May 2011 Committee Meeting (bus orders too)

Amtrak7

http://mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/110523_1115_BUS.pdf

First the service changes:

-Q10 Lefferts Bl via Pan Am Rd instead of Belt Pkwy service road (Sep 2011)

-QM10/QM11 reroute in Queens (minor)

Now the bus orders (apologize if this has been posted elsewhere):

-328 artic order to go to Nova BUS. (delivery 8/2011-4/2013) (48 to expand artic service, rest to replace old buses) (page 55)

--New Flyer 90 Artics coming.

-250 New Flyer CNG option exercised; delivery by Oct 2012. JG, CP, SC. (page 57)

http://mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/110523_1115_BUS.pdf

First the service changes:

-Q10 Lefferts Bl via Pan Am Rd instead of Belt Pkwy service road (Sep 2011)

-QM10/QM11 reroute in Queens (minor)

Now the bus orders (apologize if this has been posted elsewhere):

-328 artic order to go to Nova BUS. (delivery 8/2011-4/2013) (48 to expand artic service, rest to replace old buses) (page 55)

--New Flyer 90 Artics coming.

-250 New Flyer CNG option exercised; delivery by Oct 2012. JG, CP, SC. (page 57)

Thanks for update.:tup:

Lol, the rumors of a ~300-unit LFS Artic order were true! Can't wait to see if these buses have LFX roofing or standard roofing.

They weren't rumors! http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=422199&postcount=439

The Nova order was behind schedule, and the award date changed several times. I got word that an order for 328 units was final some time ago. Some pricing issues and other things just needed to be worked out. Some of these artics will be deployed in Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island.

The C40LF option was increased and accelerated. (320-569)

Looks like West Farms will not get any of the 1st option buses. Spring Creek gets dibs on this one as suspected.

In other news, Orion is conducting pre-production planning for their 90 3G test buses.

The Nova order was behind schedule, and the award date changed several times. I got word that an order for 328 units was final some time ago. Some pricing issues and other things just needed to be worked out. Some of these artics will be deployed in Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island.

Artics on Staten Island? Trippers on the S53/S79 from a Brooklyn depot, maybe...

I believe College Pt should get most of the C40LF than Spring Creek because they have more busier routes and they haven't gotten any new local buses since 1999 but Spring Creek got some in 2006. Spring Creek should only get 10 for right now and wait until next year for the other C40LF's to arrive.

I believe College Pt should get most of the C40LF than Spring Creek because they have more busier routes and they haven't gotten any new local buses since 1999 but Spring Creek got some in 2006. Spring Creek should only get 10 for right now and wait until next year for the other C40LF's to arrive.

Some of the 800's may get transferred over to CP.

Why is the (MTA) buying CNGs. They say their buses are good for the environment, yet they always have the option of buying hybrids but choose not to. Come on, I thought we were past CNG. I mean, the Orion VII NG HEVs proved to be worth the money.

Why is the (MTA) buying CNGs. They say their buses are good for the environment, yet they always have the option of buying hybrids but choose not to. Come on, I thought we were past CNG. I mean, the Orion VII NG HEVs proved to be worth the money.

Huh??? What do you mean past CNG, and choosing not to buy hybrids? MTA has something like 1,676 hybrids.

CNG operations are being expanded at Spring Creek, and the new Mother Clara Hale depot may house and fuel CNG buses as well. I don't know how you thought the TA was done with CNG. In a way, they are just getting started!

Huh??? What do you mean past CNG, and choosing not to buy hybrids? MTA has something like 1,676 hybrids.

CNG operations are being expanded at Spring Creek, and the new Mother Clara Hale depot may house and fuel CNG buses as well. I don't know how you thought the TA was done with CNG. In a way, they are just getting started!

WHAT???!!! Can you talk more about this right here? Would Mother Hale become a full CNG depot like College Point?

I mean you see the ads on NYC buses and banners at Hicksville LIRR Station that the MTA is working to have buses better for the environment and transportation made better. Sure, they recommend carpooling, but if they're working with the environment, this isn't the answer. Buying more CNGs creates more pollution, which is why we started buying hybrids. But then, why stop buying environmentally-safe buses and buy CNGs that pollute. The hybrids are quieter too and there's less heat when sitting in the back of the bus. Why order so many new Nova LFS'?

WHAT???!!! Can you talk more about this right here? Would Mother Hale become a full CNG depot like College Point?

It's a rumor my brother (ex-ENY B/O) and myself heard from like 10 different people collectively over the past 8 months. I only mentioned it one other time. Blitz, who is in maintenance said he heard it as well. So it may be a real possibility.

I mean you see the ads on NYC buses and banners at Hicksville LIRR Station that the MTA is working to have buses better for the environment and transportation made better. Sure, they recommend carpooling, but if they're working with the environment, this isn't the answer. Buying more CNGs creates more pollution, which is why we started buying hybrids. But then, why stop buying environmentally-safe buses and buy CNGs that pollute. The hybrids are quieter too and there's less heat when sitting in the back of the bus. Why order so many new Nova LFS'?

CNG is cleaner than diesel my man. Diesel-Electric hybrid is about as clean. When CNG-Electric hybrid hits the scene, the only thing cleaner will be Fuel Cell, and dominant electric power plants.

CNG is cleaner than diesel my man. Diesel-Electric hybrid is about as clean. When CNG-Electric hybrid hits the scene, the only thing cleaner will be Fuel Cell, and dominant electric power plants.

Really??? That's news to me, but, I learn something new every day!

It's a rumor my brother (ex-ENY B/O) and myself heard from like 10 different people collectively over the past 8 months. I only mentioned it one other time. Blitz, who is in maintenance said he heard it as well. So it may be a real possibility.

And of course quite a bit of that natural gas comes from the good old USA (or at least it can, in theory), which is always a plus in my book.

Its sad that fuel cell technology is still in its infancy.

Its sad that fuel cell technology is still in its infancy.

Right. With 20 New Flyer H40LFR, BC Transit in Canada has the worlds largest fuel cell fleet.

At $2.1 Million each, they are the only New Flyer fuel cells in service. Last I heard they were preforming well above expectations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTIC5oZwAwU&NR=1

Right. With 20 New Flyer H40LFR, BC Transit in Canada has the worlds largest fuel cell fleet.

At $2.1 Million each, they are the only New Flyer fuel cells in service. Last I heard they were preforming well above expectations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTIC5oZwAwU&NR=1

The only problem is the $2.1 million price tag. That price tag can get you one R160, or two NovaLFSAs with enough left over for a nice Mercedes Benz, or a R62.

Archived