MCI D4500 Discussion

East New York

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe TA is trying to stock up on cummins powered buses so they get some kind of discount when they order parts....just maybe

Since the new trend for the TA is Cummins, its a lot cheaper to keep the components of one engine type as opposed to multiple engines (notice we went all DD50/G for a while up until recently).

Rumor has it the new 4500's will have the Cummins ISX. :drool:

I heard a recording of the ISX on youtube, that thing sounds sweet. Cummins has its own jake brake package, but I highly doubt the MTA will have a jake brake on these CTs.

I know if and when NJT gets more CTs they will pack either ISL or ISX. C13 owns tho! Sucks caterpiller is gone from highway coaches.

Of course not......they scared to try something new. I would be hawt to see the BM or X lines with the white LED's but we know it will be Luminator Horizons!

The simple fact MTA MCI based routes do too much city driving for a jake but it wouldnt hurt to have them for the Staten Island routes via NJ.

The white led's are sweet! luminators aint that bad tho. Better then those shitty green boys.

The simple fact MTA MCI based routes do too much city driving for a jake but it wouldnt hurt to have them for the Staten Island routes via NJ.

The white led's are sweet! luminators aint that bad tho. Better then those shitty green boys.

True that....I can see the X17J, X22 and I think the X31 that runs through New Jersey having the Jake Brakes. As much I love the Luminator Horizons (which helps me makes bus signs for my sigs) they are way better than the green ones!

Maybe TA is trying to stock up on cummins powered buses so they get some kind of discount when they order parts....just maybe

Since the new trend for the TA is Cummins, its a lot cheaper to keep the components of one engine type as opposed to multiple engines (notice we went all DD50/G for a while up until recently).

Cummins engines are the only one's available.

As you all know Detroit Diesel is a division of Daimler. When Daimler sole sourced their hybrid power trains to Cummins for the ISB, and BAE for the HybriDrive, they pulled the DD50, and DD60 from the transit market.

Then CAT pulled their engines from the transit market about a year or so ago.

So, everybody has Cummins now. DD hasn't offered an engine since 2006.

I love the Cummings ISL engines on the LFS-A,but whats so special about the Cummings ISX?

I heard a recording of the ISX on youtube, that thing sounds sweet. Cummins has its own jake brake package, but I highly doubt the MTA will have a jake brake on these CTs.

I know if and when NJT gets more CTs they will pack either ISL or ISX. C13 owns tho! Sucks caterpiller is gone from highway coaches.

The ISX is a Beast!

And yeah the TA doesn't really need the Jake unless say all 60 do stay on SI. But even then, I don't think it's needed.

Of course not......they scared to try something new. I would be hawt to see the BM or X lines with the white LED's but we know it will be Luminator Horizons!

The white LED's on the demo are Luminator Spectrum:cool:

Same as the blue on the XD40 Demo. (not 0058)

One of the old MCIs that was loaned to LIB for LIRR service was used as a temporary shelter when a VS apartment complex burned up back in March... but News 12 never got the bus number or at least never showed it.

Will they be rolling in on those five-spoke cast iron rims or the newer ones?

If by "jake brake" you mean retarder, i don't see why they wouldn't have them. All buses owned by the MTA have retarders. they are just not ridiculously loud like on larger trucks...

I'm still mad that CAT pulled out of the transit market, their C13s were the shit! It would've been awesome if they stuck around. Aside from the C13/B500R setup, my other favorite powertrain setup of all time (besides the S50/VR731) is the C9/B500R, that powertrain is off the hook!

As for the Jake Brakes, MTA would just stick with the retarder. Jake Brakes are meant for buses that go long distances.

As for the Jake Brakes, MTA would just stick with the retarder. Jake Brakes are meant for buses that go long distances.

If by "jake brake" you mean retarder, i don't see why they wouldn't have them. All buses owned by the MTA have retarders. they are just not ridiculously loud like on larger trucks...

Now thats something I didnt know. When I drove 7109 ex mta ct that i didnt hear a thing compared to njts 9000 & 7100 series.

Now thats something I didnt know. When I drove 7109 ex mta ct that i didnt hear a thing compared to njts 9000 & 7100 series.

Yeee, you'd hear the retarder on the older DL3s and some of the 27-2800s. You wont hear a thing out of those CTs.

Egg Harbor now has the MTA rejects? I'm surprised that NJT has not retrofitted those buses with jake brakes (or removed the MTA-spec seats).

Egg Harbor now has the MTA rejects? I'm surprised that NJT has not retrofitted those buses with jake brakes (or removed the MTA-spec seats).

Only a couple of them because Meadowlands took 7178-79. Those CTs are still MTA specs and still have the MTA interior look.

They drive like crap on the highway but on the local travels those things can move.

Cummins engines are the only one's available.

As you all know Detroit Diesel is a division of Daimler. When Daimler sole sourced their hybrid power trains to Cummins for the ISB, and BAE for the HybriDrive, they pulled the DD50, and DD60 from the transit market.

Then CAT pulled their engines from the transit market about a year or so ago.

So, everybody has Cummins now. DD hasn't offered an engine since 2006.

Not true. Detroit Diesel reversed their decision. The DD13 is available on MCI and Van Hool coaches. GO Transit just recently took delivery of MCI D4500 coaches with Detroit engines.

Not true. Detroit Diesel reversed their decision. The DD13 is available on MCI and Van Hool coaches. GO Transit just recently took delivery of MCI D4500 coaches with Detroit engines.

It would be awesome if the MTA's Prevost came with a Detroit rather than that Volvo engine the newer Prevosts use.

Only a couple of them because Meadowlands took 7178-79. Those CTs are still MTA specs and still have the MTA interior look.

They drive like crap on the highway but on the local travels those things can move.

I heard (NJT) capped them at 65mph....hell of a lot faster than the MTA would have had them.

Ok, let me rephrase. They haven't offered any engines for transit use since '06, now they have recently eased back into the market with OTR, which I forgot about. Still not available for standard transit coaches...... Yet.

So what I said is quite accurate except for the omission of the new offering. DD50/60 were still pulled from the market, and subsequently discontinued.

Speaking of 7178

• 2 weeks later...

Archived