Two Men Caught Dismantling Manteca Railroad Tracks Hoping To Cash In On*Metal

LRG

MANTECA (CBS13) — A pair of thieves spent hours dismantling a section of the Manteca railroad tracks, only to have their plan derailed by a neighboring worker.

*“They have no fear of getting caught, doing this in broad daylight, that’s just crazy,” said an Ace Tomato employee.

A man who didn’t want to appear on camera is one of many Ace Tomato employees working in the yard when he noticed the duo destroying the private railroad line.

“They were stealing the rails and the iron that held the rails together,” he told CBS13.

Working by hand, the men took their time with what had to be a tedious task.

“They were working hard doing it, they were using poles to wedge and pull everything up,” the Ace Tomato employee said.

The two men stripped 100 yards of the tomato company’s track, hoping to get away with a hefty load of iron to then cash in as scrap metal.

But, deputies arrived before the thieves could leave.

“To take parts of a train track, come on, that’s pretty brazen,” said Sgt. Les Garcia, San Joaquin Sheriff’s Department.

The destruction caused a hold up to the Union Pacific line because crews had to check for missing parts.* And deputies say that if the thieves would have stripped the Union Pacific track, just a few feet away, they would have had to answer to the feds.

“If it was their property, they could be seriously facing some federal charges there,” said Sgt. Garcia.

The duo faces a long list of charges; meanwhile the company hopes to repair the damaged track.

Link: http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2011/05/26/two-men-caught-dismantling-manteca-railroad-tracks-hoping-to-cash-in-on-metal/

lol... People are becoming more brazen and dumber by the day. Reminds me of the old bus stops here in the city. They would go around stealing them to sell them. Since they've changed to the newer bus stops, I wonder if they are still stolen? I see a lot of the tops missing where the bus logo is at. It could just be DOT however. One morning I was waiting for the X30 and a guy got out of a truck with a bunch of signs in the back and took down an old S48 sign that needed to be replaced but didn't replace it immediately, so I assume that they take them down and then replace them as they create the new signs.

I remember back in March I saw a bus sign at the Mall that was out of it's position, laying on a patch of grass. This was at Ring Road and the bus stop closest to Richmond Hill Road (called Macy's Platinum Avenue). But my friend and I put it back into place...and it wasn't that easy as I had initially thought!

Things like this makes me wonder that the flying hell is possible with our system. I think there was an incident a few decades back in which two guys vandalized the track, I'm not sure...or maybe I'm confused with the story about vandals messing with the handbrakes that are in between cars on the B-ends of the R32 and R38s...either way it's still pretty stupid.

I remember back in March I saw a bus sign at the Mall that was out of it's position, laying on a patch of grass. This was at Ring Road and the bus stop closest to Richmond Hill Road (called Macy's Platinum Avenue). But my friend and I put it back into place...and it wasn't that easy as I had initially thought!

Things like this makes me wonder that the flying hell is possible with our system. I think there was an incident a few decades back in which two guys vandalized the track, I'm not sure...or maybe I'm confused with the story about vandals messing with the handbrakes that are in between cars on the B-ends of the R32 and R38s...either way it's still pretty stupid.

Yeah, I see a ton of missing or destroyed bus stops of Staten Island. We've had several deadly car accidents on Forest Avenue alone in the past few years that have taken out the bus stop entirely. The bus stop there on Forest and Clove going towards the ferry and the next one there at Forest and Manor Rd were taken out pretty badly. The one at Clove was totally ripped out from the sidewalk and it took them a few months before they put a new one up.

It wasn't for scrap metal. The foamers wanted to build their own backyard railroad system. Next up was a locomotive :)

LMAO what about passenger cars, go fishing for some reefed Redbirds and Slanis in the Atlantic???

LMAO what about passenger cars, go fishing for some reefed Redbirds and Slanis in the Atlantic???

Naw, they need railroad cars. Remember, they want to play choo-choo in real life :)

Archived