Train Operator promo exam 8562

Den

What is the interview process like? One on one? Or are you in front of a table of people? Should you wear a suit and tie? What type of questions do they ask? Considering that no one is really qualified for the job until they finish school car, it must not be much about selling yourself experience wise in the interview. What about for the background check and stuff, are street clothes ok?

It's not like a pass/fail interview. They just talk about your resume and work history to make sure you have no gaps between jobs. Make sure all your information matches, from the two sets of papers they gave you to fill out. The attire was business casual (shirt, tie, slacks)(jacket not necessary) for the first call-in, but I saw one loser wearing jeans. I forget about the interview, but they will definitely tell you.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
if we get hired after the contract expires (jan 15th) but before they agree to a new one, will us newbies get f*cked if they sell out the newborn or are we not considered newborn if we get in before the new contract?

It's possible. They are offering 0% raise for the next three years, so they can't really take much back, in terms of negotiation. This is going to be a tough contract and might take a long time to come to an agreement. But everything will be retroactive.

I saw the MTA's demands, and they are pretty bad. Mainly, the new employees will take longer to get to 4 weeks vacation (10 years instead of 3). Night differential they want to start at 10PM. And longer to get to top pay.

well im not asking if the TWU is gonna sell out us newbies. im asking that IF they do, will we be considered "unborn" if we sneak in before the new contract is ratified?

Probably, because contracts are always retroactive from when the old ones end.

MTA workers got retroactive pay from the current contract. NYPD did the same.

I saw the MTA's demands, and they are pretty bad. Mainly, the new employees will take longer to get to 4 weeks vacation (10 years instead of 3). Night differential they want to start at 10PM. And longer to get to top pay.

I have a bad feeling that the Top Pay and Vacation time is going to get Ok'd...

What is the interview process like? One on one?

One on one with someone from HR. They will just ask you about the paperwork you filled out to clarify discrepancies and make sure your file is complete. It's nothing intensive or stressful, it's mostly informational. They'll also tell you the next steps you have to do, and if everything is OK, they will swear you in as a civil servant.

Or are you in front of a table of people?

No.

Should you wear a suit and tie?

Dress code is explained on the notice when you get called.

What type of questions do they ask? Considering that no one is really qualified for the job until they finish school car, it must not be much about selling yourself experience wise in the interview.

Answered above.

What about for the background check and stuff, are street clothes ok?

You won't be present for the background check. You sign something authorizing an independent contractor hired by MTA to do the background check on you. You will go in for a drug screening first (that's the date you get called for...and you probably will not need to call them, just show up...basically do what it says on the notice you receive in the mail). If that checks out, you will get a phone call to come in for a medical. If you pass the medical that day, you will get your "interview" with HR to finalize your hiring, swear you in, and fingerprint you/take a employee ID picture. If you don't pass your medical, you go on medical hold and have to come back as many times as necessary to resolve the hold. Once you resolve the hold, you'll get to the next step.

Once you're sworn in, you'll get all your start date information...where to go, what to wear, etc.

But just take it one step at a time. When you get the letter in the mail it'll be for the pre-employment drug screening. Just go in and be on time, and take it from there.

wait 7 years for decent vacation time and the (MTA) will probably offer 3-zeroes anyway??? i see this going to arbitration

Just like the other TWU local the Arbitratior may side with the MTA as well..

If you dont think for a second they wont sell the unborn out(meaning the Members who Vote)...

Do I lose my 4 weeks vacation when I start as a train operator? I took the promo test, passed, & got the call. I have 11+ years as a bus operator, thanks for any information on this.

You don't lose your 4 weeks vacation, but your vacation will likely be cancelled unless you can demonstrate hardship (such as nonrefundable travel arrangements already made). They will allow you to pick from what's available in RTO based on your seniority. Of course, your total time in Transit will determine your vacation quantity, not your time in RTO (so you'll get 4 weeks next year too).

If you get called for schoolcar very late in the year and they can't accommodate giving a "new" vacation, they will just pay you for it, and that's the worst case scenario. But you won't ever get "nothing" for your vacation.

You don't lose your 4 weeks vacation, but your vacation will likely be cancelled unless you can demonstrate hardship (such as nonrefundable travel arrangements already made). They will allow you to pick from what's available in RTO based on your seniority. Of course, your total time in Transit will determine your vacation quantity, not your time in RTO (so you'll get 4 weeks next year too).

If you get called for schoolcar very late in the year and they can't accommodate giving a "new" vacation, they will just pay you for it, and that's the worst case scenario. But you won't ever get "nothing" for your vacation.

Thanks SubwayGuy for the extra infomation. I'm going this week to 180 livingston for the drug testing, I guess it shouldn't be too much longer.

Hey Hellboy, what list number are you? Just wondering. I am on the O/C list and was wanting to know how far they have gotten. Good Luck!

I'm 517. I called DCAS today so I can tell you that the last certified was 608 and the last appointed was 474, hope this helps. Good luck to you too Gherigfan!

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks SubwayGuy for the extra infomation. I'm going this week to 180 livingston for the drug testing, I guess it shouldn't be too much longer.

Why would they make you take a drug test when you work for the MTA already as a bus operator?

Procedure is my guess, as well as T/O being a safety sensitive Title...

That's about right, MTA keeps you on your toes! Go to work one day thinking it's going to the same old same, but you're told that you're going down for a random drug testing, have a accident on the job - go down for drug testing.

Archived