My 'Unofficial' Guide to NYC Subway stations with no free crossovers

This is an unofficial list of subway stations around the city, which doesn't allow any free transfer to trains going the other direction (in other words, not being able crossover to the opposite-bound platform, without having to exit the turnstyle, and then using your MetroCard to the other side). I had weeks to work on this, but thankfully, I didn't have to do too much work on this list, so let me please credit fellow user Jon L. (aka lilbluefoxie), and his subway map (version 2.0), which indicates which stations have no such free crossovers. I think this is especially something an NYC Subway beginner should know first thing, when he/she gets lost, and needs to know how to get back. It's a very shame (MTA) doesn't list them on their current maps, or put them up on their website, at least.

With that said then, here are this list of stations with no free crossovers, as well as transfer connections, if any; any corrections needed, or such, feel free to correct me:

(1)Broadway/7th Avenue Local

• 238th Street (Bronx)
  • 231st Street
  • Marble Hill-225th St / MTA Metro North Railroad (Hudson Line)
  • 215th Street (Manhattan)
  • 207th Street
  • 157th Street
  • 145th Street
  • 137th St/City College
  • Cathedral Pkwy (110th St)
  • 86th Street / Transfer to the 2 (late nights).
  • 79th Street
  • 50th Street
  • 28th Street
  • 23rd Street
  • 18th Street
  • Christopher St-Sheridan Sq
  • Houston Street
  • Canal Street
  • Franklin Street
  • Rector Street

(2)7th Avenue Express

• 174th Street (Bronx) / Transfer to the 5.
  • Freeman Street
  • Simpson Street
  • Prospect Avenue
  • Jackson Avenue
  • 3rd Avenue-149th Street
  • 135th Street (Manhattan) / Transfer to the 3.
  • 125th Street
  • 116th Street
  • 86th Street (late night hours only)
  • 79th Street (late night hours only)
  • 50th Street (late night hours only)
  • 28th Street (late night hours only)
  • 23rd Street (late night hours only)
  • 18th Street (late night hours only)
  • Christopher St-Herald Sq (late night hours only)
  • Houston Street (late night hours only)
  • Canal Street (late night hours only)
  • Franklin Street (late night hours only)
  • Hoyt Street (Brooklyn) / Transfer to the 3.
  • Bergen Street
  • Winthrop Street / Transfer (on weekdays) to the 5.
  • Church Avenue
  • Beverly Road
  • Newkirk Avenue

(3)7th Avenue Express

• 145th Street (Manhattan)
  • 135th Street / Transfer to the 2.
  • 125th Street
  • 116th Street
  • Hoyt Street (Brooklyn) / Transfer to the 2.
  • Bergen Street

(4)Lexington Avenue Express

• 116th Street (Manhattan) (Late night hours only) / Transfer to the 6.
  • 110th Street (Late night hours only)
  • 86th Street / Transfer to the 6.
  • 77th Street (Late night hours only)
  • 33rd Street (Late night hours only)
  • 28th Street (Late night hours only)
  • 23rd Street (Late night hours only)
  • Astor Place (Late night hours only)
  • Bleecker Street (Late night hours only) / Transfer to the 6; free transfer from Downtown & Brooklyn-bound D and F trains only.
  • Spring Street

(5)Lexington Avenue Express

• 174th Street (Bronx) / Transfer to the 2.
  • Freeman Street
  • Simpson Street
  • Prospect Avenue
  • Jackson Avenue
  • 3rd Avenue-149th Street
  • 86th Street (Manhattan) / Transfer to the 4.
  • Winthrop Street (Brooklyn) / Transfer to the 2.
  • Church Avenue
  • Beverly Road
  • Newkirk Avenue

(6)Lexington Avenue Local / <6>Pelham Bay Park Express

• Longwood Avenue (Bronx)
  • East 149th Street
  • East 143rd Street
  • Cypress Avenue
  • Brook Avenue
  • 116th Street (Manhattan) / Transfer to the 4 (late nights).
  • 110th Street
  • 86th Street / Transfer to the 4 (late nights).
  • 77th Street
  • 33rd Street
  • 28th Street
  • 23rd Street
  • Astor Place
  • Bleecker Street / Transfer to the 4 (late nights); free transfer from Downtown & Brooklyn-bound D and F trains only.
  • Spring Street

(7)Flushing Local / <7>Flushing Express

• 40th Street-Lowery Street (Queens)
  • Vernon Blvd-Jackson Avenue

(A)8th Avenue Express

• 135th Street (Manhattan) (late nights only, in place of B and C service)
  • 116th Street
  • 50th Street / Transfer to the E.
  • Clinton-Washington Avenues (Brooklyn) (late nights only, in place of C service)
  • Nostrand Avenue / MTA Long Island Rail Road (Atlantic Branch) / Transfer to the C.
  • Kingston-Throop Avenues (Late night hours only) / Transfer to the C.

