MCI D4500 Discussion

East New York

Those new Prevosts look cheap and the seats... The average express bus rider (not just me) hates them. They'll take an old beat up MCI over those. Sad but true.

So clearly an opinion that has no relation to the quality or performance of the vehicle, which is what MTA is concerned about at the end of the day. Come on, try for something better at least...

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those new Prevosts look cheap and the seats... The average express bus rider (not just me) hates them. They'll take an old beat up MCI over those. Sad but true.

Cheap???? You do realize that Prevost is a luxury coach and MTA is the only TA anywhere with X3-45's?

FYI, MTA specifies what they want on the bus, and the new MCI's and RTS' are expected to have the exact same seats. I know for a fact the RTS is currently spec'd with them. So unless the TA changes anything, the Pervosts are just the first of many to have those seats. Get used to it!

Ingrateful and snooty, and he wonders why no one likes him. I liked the older MCIs for having that silver front, but I suppose the (MTA) will paint the front like they did with that "order" of 23 MCIs from earlier last decade.

Order of 23???? :blink:

All CT's come with a white front.

Cheap???? You do realize that Prevost is a luxury coach and MTA is the only TA anywhere with X3-45's?

FYI, MTA specifies what they want on the bus, and the new MCI's and RTS' are expected to have the exact same seats. I know for a fact the RTS is currently spec'd with them. So unless the TA changes anything, the Pervosts are just the first of many to have those seats. Get used to it!

There are plenty of things that cost a lot that look cheap... I was really looking forward to the Prevosts, but what a let down... Anywho, the latest batch of MCIs weren't that great either. Seems like the (MTA) was smart in rejecting a large amount of them. In sum, expensive doesn't always mean "quality".

Ingrateful and snooty, and he wonders why no one likes him. I liked the older MCIs for having that silver front, but I suppose the (MTA) will paint the front like they did with that "order" of 23 MCIs from earlier last decade.

lol... No I don't wonder because I could care less either way. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

There are plenty of things that cost a lot that look cheap... I was really looking forward to the Prevosts, but what a let down... Anywho, the latest batch of MCIs weren't that great either. Seems like the (MTA) was smart in rejecting a large amount of them. In sum, expensive doesn't always mean "quality".

I still don't understand why you say they look cheap...

As far as the MCI 2200's, what's wrong with them?? And they were deffered, not rejected for something that is not even important to you as a rider.

I still don't understand why you say they look cheap...

As far as the MCI 2200's, what's wrong with them?? And they were deffered, not rejected for something that is not even important to you as a rider.

They look cheap in that they look like they won't hold up and just the design for NYC Bus is ugly... I happen to think that NYC buses are some of the nicest looking in terms of design, but these were a real let down.

As for the 22XXs they're not holding up well IMO. Signs are already messing up and some look in worse shape then their older brothers.

They look cheap in that they look like they won't hold up and just the design for NYC Bus is ugly... I happen to think that NYC buses are some of the nicest looking in terms of design, but these were a real let down.

As for the 22XXs they're not holding up well IMO. Signs are already messing up and some look in worse shape then their older brothers.

Them Prevosts are definitely not cheap, they are not called "luxury liners" for nothing. If you've ever seen Greyhound or the Hampton Jitney units, then you'd see that for yourself. My only issue with the Prevosts to an extent is the signs.

Signs always mess up on a new or old bus, thats a moot point. I shot those buses when they were brand new and like 1-2 signs were messed up. As for them looking in worse shape than others, you can thank Yukon for that! Castleton has been putting more work into them than Yukon ever did!

Them Prevosts are definitely not cheap, they are not called "luxury liners" for nothing. If you've ever seen Greyhound or the Hampton Jitney units, then you'd see that for yourself. My only issue with the Prevosts to an extent is the signs.

Signs always mess up on a new or old bus, thats a moot point. I shot those buses when they were brand new and like 1-2 signs were messed up. As for them looking in worse shape than others, you can thank Yukon for that! Castleton has been putting more work into them than Yukon ever did!

lol... Yes I know... Will the new MCIs have ports for charging laptops or whatever as well?? Speaking of which where are they located at on the Prevosts? I don't know if I forgot or was just too cramped on the rides that I've been on them to look around.

lol... Yes I know... Will the new MCIs have ports for charging laptops or whatever as well?? Speaking of which where are they located at on the Prevosts? I don't know if I forgot or was just too cramped on the rides that I've been on them to look around.

The MCIs will probably have outlets. I know the MTA Bus units should have them along with the current CTs at Castleton. The outlets are in a few rows on the Prevosts, I forget which ones though since I don't use them, but there is a decent number of them around the buses.

It is now official, and on the books. The order for 54 new buses is now in, with delivery now expected by years end.

The pilot is now expected in August in just about 90 days.

To your knowledge, will this be a STATEN ISLAND only order - Charleston/Castelton? or Charleston only.. I know that YUK/UP are out since they got the prevost order.

To your knowledge, will this be a STATEN ISLAND only order - Charleston/Castelton? or Charleston only.. I know that YUK/UP are out since they got the prevost order.

IIRC, all 54 will be for SI, but I would have to check on that to be sure.

QV should get 30 of these...2924 is their newest bus. That's a little over 10yrs old

Don't you dare say that... Queens Village only uses their express buses during the week, so of course they don't need new express buses. <_< A line I've heard wayyyy too often when I've made the same statement you did. Hell for that matter Meredith should get some too... I've almost been stuck in the @ss a few occasions with screws or nails or something coming through the seats on some of the Meredith express buses. If anything at least rehab the buses a little. Some of the buses have nothing but sunken in seats, broken AC overheads and lights. All of this for a lovely $5.50.

