Bathroom breaks on the job

LadyBus

I'm curious. what happens when a B/O is on route and they have to go to the bathroom. what do they do????

If you can make it to the end of the line, you call control and take a personal. Personals are 20 minutes. If not and you have passengers, you call control, and take a personal still. You inform the passengers that you will be back shortly and that you have to use restroom, and you find a restroom. When line training always be aware of the places around you, and realize which one will possibly have a bathroom (salon, restaurant, etc). If passengers are on your bus, you log off the farebox, dump the air in the front door, and shut the bus off. If driving an articulated, you turn the wheelchair power on. This keeps the bus from being shifted into drive. This is called securing the vehicle.

You don't get in trouble for this, as this is in the contract (per union agreement)........

If you can make it to the end of the line, you call control and take a personal. Personals are 20 minutes. If not and you have passengers, you call control, and take a personal still. You inform the passengers that you will be back shortly and that you have to use restroom, and you find a restroom. When line training always be aware of the places around you, and realize which one will possibly have a bathroom (salon, restaurant, etc). If passengers are on your bus, you log off the farebox, dump the air in the front door, and shut the bus off. If driving an articulated, you turn the wheelchair power on. This keeps the bus from being shifted into drive. This is called securing the vehicle.

You don't get in trouble for this, as this is in the contract (per union agreement)........

That is good to know,thanks. Is there a limit on how many personals you can take in a shift?

thanks DOB2RTO, you are very informative. I read some of your responses, and i have to say, you know your stuff. It's good to have people that are informative. thanks again.

Hi Lady-

You are right about these guys out here to help us newbies... I'm waiting to hear the next step as well, although I'll be awhile after just taking the test last month. I pick up whatever I can from these guys, they really do help. It's great they don't mind getting their minds picked...

FDB

I've never seen someone call personal during a route...wonder why...

That is good to know,thanks. Is there a limit on how many personals you can take in a shift?

Nope, and we know how to use it when supervisors on the road get on our nerves, or don't help us out when we are extremely late, but would rather write one up for being 2 minutes early. But they will take you off the road, and send you to MAC and your doctor to check if you have bladder problems, if you take to many personals a day. They will try their best to not pay you either...........

Well at least you don't have to cross your legs to the end of the line...

Last month I tried that. I just got to work, and soon as i was ready to make my relief, I needed to make a relief (of the bladder). Didn't have the time. My first trip is 1 hr and 17 minutes S/B on the M100. I got to the end late, with the 125st traffic. I though I could make it back N/B (1hr 14 minutes). I was in severe pain by the time I passed Amsterdam Depot. I decided to try to get to 179st, and use the latrine in the GWB terminal. By the time I got to 140st, I had unbuckled my pants, and was sweating bullets (yes customers were on the bus, but I did it so they wouldn't notice). They noticed the sweating though. There was a salon on the same side as City College, just across the street. I ran out of that bus, and used the facilities. When I got back on, one customer said "look at him sweating". She understood, as she use to work for the telephone company, and she told me she went through the same thing at times. No one complained, but then again I think they noticed the sweating. At this job, and most likely worse in RTO, you can get bladder problems. Hip and knee problems are also something quite a few will experience here.

I've never seen someone call personal during a route...wonder why...

Ride long enough and you might........

In RTO you can take what we call a comfort at the Terminal. You have a Min 13 Minutes some schedules only give you a 15 Minute lay over at the main terminal and you must be on your train 2 Minutes ahead of time. The Union and Mgt are still working on changing some of the work programs to give us more lay over time. Taken a comfort in route you must radio it to control so they can reroute or hold back on train service behind you. They really don't want you doing this and you may have to call control or be interviewed by Supervision at the end of your trip.

RTO is more strict on this because what happens on your train effects the whole line and other lines.

In RTO you can take what we call a comfort at the Terminal. You have a Min 13 Minutes some schedules only give you a 15 Minute lay over at the main terminal and you must be on your train 2 Minutes ahead of time. The Union and Mgt are still working on changing some of the work programs to give us more lay over time. Taken a comfort in route you must radio it to control so they can reroute or hold back on train service behind you. They really don't want you doing this and you may have to call control or be interviewed by Supervision at the end of your trip.

RTO is more strict on this because what happens on your train effects the whole line and other lines.

I would just carry an extra pair of shoes. One for #1 the other for # 2..........

Isn't the bus operator shielded from the back by a partition so to speak,they don't let you carry one of those bottles that you can piss in,saves time,lol,you wouldn't have to stop and secure the bus and go find a restroom. I guess that isn't allowed,you would be arrested for indecent exposure probably.

The thing is on a very cold day you will have to pee more often,when that front passenger door opens the cold air comes right at you even if for a few seconds.

Isn't the bus operator shielded from the back by a partition so to speak,they don't let you carry one of those bottles that you can piss in,saves time,lol,you wouldn't have to stop and secure the bus and go find a restroom. I guess that isn't allowed,you would be arrested for indecent exposure probably.

The thing is on a very cold day you will have to pee more often,when that front passenger door opens the cold air comes right at you even if for a few seconds.

Yes, but you can be seen on the side, through the front window, through the front door, and the driver side window. As for bottles, the rear stepwell, making sure the area has very little pedestrian traffic, and is far from the bus stop, I won't comment on B)..................

