Why Is Math So Hard for Some?

East New York

I can side with you on that. Math gets harder and harder as you move along. It ends up being so complicated. If there was some way to make it easier. Someone should develop some sort of shortcut, because it isn't easy. For math Geometry is my favorite, I suck at Trigonometry, and I suck the most at Algebra.

It was the exact reverse for me: Algebra was my best, Trig was ok, Geometry [was more about definitions or stuff and less on math] was my worst of the 3.

We have something in common.

Same here I know basic math but the harder stuff it's a little difficult for me

I love Astronmy to, I like to look at the stars a night, problem is to much light pollution in this city. I remember when I use to go to the Dominican republic I would always go to my moms hometown, they were power outages every night that you would see hundreds of stars in the sky,so beautiful :cool:

I was an A student in math up until high school. I had this lousy teacher in Brooklyn Tech who gave me a 75 However, I did well on the Regents. I scored a 79 on Sequential Math 1, 94 on Sequential Math 2, and 94 on Sequential Math 3 (I think they're called Math A and B now). On the SAT I scored a 700 on the math section. In college, I was inconsistent in math. The first time I took Calculus II I got a D+ (I'm not ashamed to admit it). The second time I took it I got an A. I had to take Differential Equations three times to pass it. The first time I dropped it. The second time I got a F. The third time I got a B. Math isn't hard. It depends on who is teaching it.

Trig isn't that bad. It's simply sine (opposite/hypotenuse), cosine (adjacent/hypotenuse), and tangent (opposite/adjacent). Calculus is when math becomes torture.

If you're that smart then you should go to college.

But you also have to know cotangent, cosecant, and secant, and it is hard to remember the difference between secant and cosecant (I'm pretty sure coscant is the reciprocal of sine)

It was the exact reverse for me: Algebra was my best, Trig was ok, Geometry [was more about definitions or stuff and less on math] was my worst of the 3.

You should be my tutor then! LOL!

Algebra and all that x/y shit was the worst for me, same goes for trig.

That x/y shyt makes you want to go crasii on someone lol. The basic stuff i get. Some jobs you will never see that kind of math but other jobs you better know that crap .

Math is easy......

Well at least for me! I'm in my second year of Algebra I in my freshman year of High School, and I'm preparing to take the Integrated Algebra regents in a few weeks. Algebra is an easy subject for me, as well as the basics of Trig and Geometry and formulas. Next year, I'll be taking Geometry, then Trig, then Calculus A in my Senior year.

Really? Astronomy/Earth Science is one my top subjects. In fact Science alone is one of my best subjects. The other two is History, and English. I am bad at Math besides Geometry, and the basics which I have had explained.

Astronomy and earth science require the least math.

Try physics, chemistry, or biochemistry and you'll see what I mean about math being taught before concepts and why it doesn't work.

Since I want to be an Architect, and later on a Civil Engineer I would have to undergo crazy Math courses to get to my career goal.

Math is used to weed out engineers. In reality, the computer does all of the math but universities will never tell you that. The engineering program at City College is a joke. Over 70% of the people dropped out.

Good luck w/ that Roadcruiser...

I should've stuck w/ architecture (instead of taking up electronics & engineering [EET] in high school & college), maybe I would've long had a job/career in my field already.... CADD (computer aided design & drafting) was that deal... on top of that, man, give me a t-square, a 30 degree, 45 degree triangle, a compass, a .5mm, a .7mm pencil, and watch me go to work w/o having to touch an eraser... When classmates &/or my drafting teacher would put an eraser on my desk, I would take offense to it...

I don't regret not doing many things in life; matter fact, that's the only thing I ever regretted not doing in life.....

anyway, when I graduated college, that's when they started heavily outsourcing most computer related jobs, especially the hardware-based ones (which EET & what it entails, falls under... yeh there's some software/ programming involved, but it's not the main focus; that's more the IT (information technology) field.... which I found boring b/c I didn't strive to want to spend a career where I would be stuck sitting for countless hours, coding).....

---------

Far as the thread goes:

Math (and shop) was THE subject for me... I never got below a 90 in any marking period in any year of high school in any math class (this includes AP calculus)... history was not my thing (although, I still got in the low 80's)... I need something where I can work towards, SEE, and derive by/from an end result....

earth science & biology I found, boring... chem, I just had a bad teacher (coursework still interested me though), and physics I just took off with (in high school & college)...

Math & Science FTW !!!

Math is used to weed out engineers. In reality, the computer does all of the math but universities will never tell you that. The engineering program at City College is a joke. Over 70% of the people dropped out.

Agreed with the entire post....

And about CCNY... I'll go in on that a tad bit further....

I don't know if Neville Parker (yes, I'm dropping names) still heads up the Engineering program there, but I always found him to be an a**hole.... You had people that made things unnecessairily difficult for no reason at all; he was one of those people.... He talked all that talk about achieving success & what not, but there was always that undertone when he would make a particular statement - It's like he wanted you to fail....

