Overnight subway service

Being fair, the (R) overnight shuttle should be extended to Atlantic/Pacific IMO. That way Bay Ridge riders could have 24/7 access to the (2) and (4) IRT lines as well.

I'd extend the (R) shuttle to the middle track at Whitehall for (1) and ferry connections.

Down the road when funding is available the (R) should run 24/7 the full route between Forest Hills and Bay Ridge via Manhattan. Thus the (N) could run 24/7 on the Manhattan Bridge.

That's more of an "if" rather than a "when."

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or better yet, terminate at Canal Street so it connects back with the (N), so that Rector St, Cortlandt St, and City Hall are still served.

Looking at the track map, it would only be able to go in and out of the northbound platform (thats the better side to be on anyway), but switches are available south of the station to go back southbound (as long as trains are not layed up on those express tracks).

Trains are layed up in City Hall yard at that time. Whitehall is the only efficient Manhattan choice and at least access to the (1) is available to go uptown if needed.

You dont see a problem with two (M) trains? ...... T.T

it's like bringing back the 70(AA) :l

If you're talking about just bringing the (M) into Manhattan overnight, they could also use Essex middle, and it would be like having two different routes.

That way, you would at least have the transfer to the (F), and also, an indoor transfer to the (J).

Maybe they should have the (M) run to Myrtle all except weekends and the (Mx) do the old pattern. I don't see the problem with having 2 (M)'s or the (J) run to Metropolotan ave Late Nights. Maybe the (J) could have Less waiting times to go to Jamaica Or Middle Village.

And you thought I wouldn't see this lol...

There are so many things wrong with this statement, so let's just start bit by bit...

1. What would be the point of having both (M) & (Mx) trains run from Myrtle to Metropolitan Avs?

2. If you send the (J) to Metrpoplitan late nights, what would serve all stations east of Myrtle Av?

3. The (J) is damn near every 20 minutes late at night. Even if you alternate branches (Metropolitan & Jamaica) someone is gonna get screwed out of subway service.

And you thought I wouldn't see this lol...

There are so many things wrong with this statement, so let's just start bit by bit...

1. What would be the point of having both (M) & (Mx) trains run from Myrtle to Metropolitan Avs?

2. If you send the (J) to Metrpoplitan late nights, what would serve all stations east of Myrtle Av?

3. The (J) is damn near every 20 minutes late at night. Even if you alternate branches (Metropolitan & Jamaica) someone is gonna get screwed out of subway service.

You'd need to double up service overnights in Manhattan on the (J) in order to split it between Metropolitan and Parsons-Jamaica Center in Brooklyn/Queens. Probably about a 50-60% increase in trains/crew since Metropolitan-Chambers is a much shorter run than Metropolitan-Parsons.

Anyway, I would be looking with the (M) in overnights (and weekends if not expanded to 19/7) to run it to either Essex (as suggested, and something I have myself in the past elsewhere), Broadway-Lafayette (provided they can do single tracking that does not disrupt the (J) or (F)) or West 4th, using the express tracks to terminate as was done prior to 1968 and there are tracks to cross over in the express tunnel, with the (D) stopping at 14th and 23rd during overnight hours. West 4th would be most preferable since then the (M) has a transfer to the (6) at Broadway-Lafayette (both directions eventually) and the (A)/(D)/(E)/(F) at all times and (C) outside overnights (on weekends) at West 4th. I don't think it would kill (D) riders if they had to deal with two extra stops on weekends and overnights so the (M) can terminate at West 4th during those times.

You'd need to double up service overnights in Manhattan on the (J) in order to split it between Metropolitan and Parsons-Jamaica Center in Brooklyn/Queens. Probably about a 50-60% increase in trains/crew since Metropolitan-Chambers is a much shorter run than Metropolitan-Parsons.

Anyway, I would be looking with the (M) in overnights (and weekends if not expanded to 19/7) to run it to either Essex (as suggested, and something I have myself in the past elsewhere), Broadway-Lafayette (provided they can do single tracking that does not disrupt the (J) or (F)) or West 4th, using the express tracks to terminate as was done prior to 1968 and there are tracks to cross over in the express tunnel, with the (D) stopping at 14th and 23rd during overnight hours. West 4th would be most preferable since then the (M) has a transfer to the (6) at Broadway-Lafayette (both directions eventually) and the (A)/(D)/(E)/(F) at all times and (C) outside overnights (on weekends) at West 4th. I don't think it would kill (D) riders if they had to deal with two extra stops on weekends and overnights so the (M) can terminate at West 4th during those times.

Bold: No but it might piss off (F) riders to have fewer trains servicing them because it suddenly has to share track with the (D). Which in turn also forces the (D) to run less frequently as well. So no we wouldn't get pissed off to have to make 2 more stops. We'd get pissed at having to wait longer for our trains while we stare at the (M) thats terminating on the express track for no real reason at that time of night.

That (J) service late night is not heavily ridden like the (D) and (F) where you'd actually want an (M) supplement. If you want to dispute that I'll simply tell you to take a ride on either one at 1am and take pictures. This also reminds me of someone a while back who said the (N) train didn't see heavy ridership late nights. If you're gonna swing the damned thing into Manhattan may as well swing it all the way back up into Queens along Queens Blvd. Then all the ones who say the (E) should run express late night can get it.

Guest lance25
The only thing I propose is the (G) to go to Forest Hills or 179 St during GO's. But we know that will never happen

I second that, especially when the (E)'s diverted via 63rd Street, but that's only a pipe dream.

To those talking about (5) to 42nd via Exp.

According to Wikipedia, there was a plan in the '50s to create a lower level at Grand Central connected to the Express tracks, likely for such a service to operate.

