Overnight subway service

Replies in red. Another 13 year old who thinks they an adult and knows everything lol. This is an overnight topic not new train ideas?

(A) Express in Manhattan, Local in Brooklyn Late Nights.

(:) Late Night Service from Coney Island to Franklin ave on the S Using Both Tracks. Why?

(C) Run to Rockaway beach during Rush Hours,and Middays.It used to run this pattern until 1992. It stopped since the local Fulton Local riders compalined of delayed trains.(E) Run To Lefferts Blvd Middays,Evenings,Weekends.-If the (E) is late QB riders wont be happy.

(F) Run Express from 179th St to 71st Ave Followed By Regular exp service plus Peak direction F From Church to Neptune ave then LCL and some exp F via Culver Exp tracks to bergen. Neptune does not have a middle tracks.

(G) Run From 179 St to Coney Island all times. Not happening unless the (F) switches back to 53rd and the (M) back to 63rd.

(J) Extended to Coney Island via Brighton. Why? This would make it a 2-hour plus ride.

(L) Get Rid Of It Because It Sucks But I have to take it to school so.

(M) Run To 2nd Ave As Old (V) Pattern.

(Mx) Return and go to Coney Island.

(N) Return Manhattan EXP And Peak exp in Queens + 24/7 EXP.

(Q) Some to Forest hills.

(S) Franklin Ave No Late Night Service, 42nd Street Run a Special Shuttle to Brooklyn bridge utilizing track 1 and have the 6 run Exp which is impossible.

(Z) Run all times except Evenings,and weekends + special Z to Canarsie on the L.

(1) Skip Stop.

(2) Run exp in manhattan and Bronx.

(3) Run Some late night trains to south ferry and the others to the Atlantic Ave Exp platforms.

(4) Runs Super Express from woodlawn to utica, and some late night trains short turn at South Ferry Loop.

(5) Run to 42nd Street EXP Late nights.

<6> 5 Trains every hour super express to or from Utica,New Lots,Flatbush or bowling green.

(9) Return.

Are you on something redbirds? Or this a fansaty . This was about overnight service not new routes.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Replies in red. Another 13 year old who thinks they an adult and knows everything lol. This is an overnight topic not new train ideas?

Are you on something redbirds? Or this a fansaty . This was about overnight service not new routes.

OMG Im sorry I looked at it wrong let me fix a few.

I know you may disagree with me. Express service on all lines (except the busy Queens Blvd (E)(F) and Lex (4))would not start until 8am Sundays.

Thus the (A)(2) and (N) would still run as locals (5) as shuttle and the (3) 'semi-shuttle' only in Manhattan until 8am. Only the (R) would start at 6am on Sundays.

However all of the trains running on Sundays between 6am-8am would have 15-minute headways.

Yeah, I'm not so sure about that. I think I'd start it at 07:00 in the morning, but 08:00 could work if they try to time the trains so that folks can make connections. Last Saturday night, I was not up for spending $45 for a cab from the city to Staten Island, so I caught an (N) train at Union Square. This was about 03:10 in the morning and we had to make all local stops and then switch at 36th street for an (R) shuttle to Bay Ridge since the (N) was running on the (D) line. The switching wasn't too bad because the (R) came in about 5 minutes or so and I was able to get to 86th street in time to catch the 04:00 S53 back to Staten Island. Making all of those stops was still a killer but at least the conductor moved along quickly to try to lessen the anguish. It has been years since I've went that way and I certainly don't miss it. Perfect example of why overnight express bus service is needed 24/7. Took me almost 3 hours to get from Morgan Avenue in Brooklyn to Staten Island.

replies in red. Sorry if my comments sound harsh but some of these replies are created by a young teen who probably never been on a subway late at night before.:confused:

(A) Express in Manhattan, Local in Brooklyn Late Nights.

Then where does riders on Central Park use for local service between 59th and 145th.

(B) Late Night Service from Coney Island to Franklin ave on the S Using Both Tracks.

The Brighton line does not need '2' trains overnights.