(:(6th Avenue Express (weekdays)

• 135th Street (Manhattan) / Transfer to the C or (on late nights, when C is not running) the A.
  • 116th Street / Transfer to the C or (on late nights, when C is not running) the A.

(C)8th Avenue Local (no late night service)

• 135th Street (Manhattan) / Transfer (on weekdays) to the B.
  • 116th Street
  • 50th Street / Transfer to the E.
  • Clinton-Washington Avenues (Brooklyn)
  • Nostrand Avenue / MTA Long Island Rail Road (Atlantic Branch)
  • Kingston-Throop Avenues

(D)6th Avenue Express

• Union Street (Brooklyn) (late nights only, in place of R service)
  • Prospect Avenue (late nights only, in place of R service)
  • 25th Street (late nights only, in place of R service)

(E)8th Avenue Local

• Briarwood Van-Wyck Blvd (Queens) (all times, except weekdays) / Transfer to the F.
  • 75th Avenue (all times, except weekdays)
  • 46th Street (late nights only, in place of M and R service)
  • 36th Street (late nights only, in place of M and R service)
  • 50th Street (Manhattan) / Transfer to the C or (on late nights, when C is not running) the A.

(F)6th Avenue Local

• Briarwood Van-Wyck Blvd (Queens) / Transfer (on all times, except weekdays) to the E.
  • 75th Avenue / Transfer (on all times, except weekdays) to the E.
  • 23rd Street (Manhattan) / Transfer (on weekdays) to the M.
  • Bergen Street (Brooklyn) / Transfer to the G.

(G)Brooklyn-Queens Crosstown Local

• Bergen Street (Brooklyn) / Transfer to the F.

(J)Nassau Street Local / (Z)Nassau Street Express

• Marcy Avenue (Brooklyn) / Transfer (on weekdays) to the M.

(L)14th Street/Canarsie Local

• 3rd Avenue (Manhattan)
  • 1st Avenue
  • Graham Avenue (Brooklyn)
  • Grand Street
  • Halsey Street

(M)6th Avenue Local

• Northern Blvd (Queens) (weekdays only) / Transfer to the R.
  • 46th Street (weekdays only)
  • 23rd Street (Manhattan) (weekdays only) / Transfer to the F.
  • Marcy Avenue (Brooklyn) (weekdays only) / Transfer to the J/Z.

(N)Broadway Local

• Broadway (Queens) / Transfer to the Q.
  • 49th Street (Manhattan) / Transfer to the Q and the R.
  • 28th Street
  • 23rd Street
  • 8th Street-New York University
  • Prince Street
  • Union Street (Brooklyn) (late nights only, in place of R service)
  • Prospect Avenue
  • 25th Street (late nights only, in place of R service)

(Q)Broadway Express

• Broadway (Queens) / Transfer to the N.
  • 49th Street (Manhattan) / Transfer to the N and the R.

(R)Broadway Local

• Northern Blvd (Queens) / Transfer to the M.
  • 46th Street
  • 49th Street (Manhattan) / Transfer to the N and the Q.
  • 28th Street
  • 23rd Street
  • 8th Street-New York University
  • Prince Street
  • Rector Street
  • Union Street (Brooklyn)
  • Prospect Avenue
  • 25th Street

Finally, all three (S) services each have free crossovers on all of their respective stations.

Are you sure 1st Avenue (L) doesn't have a crossover?

Not only did I check Jon's map, but also checked my bought Manhattan Subway & Buses map by Tauranac, which also indicates non-free crossovers, and that map also lists 1st Ave/14th St (L) as one of them. So in short, the answer is yes.

Add Broadway on the Astoria line to the list
Although I have taken the (N)/(Q) to Astoria Blvd on occasion, I've never took a closer look at Broadway, and Jon's map doesn't indicate the station as a non-free transfer. Can anyone confirm if this statement is true or not?

Broadway on the Astoria Line do have a crossover!

Oh really? Last time I was there the stairs on both sides led to turnstiles opposite of each other.

"Two side platforms, three tracks. The features resemble 39th Ave. with the exception of the fare control arrangement in the mezzanine-- there is no free crossunder; instead there are twin fare control barriers on each side." - nycsubway.org

Oh really? Last time I was there the stairs on both sides led to turnstiles opposite of each other.

"Two side platforms, three tracks. The features resemble 39th Ave. with the exception of the fare control arrangement in the mezzanine-- there is no free crossunder; instead there are twin fare control barriers on each side." - nycsubway.org

Weird b/c I filmed @ that station last year and I don't remember going to 30th Avenue and hopped on a Manhattan bound train!

* (4) Bleecker Street (Late night hours only) / Transfer to the 6.

Shouldn't it be "Transfer to the 6; free transfer from downtown trains to the D and F.

Likewise, the (6)<6>

Bleecker Street (Late night hours only) / Transfer to the 5 (on weekdays), or the 4 (late nights); free transfer from Downtown & Brooklyn-bound D and F trains only.