Just to kno.w

Bold: No but it might piss off (F) riders to have fewer trains servicing them because it suddenly has to share track with the (D). Which in turn also forces the (D) to run less frequently as well. So no we wouldn't get pissed off to have to make 2 more stops. We'd get pissed at having to wait longer for our trains while we stare at the (M) thats terminating on the express track for no real reason at that time of night.

That (J) service late night is not heavily ridden like the (D) and (F) where you'd actually want an (M) supplement. If you want to dispute that I'll simply tell you to take a ride on either one at 1am and take pictures. This also reminds me of someone a while back who said the (N) train didn't see heavy ridership late nights. If you're gonna swing the damned thing into Manhattan may as well swing it all the way back up into Queens along Queens Blvd. Then all the ones who say the (E) should run express late night can get it.

I agree with you when you say that there's no reason to terminate it in Manhattan -- if you're going that far, you might as well just keep it all the way to Queens.

However, keep in mind that we're talking about overnights, so there would be no problem with the (D) and (F) sharing track with their current headways during that time period. They do so fairly often during GOs as it is.

I agree with you when you say that there's no reason to terminate it in Manhattan -- if you're going that far, you might as well just keep it all the way to Queens.

However, keep in mind that we're talking about overnights, so there would be no problem with the (D) and (F) sharing track with their current headways during that time period. They do so fairly often during GOs as it is.

But there's no need for the (M) coming into manhattan late night. My statement was with the late night service considered. And to terminate it at west 4th when you can simply take the (F) 3 stops down from west 4th and get a (J) or even one stop up for the (L) for where most of those riders would go on the (M) isn't even worth it. Weekend service however I would not actually be against it swinging into Manhattan into Forest Hills simply out of consideration for the (R).

But there's no need for the (M) coming into manhattan late night. My statement was with the late night service considered. And to terminate it at west 4th when you can simply take the (F) 3 stops down from west 4th and get a (J) or even one stop up for the (L) for where most of those riders would go on the (M) isn't even worth it. Weekend service however I would not actually be against it swinging into Manhattan into Forest Hills simply out of consideration for the (R).

And if you're one of those riders who has to use the (M) shuttle to get to the (L) or (J) and then to the (F), I would think those riders would appreciate having the (M) extended into Manhattan weekends and overnights, even if it's only to West 4th.

We're not exactly talking about rush-hour level service here, though I know the (D) and (F) are heavily ridden on weekends (I've in fact been on more than a few (F) trains in my trips to New York that usually are on Saturdays that are rush-hour level crowded). At the same time, I would think those along the (J) and (M) lines would appreciate having the (M) going to West 4th for transfers to the Lexington Avenue Line (especially once the uptown transfer to the (6) is complete) and 6th Avenue lines at Broadway-Lafayette and 6th and 8th Avenue lines at West 4th).

There isn't any need for the (M) to run anywhere past it's current terminal during weekends and late nights, because I don't really see a need for it. The (J) isn't that heavily packed that we need the (M) at night. At best maybe the (M) should run it's full length to 1:30 AM, but that's about it.

Here's what i would do for late night changes:

(A) run express between 145 St and Canal St. The D and E can be the locals. (D local beteen 145 St and 59 St, E normal route between 50 St and Canal St.) Why? The A is much longer line than the D and E.

(C) is fine the way it is. it could use 24/7 service but thats not going to happen.

(D) runs local between 145 St and 59 St. Late Night service in Brookyln is fine. Weekend service should be Local via 4 Av as well, but thats not gonna happen

(E) is fine the way it is.

(F) is fine the way it is.

(G) should be extended back to Forest Hills, but thats not going to happen.

(J) is fine the way it is.

(L) is fine the way it is.

(M) should be extended to 57 St/6 Av at all times.

(N) should be express and terminating at 57 St/7 Av nights and weekends. (Let the Q be the full-time local between Canal St and Astoria, with late night service via Whitehall St.)

Why?: The N runs express in Bklyn and the Q runs local in Bklyn. Once it crosses the bridge, they switch places in Manhattan where the N runs local and the Q runs express. For that just leave the Q local and let the N run express 24/7 in Manhattan, and Brooklyn, except late nights where the N would run local between 59 St-4 Av and DeKalb Av. dont forget, the N has more stops in Brooklyn than the Q does, especially late nights when it replaces the R.

(Q) runs local between Canal St and Astoria via Bridge, (Late Nights via Whitehall St) and extended to Astoria 24/7.

(R) runs 24/7 between 71 Av and 95 St.

(S) is fine the way it is.

(1) is fine the way it is.

(2) should be express 24/7 via 7 Av. (3 run Local with the 1 to South Ferry.)

Why? The 2 has a longer route than the 3 does.

(3) runs local between 96 St and Chambers St, then on the (1) line to South Ferry.

(4) is express 24/7 between 125 St and Brooklyn Bridge. (5 be extended to Bowling Green late nights and run Local.)

Why? The 4 has a longer route during the late nights, and it replaces the 3 between Utica Av and New Lots Av.

(5) is extended to Bowling Green and runs local between 125 St and Brooklyn Bridge late nights.

(6) is fine the way it is.

(7) is fine the way it is.

Anyway since people keep ranting about the (M) the other idea is to run the (M) full length during rush hours in the weekends. It might be a bit justifiable.

How would that help anyone if it's only at rush hours during weekends?

Actually, Saturday does have an AM rush, but it's very subdued, and service is never changed for it, except for some headways being shortened a bit.

They were going to start weekend (6M) service before the cutbacks, so weekend (M) all the way to Continental (which would be useful) would work, whenever they get out of cutback mode.

Archived