(E) Run To Lefferts Blvd Middays,Evenings,Weekends.

This is an overnight thread.

(M) Run To 2nd Ave As Old (V) Pattern.

The M and V don't run on overnights except as Mytle Ave shuttle to connect to the (J)..

(Mx) Return and go to Coney Island.

Are you in a fanasty mode today?:eek:

(S) Franklin Ave No Late Night Service,

(2) Run exp in manhattan and Bronx Late night.

Hey maybe one of your best ideas.:tup:.

(3) Run Some late night trains to south ferry and the others to the Atlantic Ave Exp platforms. Why? Have your parents ever let you travel late at night?

South Ferry makes much more sense.

(4) Some late night trains short turn at South Ferry Loop.

You aware the '4' runs every 20 minutes late night right? Why should Brooklyn riders wait 40 minutes for a train?

(5) Run to 42nd Street EXP Late nights. That I agree. Or at least to 149th-GC?

Yeah, I'm not so sure about that. I think I'd start it at 07:00 in the morning, but 08:00 could work if they try to time the trains so that folks can make connections. Last Saturday night, I was not up for spending $45 for a cab from the city to Staten Island, so I caught an (N) train at Union Square. This was about 03:10 in the morning and we had to make all local stops and then switch at 36th street for an (R) shuttle to Bay Ridge since the (N) was running on the (D) line. The switching wasn't too bad because the (R) came in about 5 minutes or so and I was able to get to 86th street in time to catch the 04:00 S53 back to Staten Island. Making all of those stops was still a killer but at least the conductor moved along quickly to try to lessen the anguish. It has been years since I've went that way and I certainly don't miss it. Perfect example of why overnight express bus service is needed 24/7. Took me almost 3 hours to get from Morgan Avenue in Brooklyn to Staten Island.

As i stated before only the X1 Hylan and BXM7 COOP city lines should be 24/7. I am on the 'fence' about the X10 though.

OMG Im sorry I looked at it wrong let me fix a few.

Just overnights, bro. A lot of redundant service too. I like someone's idea of having overnight express bus service (on routes that serve areas not served by subway like SI), especially when those buses can move with little or no street traffic.

Yeah Here is the main problem-

How Can the (4) Run On the (3) tracks to New Lots ave?That Means that (3) Trains Have No where to go.

If (Z)(J)(M) Trains Are all jumblemed up (I have to wait at least 15 Min Just to get on a (Z) Train

They Should Do this instead-

Service Change

Starting May 30 2011

(Z) Trains Will Run All Time And Run Between Marcy Ave and Bay Pk.(Z) trains make Local Stops In Manhatten And Making exp Stops In Brooklyn.Also Between 1:00 Am And 2:00 Pm (M) Trains Run Between Metropolitan Ave And 14 St Union Sq.

Also Jamica Bound (J) Trains Run Express Between Marcy Ave And Norman Ave.

tell me what you think!

You're 100% correct. The busier line (E) should run express.

Why? The (F) is a much longer route. Plus I thought this newly formed Miami Heat Fan never took the subways late at night. About 2 years ago I took a Manhattan (E) Local making all stops along QB coming back from a flight at JFK and going to GCT. It added maybe an extra 7-9 minutes to the ride tops.

Forest Glen saying selffish things again.

(R) to Forest Hills at night, or at least swapping the (F) to be the local and (E) to be the express.

The (R) running 24/7 would be awesome. It would be great if the (E) went back to being an express in Queens 24/7 but I understand why it runs local but leave the (F) alone. There's should be some express service under Queens Blvd all the time there.

(R to Forest Hills at night, or at least swapping the (F to be the local and (E to be the express.

Hourly (H service 1:30AM-4AM.

There wouldn't really be an advantage to that, since there aren't many passengers traveling between Broad Channel and Euclid Avenue. The (H is coordinated to arrive at Broad Channel 2 minutes before a Manhattan-bound (A and leave 2 minutes after a Queens-bound (A.