Should be "Transfer to the 4 (late nights); free transfer from Downtown trains to the B, D, F, and M trains.

---

Oh and 3 Avenue - 138 Street (6) is bidirectional within fare control.

You forgot Hoyt St (2)(3).Also how is it possible to transfer to the (5) from the (6) at Bleecker st on weekdays? Are there any (5)'s that run local? I'm not aware of any.

I've corrected some of the transfer/non-transfer spots, and removed late night mentions of (5) in Manhattan, since it only runs in the Bronx during those times. As for Hoyt St. (2)(3), Jon's map doesn't list it as non-bidirectional transfer; can anyone confirm?:confused:

Then they must have reconfigured the station mezzanine that way because I remember reversing direction without having to go through turnstiles. This was in 1993.

Thanks for this useful thread. Good to know.

I suppose that through the years, they have changed what may have been free at one time, before things were reconfigured due to cutting costs, such as eliminating some change booths. The 75th Avenue F station in Queens looks like it may be one that used to have free crossovers, before the current fences were erected. Probably several others in this category.

I will say one thing for NYC....at least you can get on the next train in the same direction to a transfer station, if you mistakenly get off at one where you can't.

Several years ago I went on a fantrip on the Montreal system, and when we reached Longueuil, the outer terminal for the old 'Expo Express' line, we were forced to exit the fare control and re-enter on the other platform to go back.

Thanks for this useful thread. Good to know.

I suppose that through the years, they have changed what may have been free at one time, before things were reconfigured due to cutting costs, such as eliminating some change booths. The 75th Avenue F station in Queens looks like it may be one that used to have free crossovers, before the current fences were erected. Probably several others in this category.

I will say one thing for NYC....at least you can get on the next train in the same direction to a transfer station, if you mistakenly get off at one where you can't.

Several years ago I went on a fantrip on the Montreal system, and when we reached Longueuil, the outer terminal for the old 'Expo Express' line, we were forced to exit the fare control and re-enter on the other platform to go back.

Newark on PATH is like that too.

Nice. 3 things, 1 Why did they close the Crossunder at 28th Street on the (6)? 2 I think 1st Avenue has a few hints to a possible Crossover because does anyone notice that Big space/Waiting area on the (L) when leaving the Brooklyn platform. And 3 Bleecker street will have the crossunder in 1-2 years time.

I hope you know most of the information on http://www.nycsubway.org is extremely outdated. In fact, the BMT Fourth Avenue Line page has not been updated since 1998. That is why I do not use that site when I expand the New York City Subway station articles on Wikipedia. I use a site called http://www.subwaynut.com. Its webmaster provides much more information about the stations and a lot more photos as well. I am counting on him to have pages for all 468 stations so that none of the Wikipedia articles will be considered "stubs." Unlike other issues, Wikipedia is a fairly reliable source for individual subway stations thanks to the hard work of me and the other editors there.

If you go to the Wikipedia article about Broadway on the BMT Astoria Line and click on Google Maps link, you will see that none of the staircase signs says "To Manhattan only" or "To Astoria only." Therefore, that station must have a crossunder.

Nice. 3 things, 1 Why did they close the Crossunder at 28th Street on the (6)? 2 I think 1st Avenue has a few hints to a possible Crossover because does anyone notice that Big space/Waiting area on the (L) when leaving the Brooklyn platform. And 3 Bleecker street will have the crossunder in 1-2 years time.

Many crossunders that are not part of fare control were closed because they were useless and unsafe. Due to lack of cameras, it was so easy to get away with crime and honestly, no one needs to use them except for tourists who are too stupid to know the difference between uptown and downtown.

Most of the stations that do not have crossovers or crossunders are local, so it would not make a difference if construction requires all trains to bypass them in one direction (except for 137th Street-City College, which is why a crossunder is greatly beneficial there). Passengers would have to go to the next express station, which most likely will have crossover or crossunder, to get to where they want to go. Another station that could use a crossunder is 135th Street on the IRT Lenox Avenue Line so that people traveling between Harlem-148th Street and the Bronx would not have to go down to 110th Street to make the transfer.

I am waiting for the day the connection between Broadway-Lafayette Street and the northbound platform of Bleecker Street finally opens, hopefully by the end of the year. Until then, I will have to continue to take the (Q) to 14th Street-Union Square and transfer to the (6) to get to Hunter College even when the (B) starts running express in Brooklyn again in 4-5 months.

Extremely long list

Your post is still missing some stations. You put 36th Street on the IND Queens Boulevard Line for the (E), but not the (M) or (R). There are probably more stations that I cannot think of right now that are not on that list and have no crossovers/crossunders.

Still why did they close the 28 St Crossunder?

Like i said, it was an unnecessary safety hazard, not worth the cost to maintain it.

The (MTA) isn't planning on doing a crossover at 1st Av.

Archived