1995 Orion Vs

SIR North Shore

It seems with all the new bus deliveries everyone seems to have forgotten about the 1995 Orion Vs that made up a good portion of the fleet. IMO, they had the best sound of any fleet, best A/C and they would still be able to run today if Castleton and Kingsbridge didn't let them rot and actually maintained them. Casey Stengel's 1995 O5 fleet lasted the longest out of all them but when they got transferred to Staten Island it was the end of that fleet forever.

It seems with all the new bus deliveries everyone seems to have forgotten about the 1995 Orion Vs that made up a good portion of the fleet. IMO, they had the best sound of any fleet, best A/C and they would still be able to run today if Castleton and Kingsbridge didn't let them rot and actually maintained them. Casey Stengel's 1995 O5 fleet lasted the longest out of all them but when they got transferred to Staten Island it was the end of that fleet forever.

Casey Stengel still has some 1996 Orion V's that are in good shape. They also have 6000's from castleton that were rushed, and there fine. On one thing, Gun Hill shouldn't get thos 1996's. They are bad.

My thanks to the Thread Starter for opening this topic. I remember the '95 Orion V's They were a great ride on the (Q20)A & (Q76). Plus I remember when some of them was @ QV. Their interior sound was the best. If I had knew they were going to retire in 2010. I would've hunted them.

Gosh I miss them:(

Ok, done griveing now. Whew!

Good bye and good riddance... Bring on the Novas. Those buses have REAL A/C and much better seats in terms of being comfy and clean. :cool:

Hater !!! :(

If you were to ride Bee-Line's 2006 600-series and 2008 800-series suburban Orion 5s I think you'd have a different mindset.

What are you talking about? Kingsbridge's Orion V's are one the best in the whole city. I think they run better then the artics.

I have to agree, the artics are terrible up there in KB. The Orion Vs run pretty damn well.

Hater !!! B)

If you were to ride Bee-Line's 2006 600-series and 2008 800-series suburban Orion 5s I think you'd have a different mindset.

Bee Line's 600s are terrible, they too lack strong suspensions. The 800s are ok, rode them once and they were a comfortable ride.

Orion 5.501s for life!!! :rock:

I agree, my second favorite HF bus behind the RTS. I remember the first time I rode on a Orion V, it was on the Q35 like around 2003 or so, I thought it was a new bus at the time... loved them ever since, weather its a CNG or a Diesel.

I miss those L10 powered Orions that LIB had. B)

Good bye and good riddance... Bring on the Novas. Those buses have REAL A/C and much better seats in terms of being comfy and clean. :cool:

Yea, the Orion V's are nice and foamy from a busfan POV but TBH the ride quality sucks on most of them, esp the A/C. The PBL suburbans are a nice ride IMO... I still wish they was on the BM's... Still enjoy riding em on the B103. The Green line Orions were a nice ride back then too, it was a treat to get one during the Green Line days.

The NOVAS has Crappy AC/ If you ride in the back THERE IS NO AC! Its a piss poor design. The Prevost mechanics at Castleton said that the blower motor is up in the front of the bus and that its not strong enough to blow to the rear. They need a set up like on the MCI's blowers in the middle of the bus pushing to both ends.

The NOVAS has Crappy AC/ If you ride in the back THERE IS NO AC! Its a piss poor design. The Prevost mechanics at Castleton said that the blower motor is up in the front of the bus and that its not strong enough to blow to the rear. They need a set up like on the MCI's blowers in the middle of the bus pushing to both ends.

Well now that's why I never sit in the back of those buses. B) All of the new buses I've been on have been like ice boxes, just the way I like it. :cool: Probably just not turning the A/C up high enough that's all. I do have a question though. I notice with the new buses they seem to be trying to make it harder and harder for folks to just open the windows if the A/C is broken or the B/O doesn't have any air on. I find that really annoying. I mean there should be some sort of rule that some sort of ventiliation should be on on all buses at all times so that you don't get on a bus that smells like @ss. Why is it that the subways always have ventilation on (accept for when it is broken) but the buses are hit or miss, especially the local buses on Staten Island?? Usually in the city, the local buses always have ventilation on. What gives??