Anyway from looking about it seems like the (4 could be made to run express at night on the Lexington Avenue Line. I wonder why they don't do that. It's just weird due to the fact that the Lexington Avenue Line is the only line operating on the East Side, and there isn't any fast service at night. There are a lot of night clubs in the East Village that might benefit a bit with the (4 running express.

But the East Village is only served by the local stops. It doesn't extend north to 14th Street or south to City Hall.

Maybe it's me - but if I lived on the Rockaways, say Rockaway Park - it would not be an advantage to REDUCE my train service to once an hour with the suggestion that such a service reduction is "better" since I get to wait in a cold subway station. How is waiting an hour for a subway train an advantage?

It's just another penalty for the folks who have to ride those trains at those times.

There is no advantage to waiting an hour for the ferry, so I can't believe that waiting that length of time in a subway station would really be pleasant. Leave well-enough alone.

Making the F-train a local train along Queens Blvd would make for an extremely long trip for the train operators and conductors. Leave the F-train alone, and the E-train as the midnight hour local route.

Why reduce service on the J-line in Manhattan? How does that help the riders? How does reducing service to the Rockaways help the riders? How does making the F-train all local help the riders?

The weird thing about having all midnight hour service operate on the same headways - once every 20 minutes - is that it enforces a kind of rough equality among the riders. Yes riders on the Eastside and Westside #1, #2, #4 and #6 lines have Manhattan local service every 10 minutes compared to riders on the A, D, E, F, J, L, N, Q and #7 - but at least that be explained that the non-business district branches have service at the usual every 20 mark. No neighborhood or route really gets much more service than other routes. No neighborhood "really has it better than others" in this scheme.

Increasing midnight hour service on some routes but not others will start arguments from folks who would champion for "their" route. What political person is not gonna want to champion for their residents - voters?

So yes, it seems counter-intuitive to argue for the same service frequency on all of the branch lines - as an aid to the riders - but the alternative could be worse. What neighborhood is ever going to say that they actually WANT less train service?

Just my thoughts.

Mike

Because of the way the (H) is structured, it doesn't make sense to run it in any other way than the current pattern. It takes roughly 10 minutes to go between Rockaway Park and Broad Channel, and the headways are 20 minutes. In addition, it is already coordinated with the A train.

My overnight plan would be to have this happen:

(3) - extend to 34th St - Penn Station

(5) - extend to either Grand Central as an express or 149th St - Grand Concourse to connect directly with the (4) instead of transfering to the (2)

(C) - extend the hours of operation to 1am and then turn the (A) into a local.

It might be a dream but I think waiting time should decrease and go from 20 mins to 15 mins.

my suggestions:

(3)- Extend to 34th street

(5)- Extend to grand central

(C)- Extend hours till 1:30 AM, then the (A) goes local.

(E)- Express ALL times

(R)- extend to forest hills, I dont know why but I really hate short lined trains! except the shuttles :P

this might sound like a dream, but the headways should be at least 15-17 minutes.

my suggestions:

(3)- Extend to 34th street

(5)- Extend to grand central

(C)- Extend hours till 1:30 AM, then the (A) goes local.

(E)- Express ALL times

(R)- extend to forest hills, I dont know why but I really hate short lined trains! except the shuttles :P

this might sound like a dream, but the headways should be at least 15-17 minutes.

If the (E) is express, what would be the local?

Also, I forget who said this, but there was a post saying that terminating the (3) at 34th Street would block trains in case of a GO. However, if there is a GO, the (3) can simply terminate at Times Square (or 135th Street) that night.

Im not sure why exactly the switch was done being that 63rd street is available from both express and local tracks, but I always thought both lines should be local at night. There is a different mentality to travel at night, one where people just want to make progress toward their destination and not want to wait too long for a train and it trumps trip time or speed of travel during these hours

If the (E) is express, what would be the local?

Also, I forget who said this, but there was a post saying that terminating the (3) at 34th Street would block trains in case of a GO. However, if there is a GO, the (3) can simply terminate at Times Square (or 135th Street) that night.

that why theres a suggestion of the (R) back to forest hills... T.T

so the (R) would be the local..

