Disabilities and working for Transit

Maraki

Has anyone with a Disability applied for transit? Did you go through the training and found things you cannot do? Did Transit force you to resign? If you have had this happen to you, please reply.

Maria

You won't make it past hiring with the test you do there at MAC. If you do and something happens down the road that you can't perform your job, and you are past probation, they move you to do other things. Some B/Os with diabetes, can't drive, and are putting up ads on the buses, and are helping cleaning buses. They have to go back to MAC to be cleared. If it is bad, and at the point where they can't drive at all, it gets into a gray area then. They will try their best to get you to retire early, the union suppose to fight to get you another positions. Problem is if the union succeeds, you will get a lower paying job, and will most likely receive a huge pay cut. Some ex-operators are TPPAs now........If on probation, start looking for work elsewhere. They will terminate you.........

For T/O's the pre-employment medical is pretty thorough , and you also get an annual medical which they try to give you around your birthday. I know if you become disabled with less than 10 years in title , they can send you to another position at the pay allowed for that position , and after 10 years in title they can transfer you to another title but must pay you what you got paid in the title they moved you out of if it paid more. If you are thinking of coming aboard and you want to know what they look for but are too shy to ask , I will tell you as best I can remember ... they will drug test you of course ... do hearing / eye testing ... you will fill out forms with your medical history ... they will do height and weight but they don't have height and weight standards ... you can be overweight and get hired but you need to be able to physically climb on and off the front of the train ... they will have you in private one on one with a doctor do basic exercises like bending over , stretching , balancing yourself on one leg , etc ... they don't take blood work from you ... thye will ask if you have diabetes ... Hope this helped you out a bit .... - Mike

For T/O's the pre-employment medical is pretty thorough , and you also get an annual medical which they try to give you around your birthday. I know if you become disabled with less than 10 years in title , they can send you to another position at the pay allowed for that position , and after 10 years in title they can transfer you to another title but must pay you what you got paid in the title they moved you out of if it paid more. If you are thinking of coming aboard and you want to know what they look for but are too shy to ask , I will tell you as best I can remember ... they will drug test you of course ... do hearing / eye testing ... you will fill out forms with your medical history ... they will do height and weight but they don't have height and weight standards ... you can be overweight and get hired but you need to be able to physically climb on and off the front of the train ... they will have you in private one on one with a doctor do basic exercises like bending over , stretching , balancing yourself on one leg , etc ... they don't take blood work from you ... thye will ask if you have diabetes ... Hope this helped you out a bit .... - Mike

The MAC is the same here, but as you possibly seen from quite a few B/Os, being 1 cheese curl away from having their skin rupture and exploding like that warrior from Big Trouble in Little China after his master was killed, doesn't matter here. I hate relieving drivers like that..........The Flamingo stance we don't do though.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a3R0YuUjQg

• 4 weeks later...
Hi, does having diabetes mean you won't pass the medical test for T/O?

Any safety sensitive position (B/O, T/O, C/R, etc....), they will try their best to not hire you if you have diabetes. If you have it under control, you will have to get confirmation from your doctor. If you have it, bring a letter/note from your doctor stating this, on the day you do your LAB. This way, you won't be put on "hold", or given the run around.......

Archived