I had 3 former classmates that graduated William Grady the same year I did, that ended up goin to CCNY back in 99/2000... all 3 of them jumped ship; 1 left the school, and 2 changed majors.... anyway, yo, I'm surprised that %-age isn't higher.... maybe he softened up, since I took that civil engineering internship back in summer 97 & 98...

Good luck w/ that Roadcruiser...

I should've stuck w/ architecture (instead of taking up electronics & engineering [EET] in high school & college), maybe I would've long had a job/career in my field already.... CADD (computer aided design & drafting) was that deal... on top of that, man, give me a t-square, a 30 degree, 45 degree triangle, a compass, a .5mm, a .7mm pencil, and watch me go to work w/o having to touch an eraser... When classmates &/or my drafting teacher would put an eraser on my desk, I would take offense to it...

I don't regret not doing many things in life; matter fact, that's the only thing I ever regretted not doing in life.....

anyway, when I graduated college, that's when they started heavily outsourcing most computer related jobs, especially the hardware-based ones (which EET & what it entails, falls under... yeh there's some software/ programming involved, but it's not the main focus; that's more the IT (information technology) field.... which I found boring b/c I didn't strive to want to spend a career where I would be stuck sitting for countless hours, coding).....

---------

Far as the thread goes:

Math (and shop) was THE subject for me... I never got below a 90 in any marking period in any year of high school in any math class (this includes AP calculus)... history was not my thing (although, I still got in the low 80's)... I need something where I can work towards, SEE, and derive by/from an end result....

earth science & biology I found, boring... chem, I just had a bad teacher (coursework still interested me though), and physics I just took off with (in high school & college)...

Math & Science FTW !!!

I'm similar in that I like subjects where everything is concrete. In math (and to a lesser extent in science), the formulas are fixed and will always lead you to the right answer. In literature, however, a lot of things are open to interpretation, which I just don't like.

Agreed with the entire post....

And about CCNY... I'll go in on that a tad bit further....

I don't know if Neville Parker (yes, I'm dropping names) still heads up the Engineering program there, but I always found him to be an a**hole.... You had people that made things unnecessairily difficult for no reason at all; he was one of those people.... He talked all that talk about achieving success & what not, but there was always that undertone when he would make a particular statement - It's like he wanted you to fail....

I had 3 former classmates that graduated William Grady the same year I did, that ended up goin to CCNY back in 99/2000... all 3 of them jumped ship; 1 left the school, and 2 changed majors.... anyway, yo, I'm surprised that %-age isn't higher.... maybe he softened up, since I took that civil engineering internship back in summer 97 & 98...

Thanks for the heads up. I want to be a civil engineer and one of the schools I am thinking of is CCNY.

If you take engineering at City College then you can look forward to a professor with a thick Russian or Indian accent who will give C's (or less) to half the class.

A good engineering school is Polytech/NYU. Columbia and MIT are out of reach unless you have a 99 average and a near-perfect SAT score.

Lol! I dunno, maybe cuz my teacher was really good or that it had more 'math' than the other two. It was just my best. But if you gave me stuff to solve, I probably wouldn't remember how to solve them now. All that stuff is like latin to me :(

Trig, damn, I hated that as well, the sine, cosine shit was just crazy.

If you take engineering at City College then you can look forward to a professor with a thick Russian or Indian accent who will give C's (or less) to half the class.

A good engineering school is Polytech/NYU. Columbia and MIT are out of reach unless you have a 99 average and a near-perfect SAT score.

Actually, that is actually possible for me. On my last report card, I got a 102 average and I didn't even try that hard (part of it was because teachers were more generous with extra credit).

The marking period before that, my average was a 99, and the teachers hardly gave out any extra credit that marking period.

I got a 1930 on my PSAT, so I guess if I study a little harder (I didn't study at all for that), I could probably boost my score to 2000 or 2100.

I used to like math up until my senior year in high school. In my mid-sophomore year (January 2007) I took the Math A regents and scored an 85. As I progressed the math got harder but I kept up with the work. Starting with my senior year I don't know what happened; I failed my first quarter but passed the others with between 75 and 85, but I took the Math B regents three times before I got a passing grade with a 66 and qualified for an Advanced Regents Diploma.

Wow I got an 86, in Jan/Feb 2008, I was shocked, it was the highest grade in the class but my average in that class was like a 70. The Class of 2010 was the last to get the Math A/B thing. I didn't take the Math B regents because Spanish 5/6 was uber-difficult and I didn't take the regents for that, I would've had the advanced regents diploma but at that point I didn't care lol. My highest average (100) was from a semester when I didn't have Math lmao.

I HATE Math with a passion, ever since the 6th Grade. It just sucks and is most of it is unnecessary.

Archived