Check out the length of the (R) from Bay Ridge to Forest Hills- and in additon, the R is slow. The R is fine with the way it is configured late nights- as a shuttle between Bay Ridge-95 St and 59 Street. I doubt anybody takes the (R) for the whole length of the route. To make the (F) local for the whole route- it's not advisable- look at the length of the route from Jamaica-179 St to Coney Island- it is about 29 miles long- it is fine running express on the IND Queens Blvd Line. The (E) is fine running local late nights- it has a short route, (from World Trade Center to Jamaica-Archer) and is relatively fast, it is fine the way it is. Headways could be reduced however, I agree with it.

I do agree that the (C) should go to Lefferts Boulevard, but the issue I see with that is the residents in Richmond Hill would complain about having no direct express service, or express service reduced. In my opinion the only time I'd see (A) express service needed to Lefferts would be rush hours with 8-10 minute frequency and nothing else. At all other times it's not difficult to have a (C) train held at Euclid for a minute or two for an (A) train to pull into the station.

As for the Lefferts Boulevard Late Night Shuttle all this would do is have the late night shuttle be relabled to (C).

I understand with the setup at most times.

That said, I think Lefferts branch riders would appreciate having a (C) that would replace the overnight shuttle if it meant being able to switch to the (A) for express service anywhere between Rockaway Parkway and Euclid during overnight hours as opposed to the current setup of the shuttle to an (A) that is local in Brooklyn during overnights (or being able to simply ride the (C), even as a local to their destination without having to change trains like they currently have to).

Meanwhile, I would think overnight passengers and crew would appreciate having an (A) express, even if it's only the Far Rockaway branch that is express then because that still would mean there would be an express line in the overnights while the (C) would be a local.

Check out the length of the (R) from Bay Ridge to Forest Hills- and in additon, the R is slow. The R is fine with the way it is configured late nights- as a shuttle between Bay Ridge-95 St and 59 Street. I doubt anybody takes the (R) for the whole length of the route. To make the (F) local for the whole route- it's not advisable- look at the length of the route from Jamaica-179 St to Coney Island- it is about 29 miles long- it is fine running express on the IND Queens Blvd Line. The (E) is fine running local late nights- it has a short route, (from World Trade Center to Jamaica-Archer) and is relatively fast, it is fine the way it is. Headways could be reduced however, I agree with it.

Slow? I'd say the wait times leave something to be desired but as far as when you're actually on the train, the (R) runs that Queens Blvd stretch and 4th avenue better than the express most times. The only slow parts of the line are between Canal St and Dekalb.

Slow? I'd say the wait times leave something to be desired but as far as when you're actually on the train, the (R) runs that Queens Blvd stretch and 4th avenue better than the express most times. The only slow parts of the line are between Canal St and Dekalb.

That's the main reason why I would love to see the (R) be a complete 24/7 line. It's not slow when it gets there it's just the waiting for the (R) that makes it feel so bad. The same goes for the (C) train, in terms of waiting times vs. the ride itself.

Being fair, the (R) overnight shuttle should be extended to Atlantic/Pacific IMO. That way Bay Ridge riders could have 24/7 access to the (2) and (4) IRT lines as well.

Down the road when funding is available the (R) should run 24/7 the full route between Forest Hills and Bay Ridge via Manhattan. Thus the (N) could run 24/7 on the Manhattan Bridge.

Being fair, the (R) overnight shuttle should be extended to Atlantic/Pacific IMO. That way Bay Ridge riders could have 24/7 access to the (2) and (4) IRT lines as well.

Down the road when funding is available the (R) should run 24/7 the full route between Forest Hills and Bay Ridge via Manhattan. Thus the (N) could run 24/7 on the Manhattan Bridge.

I'm confused... Why wouldn't Bay Ridge riders have access to the (2) and (4) trains 24/7 at Atlantic/Pacific overnight??

Archived