Overnight subway service

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
(D) trains start operating local in Brooklyn at 10:00 on weekdays. On weekends, the local service starts later.

Which is fine, its only to 36st and adds 2 mins to the trip. At that time the (N) continues express on 4th av for one or two more intervals (to 36th only, there are (R) layups between 36 and 59 at the time) before going local itself.

Not to netpick but barring a "GO" the (D) is always 'express' along both Central Park West and 6th Ave. You mean the (C) ending at 11pm right?

The (C) as i stated earlier should run at least until 1230am for people coming 'home' from the 2nd shift and also for events at MSG i.e Knick/Ranger games and concerts.

Lol it's fine. I should have clarified that I meant in Brooklyn for the (D).

Not to netpick but barring a "GO" the (D) is always 'express' along both Central Park West and 6th Ave. You mean the (C) ending at 11pm right?

The (C) as i stated earlier should run at least until 1230am for people coming 'home' from the 2nd shift and also for events at MSG i.e Knick/Ranger games and concerts.

I agree on the (C) as well, since that also would allow the (A) to remain express in Manhattan and Brooklyn (and as noted, I would actually have the (C) 24/7, during overnights replacing the (A) to Lefferts since that would in turn eliminate the need for the overnight (S) on the Lefferts branch).

Guest lance25

I'm curious, is there a real demand for express service along Eighth Avenue or Fulton Street in the middle of the night to warrant 24/7 (C) line service?

I'm curious, is there a real demand for express service along Eighth Avenue or Fulton Street in the middle of the night to warrant 24/7 (C) line service?

If it wasn't, then the (MTA) wouldn't have proposed it before the crisis hit.

Guest lance25
If it wasn't, then the (MTA) wouldn't have proposed it before the crisis hit.

I wasn't aware it was ever proposed. I remember them talking about running the full (R) route all times, but I didn't see anything on the (C) (not that it couldn't have been mentioned).

I wasn't aware it was ever proposed. I remember them talking about running the full (R) route all times, but I didn't see anything on the (C) (not that it couldn't have been mentioned).

The (R) running the full route between Forest Hills and Bay Ridge was actually proposed and about to be approved when the fiscal crisis hit in early 2008.

The Other subway proposal of expanded service included running the (M) to/from Chambers St 7 days a week including weekends as well.

Never offically any expansion of late evening (C) service though.

i would like to see late night

(2) between 241st Street and 180th Street

(5) to Flatbush

(4) to utica

(S) between new lots and utica

(6) local in manhattan to bowling green

(4) local in manhattan

(3) to south ferry

(1) to south ferry

(Q) to forest hills

(N) to bay ridge

(Q) providing through service to 36th street on the (N)(R) lines late night.

(5) to Flatbush

(4) to utica

(4) local in manhattan

(3) to south ferry

(1) to south ferry

(Q) to forest hills

(N) to bay ridge

U just screwed up everything.

Why would the (Q) be diverted to the 4 Ave line to replace both the (N)(R)? Also, what will run via the Brighton Line if the (Q) ends up being diverted to the 4 Ave line?

Why would there be a (S) running between Utica Av and New Lots? The (4) already does that at night. It makes nno sense to terminate the (4) at Utica, in which passengers need to make an additional transfer just to reach new lots ave? That doesn't make any sense at all. Its either the (3) during the day, or the (4) at night.

Everything else I somewhat agree with, but why the (Q) to Forest Hills? The (E)(F) are fine at night.

U just screwed up everything.

Why would the (Q) be diverted to the 4 Ave line to replaace both the (N)(R)? Also, what will run via the Brighton Line if the (Q) ends up being diverted to the 4 Ave line?

Why would there be a. (S) running between Utica Av and New Lots? The (4) already does that at night. It makes nno sense to terminate the (4) at Utica, where passengers need to make an additional transfer just to reach new lots ave? That doesn't make any sense at all. Its either the (3) during the day, or the (4) at night.

Everything else I somewhat agree with, but why the (Q) to Forest Hills? The (E)(F) are fine at night.

when you put it that way i see what you mean. but i didnt say the (Q) bing rerouted to 4th avenue. just make the (Q) go down brighton terminate at 36th street and go back out the sea beach to brighton. and the (N) go up and down 4th avenue. and the (Q) to forest hills to replace the (R) but i think your right about the (E) and (F) being alright.

