Photographer getting harassed by MTA Police @ Penn Station

mark1447

The solider did not want to be photographed so the (MTA) Police stepped up and just told him not to take photos of the guy. I think that's why he received the ticket. The photographer wasn't taking any photos of any trains for that matter.

Despite the way he acted he did have the right to take pictures. The cops should have been a little more professional though. They didn't exactly speak the right way and summonsed him for not breaking any laws. However if the soldier asked him to stop he should have been a little more respectful.

This guy is a d**khead, he should have been locked up for dis con after he followed the solider and refused to stop filming. Just because you "can" do something it doesn't mean that you really should.

The solider did not want to be photographed so the (MTA) Police stepped up and just told him not to take photos of the guy. I think that's why he received the ticket. The photographer wasn't taking any photos of any trains for that matter.

well loooks like the photographer was in the wrong this time.

Which is clearly the case, this goof was asking for a fight. I do agree with the fact that the MTA cops were acting like complete jackasses, but this guy was asking for this confrontation by being unreasonably aggressive and such.

Despite the way he acted he did have the right to take pictures. The cops should have been a little more professional though. They didn't exactly speak the right way and summonsed him for not breaking any laws. However if the soldier asked him to stop he should have been a little more respectful.

See Above. And.....

Thats what happened, but instead of him honoring the request, he kept taking pictures of the soldier, thus leading to a confrontation with the soldier and the MTA police! The guy is just a damn attention whore in my opinion by crying wolf for something HE CAUSED and by not honoring the soldier's request to not take photos of him! And then he goes on by provoking the cops which makes his situation a whole lot worse!

While the MTA police were acting like total douchebags about this, they had to step in on this because he was technically harassing the soldier. This guy brought this shit onto himself and its HIS fault 100% all the way by

(A). Not respecting the Soldier's request

(B). Continuing his acts by harassing the soldier

(C). Being aggressive and provoking the cops

So, who REALLY IS the bad guy in this case?

My answer? That damn moron of a photographer!

"He didnt get consent to photograph the soldier, thats screw up #1 on his part" Sorry Cait Sith, he didn't have to get his consent. There is no law that states that photographers must get consent of someone to take their picture if they are in public view. You only need consent after you take the picture if you plan on using it for commercial use.

"He didnt get consent to photograph the soldier, thats screw up #1 on his part" Sorry Cait Sith, he didn't have to get his consent. There is no law that states that photographers must get consent of someone to take their picture if they are in public view. You only need consent after you take the picture if you plan on using it for commercial use.

Actually you do if your going to make $$$ of them and Joey does make $$$. If your shooting in a general way then this doesn't apply but if your shooting at a person it does. I think he was shooting at the person , because in a general way they would make such a big deal out of this... I think he also made it worse knowing him , because if your kind and respectful it will be dismissed. But be rude and confrontation and of course they'll be bitchy.

Actually you do if your going to make $$$ of them and Joey does make $$$. If your shooting in a general way then this doesn't apply but if your shooting at a person it does. I think he was shooting at the person , because in a general way they would make such a big deal out of this... I think he also made it worse knowing him , because if your kind and respectful it will be dismissed. But be rude and confrontation and of course they'll be bitchy.

Wrong. If I wanted to take a picture of you in public, I don't need your consent.

Are you sure because i'm told that you do if you do it directly.....what about buildings?

I'm sure. Like I said, the only exception is if you plan on using the photograph for commercial use. Other than that, I don't need permission.

Agreed wit Y2J! Photographers take pictures of people as well(Most). Not just non-living things. Some have long telephoto lens and take photos for personal use. I can name a few, but I won't.

He pretty much didn't violate any laws. Now since the solider did asked not to be taken, then yeah, he shouldn't have taken a pic and take a pic of some other one.. But that wouldn't stop him from taking a photo.

It’s true that he didn’t need permission, but it’s also a matter of respect. When the soldier asked that his photo not be taken, Boots should have respected his wish and gone to look for another soldier to photograph. It’s one thing to take a photograph of a street or a station with various people in it – they are not the specific focus of the image and their presence is incidental. It’s another thing to take a photograph of person in which they are the primary subject in the image. If you can capture a candid image and the subject does not object, good for you, but if they ask that you not take the image, I think their request should be honored. This incident is not going to do anything to win people over to our side.

Yeah well, who the hell said I was talking about some law? Someone with common sense would ask first in order to respect his decision instead of blatantly throwing him out in places obviously (even though most people dont). If you wouldnt want to get consent, well thats you. I rather be respectful than to trample over someone's privacy and space, ESPECIALLY when it comes to our U.S serviceman.

Yeah well, someone with common sense would ask first in order to respect his decision instead of blatantly throwing him out in places obviously. If you wouldnt want to get consent, well thats you. I rather be respectful than to trample over someone's privacy and space, ESPECIALLY when it comes to our U.S serviceman.

In public, there is no expectation to privacy especially for those in public service/government jobs. If I were to cover the cab window in my train, I'd get written up for it by supervision. Employees have complained about it via the union and management's response has always been, what privacy, you're in a job working for the public, there is no privacy. Even as a police officer, the public can photograph you.

In public, there is no expectation to privacy especially for those in public service/government jobs. If I were to cover the cab window in my train, I'd get written up for it by supervision. Employees have complained about it via the union and management's response has always been, what privacy, you're in a job working for the public, there is no privacy. Even as a police officer, the public can photograph you.

The question is, would you let them/allow them to photograph you when they did? Would you let them go away with some random photo of you?

Like I said, you and I have different views on this. Many people got different preferences when it comes to situations like this. The way I see it, that JoeyBoots person should've just respected his request and moved on with his day instead of having to pick a fight for no reason.

The question is, would you let them/allow them to photograph you when they did? Would you let them go away with some random photo of you?

Like I said, you and I have different views on this. Many people got different preferences when it comes to situations like this. The way I see it, that JoeyBoots person should've just respected his request and moved on with his day instead of having to pick a fight for no reason.

Yes, I would let them. I got nothing to hide, I do my job by the book. If things like that bothered me, then I shouldn't be working in a job where you're interacting with the public and out in view.

Yes, I would let them. I got nothing to hide, I do my job by the book. If things like that bothered me, then I shouldn't be working in a job where you're interacting with the public and out in view.

Well alright then.:tup:

But like I said, people got different views when it comes to things like this.

Yeah I'm still waiting for anyone to Comfront me cause I'll make you Famous

And Julio you got a facebook account right with a clear pic of you in the cab so did you grant that pic to be passed around cuz we all know its you .

Taking pics in any situation can cause problems so just be respectful in your craft and thats really all you can do ....Police have a Agenda all their own so to anyone reading this just try not to piss them off ....I know its ok for pics but you dont need to take it a step further.

Very well said! If you work in a public job you have to accept the fact you can be photographed at anytime.

I could careless if someone pictures me im not doing anything wrong. Its apart of working in the public...dont like it too bad.

I remember sometime ago I took a pic of a cop while he was on his phone...well I didnt intend to I was taking a pic of a bxm10 and the cop. The cop looked at me in a very hateful manner.

Archived