What are you talking about? Kingsbridge's Orion V's are one the best in the whole city. I think they run better then the artics.

I'll have to disagree the Orion V's have broke down a lot of times in the winter which is why artics appeared on the BX3 a few times this past winter.They look good from the outside but they're dirty on the inside and had a lot of brake problems and sounded weird.6256,6258, and other 62xx series moved around alot btwn the 18,3,7 b\c of the problems.But the best ones are in SI.

I'll have to disagree the Orion V's have broke down a lot of times in the winter which is why artics appeared on the BX3 a few times this past winter.They look good from the outside but they're dirty on the inside and had a lot of brake problems and sounded weird.6256,6258, and other 62xx series moved around alot btwn the 18,3,7 b\c of the problems.But the best ones are in SI.

Your logic fails, both the artics and the Orion Vs have broken down a lot of times in The Bronx. Thats one very...very...moot point. And buses dont move around from route to route because of problems, they move around in general!

I still agree with Melvin's post, those Orion Vs are MUCH BETTER than ALL of KB's artics

IMO, they had the best sound of any fleet, best A/C and they would still be able to run today if Castleton and Kingsbridge didn't let them rot and actually maintained them.

Staten Island maintainers have a history of not touching buses on straight time. If the shift is 6:00AM-2:00PM, they just sit around for 8 hours and won't touch anything until 2:01PM to get another 8 hours pay (at time-and-a-half, of course). This has gone on for so long that it's now an official "past practice" which must be preserved at all costs.

Orion 5.501s for life!!! :rock:

I agree man. I so miss the 1999 Orion V's at Suffolk Transit, they had power and a nice sturdy ride. These new Orion VII's aren't as sturdy and I dont like the seating.

There's still a few around, for now. LIB still has plenty for now, I'm always happy when I get one. The 1700s have the worst ride and seating configuration. Flew out of my seat crossing Stewart Ave the other day!

When low floor buses first came I thought they were cool, but I've come to hate them now. The ride and visibility of the Orion V is far superior.

I loved those '95s riding them in and around Flushing years ago and the sound of that engine combo.

IMO the best set of O5's KB ever had was 6031-6063 and those were the 1st ones that got shipped out to SI then CS and they got replaced with 4-5xxs which CAS let rot all the way through. The 6200s get swapped in and out the depot alot.

the hills might have a lot to do with the conditions of KB's buses. The NGs have a weird sound effect as well and I haven't really noticed on other depots buses. Especially when going uphill. The Artics need to be replaced, they're beat to death.

Bout time someone started this thread.Arguarably one of the best buses if not the best bus ever built.I rode my first O5 out of Stengel back in the mid 1990s and Instantly foamed,but I rode them when Orion was BIA (Bus Industries of America) They had the turbo,the horse power and that utilitarian feel.The O5 began the Boxy bus revolution.Now Im a bit mixed with the Orion hybrids.They are lacking that O5 feel.They feel cheap and light.None the less.

This post was sponsored by Daimler Commercial buses and me.:(

Nice, I didn't think this many people would agree with me. :tup:

What truly made me post this, was after a month of catching only Hybrids and LFS's. There's nothing interesting about those two fleets at all. And Castleton and KB are good these days but when the '95 O5s were still in service they were very lax with the maintenance.

Nice, I didn't think this many people would agree with me. :tup:

What truly made me post this, was after a month of catching only Hybrids and LFS's. There's nothing interesting about those two fleets at all. And Castleton and KB are good these days but when the '95 O5s were still in service they were very lax with the maintenance.

I actually think the NGs are nice to look at, but not at all practical and the LFS's are okay in the front, but rather hideous in the back and that signage is especially horrible. Nevertheless I still prefer the LFS's in terms of functionality (i.e. the layout, etc.) and the climate control.

The best Orion V fleet was at Casey Stengel!!!! Their 600s are sounding good and clean!!!! I LOVED their 1993-1006 Orion Vs!!! That depot was the Orion V depot untill the OGs started arriving. When they arrived they started transferring the Orion Vs to other depots and scraping them!!!! Those 6000 series sound AWESOME. Go out to CS and get some taste of Detroit Diesel Series 50!!! :tup::tup:

Archived