Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Which lines overwork their cars?

The following,

(A),(C),(D),(E),(F),(G),(J),(L),(N),(Q),(1),(2), (3) ,(4),(6).

You might as well say the entire system if you're gonna do that. The fact of the matter is these cars were built to be worked hard. And how is the car being overworked when the vast majority of the system's fleet if not all of the system's fleets retire at 40+ years? You don't get that kind of shelf-life from overuse.

But that's why subway cars and buses cost what they do. They're built to be overworked and used. Subway cars and buses are tested like crazy before they're put into the service. Doors will be closed and opened over and over during the course of the day and these subway cars and buses must be able to withstand the wear and tear of the city. The manufacturers know this which is why they generally build subway cars and buses that stand the test of time.

You might as well say the entire system if you're gonna do that. The fact of the matter is these cars were built to be worked hard. And how is the car being overworked when the vast majority of the system's fleet if not all of the system's fleets retire at 40+ years? You don't get that kind of shelf-life from overuse.

But the (C)(J) and (Z) Have The Cars Which Have The Hell Beaten Out Of Them.

It's a fact that subway cars in NYC have a hard "life". But on which line do you think they have the hardest one? I think cars on the (6) and (7) work pretty hard..

Both the (E) and 42nd Street (S) have high ridership. They also recycle alot at stations. The (2) is one of the longest and busiest lines in the system.

The (4), (5), (6), (A) and (C) equipment take a beating. With the Lexington Avenue Line the answer's obvious but the (A) and (C) currently utilize the oldest equipment in the system and the length of these routes as well as the frequent door opening and closing, and their heavy usage during rush hours, can take their toll on the (A) and (C) fleet, as well as the entire fleet of subway cars as a whole.

I actually would have said the same lines he did for this one.......

And added in the 42nd street shuttle.

I actually would have said the same lines he did for this one.......

And added in the 42nd street shuttle.

The problem with that last sentence is the shuttle has a period of time every day where it doesn't run at all providing the perfect chance for regular maintenance on those cars. I'd have to pay attention to the car numbers as well just to make sure I can't say they don't swap in 62As from the (1) and I still think he may as well have said the entire system.

in my opinion the (2) is the hardest working train. it may not be the longest line but it's the second longest with express service only in manhattan with a lot of stops in brooklyn & almost 2 dozen stops in the bronx. & lets not even get started with about late nights. & its been the same R142's since 1999 when they were put into service.

Archived