(5) to Flatbush

(4) to utica

(4) local in manhattan

(3) to south ferry

(1) to south ferry

(Q) to forest hills

(N) to bay ridge

I don't see any IRT 7th Ave service between Chambers St and Nevins St. Why?

when you put it that way i see what you mean. but i didnt say the (Q) bing rerouted to 4th avenue. just make the (Q) go down brighton terminate at 36th street and go back out the sea beach to brighton. and the (N) go up and down 4th avenue. and the (Q) to forest hills to replace the (R) but i think your right about the (E) and (F) being alright.

No papa. The (Q) would be a super long line if u extended it from Coney Island to 36 St via Sea Beach/West End/Brighton. The (N) takes over when the (R) doesn't run. It'll cause too much confusion. The (Q) has its own stops to make between DeKalb Av and Coney Island. The (D)(N) has its own stops to make at night between DeKalb Av and Coney island. It'll take forever for the (Q) to go via Brighton to Coney Island, then extended to the Sea Beach (or West End in that matter) to 36 St.

The (R) shuttle is fine at night.

I don't see any IRT 7th Ave service between Chambers St and Nevins St. Why?

:eek: O_o oh i did not realize that change i though of would severe the IRT 7th between Borough Hall and chambers. i mean the (5) can switch onto the local tracks after borough hall right and continue on to Flatbush? oh then my idea would just screw up the late night service in ways unimaginable. sorry ;):o

(5) to Flatbush

(4) to utica

(4) local in manhattan

(3) to south ferry

(1) to south ferry

(Q) to forest hills

(N) to bay ridge

Umm dude?? No Sea Beach service??? What about the Brighton line??? I think it would be too much trouble for commuters.

nvm

U need to have at least 1 7 Av line and 1 Lex Av line in Brooklyn. That's why the (2)(4) operate in Brooklyn at Night. It doesn't make no sense to have 2 Lexington Av lines at night and no 7 Av service... Unless there's a G.O. Going on.]

(5) to Flatbush

As noted elsewhere, this won't work because you need one 7th Avenue and one Lexington Avenue line operating at all times.

(4) to utica

For this to work, you'd need to make the (3) a full-time route to New Lots. Otherwise, I keep it as it is.

That would anger a lot of people who need to get to Utica just to get the (4). Would never work.

This I can see being done, especially if you keep the (5) as is during overnights.

(4) local in manhattan

As long as you don't have the (5) also running in Manhattan, I agree.

(3) to south ferry

(1) to south ferry

I keep the (1) to South Ferry and extend the (3) to either Penn Station or 14th Street, unless the (3) were to become a 24/7 line to New Lots.

(Q) to forest hills

(N) to bay ridge

I get why you want to do this (have the (Q) run as a through train on a loop in both directions through Brighton and Sea Beach with the option of a one-seat ride on either portion straight through, with 71st-Continental being the sole terminal while the (N) replaces the (R) along 4th Avenue in Brooklyn during overnights, running the old (RR) route), but it might be confusing to a lot of people, especially those used to having the (R) in Bay Ridge and along Queens Plaza (where the (E) replaces the (R) in overnights).

Hey all. I take the subway between the hours of midnight and 6am about 3-5 times a week, I honestly don't think much express service should be added. I mean, it might sound cool on paper, but I don't think it'd be a good idea overall. Think about it. Most bars, lounges, clubs, and late night entertainment venues are not located around express stops. Local stations (especially those in Hell's Kitchen, Murray Hill, Chelsea, and the Village) are often filled with not-so-sober passengers wanting a one-seat ride back to their apartments.

I understand the argument of extending, say, (3) train service as a local to South Ferry and keeping the (2) as an express. The problem with that lies with the people who are trying to get home to Brooklyn. Imagine waiting at Houston Street at 3:43am for any local train to come in 90˚F, then waiting up to 20 minutes at Chambers Street for the (2) to arrive. ...Now imagine doing that drunk.

My proposal:

• Have the (Q) run as a local between 57th and Canal (via the Bridge). 49th, 23rd, and 8th St stations always have their fair share of angry riders at night when they see their (Q) fly by.

Other thoughts:

• I'm cool with the (R) running 24/7 so long as the (E) remains a local at night. The (E) is one of the busiest lines in the system because of the many late night neighborhoods through which it travels.

• Running the (A) as an express sounds like a good idea, so long as the (C) runs its entire route at night. Otherwise, all hell would break loose.

Archived