Some folks fail to realize that some of those Meredith buses were just hand-me-downs from other depots.

QV should get 30 of these...2924 is their newest bus. That's a little over 10yrs old

Last time I checked.. Queens Village doesn't run express buses all day..

Queens Village express buses don't carry enough mileage unlike Yukon, Charleston, Castelton, Meredith and Ulmer Park, and their buses run during the rush-hour.. This current bus order is exclusively for Staten Island (I believe).

Only question I have is why the decrease from 66 buses to 54 buses, and will there be a new procurement of MCI express buses for next year for NYCT? b/c UP and YUK needs to replace their 20xx's and 27xx buses.

Last time I checked.. Queens Village doesn't run express buses all day..

Queens Village express buses don't carry enough mileage unlike Yukon, Charleston, Castelton, Meredith and Ulmer Park, and their buses run during the rush-hour.. This current bus order is exclusively for Staten Island (I believe).

Only question I have is why the decrease from 66 buses to 54 buses, and will there be a new procurement of MCI express buses for next year for NYCT? b/c UP and YUK needs to replace their 20xx's and 27xx buses.

And what do you think that Queens Village doesn't swap buses from time to time?? Meredith which is another depot like Queens Village has swapped buses plenty of times and are running absolute garbage, so that's a moot point. They get the crappola from Yukon & Castleton which beats the hell out of their buses, so Queens Village needs new buses too as does Meredith.

And what do you think that Queens Village doesn't swap buses from time to time?? Meredith which is another depot like Queens Village has swapped buses plenty of times and are running absolute garbage, so that's a moot point. They get the crappola from Yukon & Castleton which beats the hell out of their buses, so Queens Village needs new buses too as does Meredith.

I definitely don't want to make this a fight on who gets express buses, I'll let the (MTA) deal with that. BUT, I've been on Queens Village express buses, and they ride very good. They are well maintained. Understood, that QV does get crappy buses (21xx buses) but have very good buses 28xx/29xx buses which most came from UP, another great maintained garage. So, I'm trying to get you. QV's buses don't run enough MILEAGE.

Once a upon of time QV had 4300-4329 brand new before those were sent to Ulmer Park and Yukon. They all go the same destination 23rd and 1st. and end at 57th and 6th via 34th.

Most of Meredith Avenue's buses also came from Ulmer Park and Yukon, so if you are telling me that they are beating up on these buses than I dunno what to tell you. Just my 2 cents.

I don't see Meredith getting new express buses anytime soon along with QV...mostly for the fact that IIRC, Meredith is not a full-time facility and their routes aren't 24/7.

That's actually not true because the majority of buses that are at Meredith right now have been there since the facility has opened and those buses have been in much better shape since their departure from Yukon and Castleton. Also, most of QV's express buses are in good shape since their maintenance on those buses are pretty top notch. I've been on a few 1900s out of QV (before they got scrapped) that looked really good on the inside and ran much better than anything out of S.I and Brooklyn.

Meredith got dumped with a number of 2000s that were scrapped, then got the decent batch of 21s and 22s from Ulmer Park. Considering that some of their buses get maintained at Charleston, I'd say that Meredith is in pretty good shape with the fleet.

Most of Meredith Avenue's buses also came from Ulmer Park and Yukon, so if you are telling me that they are beating up on these buses than I dunno what to tell you. Just my 2 cents.

You forgot Castleton, a good majority of the 2800s were theirs!

I don't see Meredith getting new express buses anytime soon along with QV...mostly for the fact that IIRC, Meredith is not a full-time facility and their routes aren't 24/7.

That's actually not true because the majority of buses that are at Meredith right now have been there since the facility has opened and those buses have been in much better shape since their departure from Yukon and Castleton. Also, most of QV's express buses are in good shape since their maintenance on those buses are pretty top notch. I've been on a few 1900s out of QV (before they got scrapped) that looked really good on the inside and ran much better than anything out of S.I and Brooklyn.

Meredith got dumped with a number of 2000s that were scrapped, then got the decent batch of 21s and 22s from Ulmer Park. Considering that some of their buses get maintained at Charleston, I'd say that Meredith is in pretty good shape with the fleet.

Yeah well how recent did they get the 21 and 22XXs because I was riding them when the depot first opened and you're right at that time they had a lot of 28XXs (almost exclusively) and then when we got those crappy 2000s with the broken overhead lights, sunken in seats and just out and out awful buses.

Yeah well how recent did they get the 21 and 22XXs because I was riding them when the depot first opened and you're right at that time they had a lot of 28XXs (almost exclusively) and then when we got those crappy 2000s with the broken overhead lights, sunken in seats and just out and out awful buses.

The 21xx and 22xx buses came in to Meredith in December/January when UP got their prevosts.

Only bus Meredith doesn't have is 2185. That's at Ulmer Park.

The 21xx and 22xx buses came in to Meredith in December/January when UP got their prevosts.

Only bus Meredith doesn't have is 2185. That's at Ulmer Park.

Yeah well then those buses weren't much better because I was riding those up until March daily or maybe they were just putting the really sh*tty ones on the X30. The X12 usually gets better buses. The X15 is in between. I rode an X12 about a few weeks ago and it was decent. Those 22XXs out of Castleton are already looking like crap on the inside thanks to the savages that ride the X10. Took one a few weeks ago... Slashed up seat that had been put back together with staples or something, trash on the floor... That's the one thing I don't see on the Riverdale buses... The occasional newspaper I'll see but I don't see gum and Metrocards stuck in the air vents and such...

• 2 months later...

Archived