Mth R40 set-wheels spinning. Any ideas???

I have a MTH R40 set and i love it. I am having a problem with the motor car trying to pull 6 cars and sometimes even just the 4 car without the 2 car add on.

I clean the track and the wheels. Should i change out the traction tires??? I have only had it a month but i dont know how long it's been sitting in the box.

I use a MTH Z1000 power supply. It really struggles with the 2 car add on. I turn the power on and the motor wheels just spin...

Can anybody please help????

Thanks.

Hmm.. I've heard about this before on some other sets as well. My R40 can pull up to 7 cars with no problem. If your the first person to run the set, then the Traction tires shouldn't be an issue. If your the 2nd owner of the set, and somebody has been running it for a while, then the tires should/could be changed. Cleaning the tracks is a big 'yes', so that's good that you keep the rails clean. Lubing the wheels shouldn't be an everyday thing though. Is there sound? Do you hear the announcements in the back ground when you turn it on? "This is an 70(F), 6 Av Express". If you at least hear that, then thats good. Headlights work?

I bought the set new and everything works fine, except for this problem. If i take off the speed control then i can run the 6 car, but when i use speed control then the wheels just spin and the train doesn't go anywhere.

I noticed that one of the traction tires appeared shiney.

I wish i could make a video but i dont have the equipment. It appears that all four traction tires are on the wheels any one does have a shine to it. I've only had the set about 1 month. It runs okay with just 4 cars. One of the traction tires has small cracks in it.

Do you use speed control with 7 cars?

You definitely want to change the cracked traction tire to a brand new one. No speed control for 6 to 7 Cars, just normal in conventional mode. It sounds like something is holding the wheels back from rotating without speed control turned on. It seems that the wheels are locked up. Are you using the MTH "Red Grease bottle fluid" on the axels?

no...i have a Lionel grease and oil set. I'll change the traction tires and see if that helps. I have lubed the wheels but not greased the gears since its brand new. I wonder how long it had been in the box?? I think MTH produced the R40 in 2008.

Thanks for the kind words on my layout. Any ways, you definitely want to get yourself some grease for the gears and some oil. That can be the issue. I used to have a problem with my Lionel Dash-9 Santa Fe years back, and the issue was, no oil or grease. Wouldn't take off. Im not sure what else the problem could be..

Archived