus fleet in Lublin, Poland from 1975 until the early 1990s. Of about 138 of these trolleybuses, this is the only one of them left-

poland2010085.jpg

The Hungarian Ikarus 280.26 articulated buses shown here are 3 of about 125 of these buses that at one point or another ran on the streets of Lublin from 1982 up to today-

poland2010051.jpg

poland2010107.jpg

poland2010108.jpg

Currently, only 7 such buses remain in service, and they are slated to be retired by the end of this year. Fortunately, though, the oldest one has been preserved, and is currently being restored to its original appearance.

Below is an Ikarus 260 from 1984. Originally, the bus was an articulated Ikarus 280.26, but this articulated bus, along with 6 others, was shortened to standard length during general overhauls in the years 2005-2007. The designation for an original standard-length Ikarus is 260.04, so since this is a conversion, it is internally designated as Ikarus 260.26. Currently, 6 (including this one) are still operating-

poland2010050.jpg

In any case, they are going to be around slightly longer than their articulated counterparts; the articulateds are being retired by December of this year, whereas the standard length Ikarus buses will be around until about mid-2012.

Finally, we come to the Jelcz PR-110E, delivered to Lublin fro about 1988 to 1990-

poland2010110.jpg

Currently, they are the backbone of the trolleybus fleet; only later this year will the first mass-replacements start arriving. Nevertheless, the last one will probably not be retired until the beginning of 2013, if not later.

Hope you all enjoy the pics:cool:

• 1 month later...

In any case, I'll be going to Poland again this summer as well, so I'll have a chance to bring back plenty of photos of buses and trains from over there. When I come back, be prepared for an eyeful!

Nice!:tup:

I like that green one.

That red artic looks like it would disintegrate on the streets of NY!:P

Thanks, and yes, that red articulated bus would probably not last long on our New York streets. It's enough of a miracle that it hasn't disintegrated on the streets over there in Poland, after ~25 years of service and counting LOL.

Archived