Oh well,they should have a bathroom on each bus with the bus operator holding the key. Then again you would probably get asked a thousand times for the key to use the bathroom. I mean how many seats would a bathroom in the back of the bus take up?

2 rear and possibly one side seat.

You asked about the bottle, I hope you read my last sentence in the previous post carefully. Some hints are thrown out there..............

Lol they do this ALL the time on the Bx8, but the driver is purposely early to do this so it's all good. One time on the 8 a driver saw I was the only one on the bus, and he gave me $5 and told him to buy 2 hot dogs. Then we chatted and stuff (he gave me one and told me keep the change too! His wallet was packed, man yall drivers be Ballliiiinnnn... LOL) and he did exactly what DOB2RTO said. He turned off the Orion VII CNG (7624) and then went to a bathroom break, and came back while I got the food. Too bad I don't see that driver anymore.

Also sometimes they wait for lord knows how long for the release to arrive each time I take the 8 (the release is the driver who switches with the one who's driving the bus so the other one can go to lunch/home, or where ever).

Also sometimes they wait for lord knows how long for the release to arrive each time I take the 8 (the release is the driver who switches with the one who's driving the bus so the other one can go to lunch/home, or where ever).

It's relief...........The Bx8 is a senior line, so I never got to work that one at WF depot, when I switched there last year...........I became a know face on the Bx19 line, as I have passengers get on the M100 now, and say, "hey it's our driver from the Bx19"..............

• 3 weeks later...

Pelham bay dave, can you explain to me how the BR break works while you are on route, what happens if you really have to go and cant hold it in, I heard in the daily news a lady with IBS and she had to go for relief by supervisors made her life hell. I have the same diagnosis from my doctor but I have it under control with medication but there are times where nature calls, I am going for pre employment and I would like to know before I join up

Pelham bay dave, can you explain to me how the BR break works while you are on route, what happens if you really have to go and cant hold it in, I heard in the daily news a lady with IBS and she had to go for relief by supervisors made her life hell. I have the same diagnosis from my doctor but I have it under control with medication but there are times where nature calls, I am going for pre employment and I would like to know before I join up

Are you going for T/O also? You will have to disclose this to MTA. Make sure you have a letter from you doctor, that says it is under control. They will try to not hire you.........

Well the truth is if you have to take a bathroom break you must do it at the Terminal and make it quick. You must be able to go a least 2 Hours before using the bathroom. I personally control what I eat and drink before going that the road and time it when I may have to use the restroom again. The (MTA) Department of Subways don't like it when you call for a comfort in route because that mean your train will be late and trains behind you causing a delay in train service or trains being rerouted It mess up thier on time performance which the Line Supts have goals thier line has to meet. Also ANY time there is a delay in service it has to be CHARGED to something A Crew comfort is a RTO Charge. In any RTO Charge problem a RTO Supervisor must interview you on why you had to go in the middle of your run.

Its something that happens every once and a while to some people and they understand it and won't mess with you too much if it wasn't much of a delay to service but if you call up multiple times in the year like over 2 they will take you out of service and send you to the TA DR. I have heard of a person just going once first time in 3 Years and they had him write a report to the Supt on why he had to use the bathroom. The TSS and T/D interviewed him about when he last went to the restroom from the reported incident of him using a bathroom enroute. That incident happened on the (1)(9) Lines Rush Hour at 116 St Uptown. Let me also say its worst with restroom breaks on the IRT home of the 2 Minutes headways and 2HR + cab time. If you work the (1)(5)(6) Lines you are expected to go one whole round trip before getting off your train since you will be using the loop with no lay over time like South Ferry , Bowling Green and Brooklyn Bridge. Also keep in mind on any line you don't know when you going to see a terminal You can be operating a (A) going to 207 St from Far Rockaway and they call you on the radio you last stop will be 125 Street discharge your train and take it into the Spur change ends and let us know when your ready to return to Far Rockaway. Now thats another 1HR 30 on the train.

If you think you can control your bathroom breaks come on over but if not they going to mess with you thats the nature of the beast. The (MTA) just looks at you as a pass number that can be replaced by the next number on the list because they always calling.

I know its kind of cold but I'm just keeping it real.

• 9 months later...
I'm curious. what happens when a B/O is on route and they have to go to the bathroom. what do they do????

dont worry, LadyBus, im taking the T/O exam next month and i got very worried about this issue too. but look, there's a device!

http://www.biorelief.com/stadium-gal.html

and one for us guys too

http://www.biorelief.com/travel-urinals/stadiumpal.html

now i dont know if any other bus or train operators use this but i drink too much water to risk it. so thats my plan, lol

That's why you find so many coffee cups in the cabs on these longer lines. The T.A. may try to play God but you don't mess with Mother Nature.

LOL. i was thinking about coffee cups but when you pull into a station they can see you on your right side window! not to mention i hear that you have to put pressure on the controls so the train knows you're still consious. so you wont have any free hands:confused:

LOL. i was thinking about coffee cups but when you pull into a station they can see you on your right side window! not to mention i hear that you have to put pressure on the controls so the train knows you're still consious. so you wont have any free hands:confused:

Stop between stations, take a full service brake, TCB, ditch cup, proceed.

I've seen T/Os eating McDonalds while operating a train so its possible to get one hand free at least. If not then just set the cup on the floor and be good at aiming without looking :P

Archived