My impression of Bus models in Brooklyn.

MattTrain

I like riding the RTS bus models. They were so dominant on the routes that I rode the most the B4 and the B68 in Brooklyn. Nowadays, most of the bus routes I see on Brooklyn are dominated by the Orion and New Flyer models. There are currently no articulated models running around in Brooklyn. The RTS models are no longer on the B4 and the B68, now they're dominated by Orion VII's. Same thing withe the B11. The B1, B6, and the B36 are still use the RTS buses. The X29 used to have the RTS bus models with cushion seats, and the fare was only $3.

I like the look of the Orion buses, but some of them have low floor seating, which means that a passenger in a low floor bus is at the same eye contact level as that of a passenger riding in an average car. To me, if I like to look from a higher viewpoint, I'd have to go in the back of the bus, where the floor is two steps higher than in the front. B) I hope the MTA NYC transit doesn't decide to dump the old RTS buses in the ocean! B) .

Anyways, the new New Flyer and Orion buses are less noisy:). I like it, but I wish the RTS buses didn't have to retire so soon. B)

If you had a car and there was some gay child molester on the bus looking at you on an RTS, how would you feel? I saw kill all RTS and replace them with the Orion VIIs and I don't care what anybody says.

What???????? A gay child molester can at look at you on an orion VII too. Your post doesnt make any sence. A child molester can look at you on any bus not just an RTS.

What???????? A gay child molester can at look at you on an orion VII too. Your post doesnt make any sence. A child molester can look at you on any bus not just an RTS.

You'll notice if you see him on an VII...you won't on an RTS b/c of the height...Plus it's also faster when a wheelchair boards the bus. Just put the lamp on and there you go. On an RTS, you have to go to the backdoor, use that moving shit which takes forever and then go back to the drivers seat. Some people use the oppurtunity for a free ride when that happens. On a VII, the driver KNOWS if someone is avoiding the fair while doing the wheelchair thing b/c he remains in the FRONT of the bus not the rear.

You'll notice if you see him on an VII...you won't on an RTS b/c of the height...Plus it's also faster when a wheelchair boards the bus. Just put the lamp on and there you go. On an RTS, you have to go to the backdoor, use that moving shit which takes forever and then go back to the drivers seat. Some people use the oppurtunity for a free ride when that happens. On a VII, the driver KNOWS if someone is avoiding the fair while doing the wheelchair thing b/c he remains in the FRONT of the bus not the rear.

However the orion VII has a LOT of wasted space on it. And an orion VII can be unsafe if a car crashed into it on the side due to it being low floor not to mention if the glass breaks upon impact. And the RTSs are much faster than the orion VII. The B15 is a pefect example on the belt parkway part of the route. An RTS can go 55 to 60 mph wheres a hyshit can barly go 35 mph ask any B15 B/O. They will tell you that the RTS PWNS the VIIs on that run.

However the orion VII has a LOT of wasted space on it. And an orion VII can be unsafe if a car crashed into it on the side due to it being low floor not to mention if the glass breaks upon impact. And the RTSs are much faster than the orion VII. The B15 is a pefect example on the belt parkway part of the route. An RTS can go 55 to 60 mph wheres a hyshit can barly go 35 mph ask any B15 B/O. They will tell you that the RTS PWNS the VIIs on that run.

Not at all. The orion VII do not have governors, where as the RTS's do. That is why the mainly use them on the M98, which also uses MJ Quill Orion V soft seats. I qualified out of Fresh Pond Depot, and even the instructors will tell you the Orion VII is faster. The RTSs out of Brooklyn depots most aren't governed, due to the fact they use the parkways for deadheads at times. Most Hyshits as you call them, are still faster accelerating. I agree the low floors suck, to a point. Driver comfort they are the best (next to the 1999 Orion V). Problem is handling potholes with a loaded bus. They do bottom out. You can hear it on the M60 when the bus is going Queens bound from 125s onto the Tri-Boro bridge. Nasty potholes there, and I can here it when parked alongside the gas station on 2nd ave. I have had it happen with the orion VII CNGs, which are the same buses, just about 1 ton heavier, with a different propulsion............

Another problem with the Orion VII's is that if you have a standing load the people won't move up the stairs in the back. I have been unable to get on hybrids on the B82 a few times because the passengers were up to the white line, However there was standing room in the back. If that bus was an RTS or and Orion V I would have been able to get on.

Another problem with the Orion VII's is that if you have a standing load the people won't move up the stairs in the back. I have been unable to get on hybrids on the B82 a few times because the passengers were up to the white line, However there was standing room in the back. If that bus was an RTS or and Orion V I would have been able to get on.

True, that is why I wouldn't move the bus, and tell the people to go up the steps and stand, cause others need the bus also.........

Dude, I dunno what you're riding, but those O7s are FAST. The takeoff is faster than of an RTS. I've been on O7s that have dusted RTSs.

Not at all. The orion VII do not have governors, where as the RTS's do. That is why the mainly use them on the M98, which also uses MJ Quill Orion V soft seats. I qualified out of Fresh Pond Depot, and even the instructors will tell you the Orion VII is faster. The RTSs out of Brooklyn depots most aren't governed, due to the fact they use the parkways for deadheads at times. Most Hyshits as you call them, are still faster accelerating. I agree the low floors suck, to a point. Driver comfort they are the best (next to the 1999 Orion V). Problem is handling potholes with a loaded bus. They do bottom out. You can hear it on the M60 when the bus is going Queens bound from 125s onto the Tri-Boro bridge. Nasty potholes there, and I can here it when parked alongside the gas station on 2nd ave. I have had it happen with the orion VII CNGs, which are the same buses, just about 1 ton heavier, with a different propulsion............

I think some orion VII from ENY and other depots got their engine governed recently. Ive been hearing that people were seeing the engine modified sticker on the dash board recently. I meant to say that the RTS seem to have higher top speed. Btw don't the VIIs have a safely feature wheres they cant go fast up hill?

Dude, I dunno what you're riding, but those O7s are FAST. The takeoff is faster than of an RTS. I've been on O7s that have dusted RTSs.

What depot these buses were buses from? Have you ever rode an VII over the willyB bridge? When they are going up hill they cant go fast due to safely features. Wheres the RTSs dont have it and they go FAST across the bridge. Smoking the VIIs in the dusk.

Okay, I like the Orion buses, but sometimes the fact that the front section is lower than the back section of the bus can be a hassle. Getting off the bus has been tricky on the Orion VII sometimes because some tend to forget that the front section is lower than the back section, and some people trip and fall from that. Well at least that's what happened when these low floored buses were first put into service. Now there are signs saying "(W)atch you® (S)tep" when stepping between the front and back section.

Overall, these buses are good, can't complain. When it gets crowded, then the best place is in the back.

B)

B15 drivers prefer the RTS because they handle the road better. The Orion VII is definitely faster and only underpowered when it comes to hills.

This is also why they don't like to use Orion VII's on the (L) shuttle. In 2006 I used to catch the (L) daily and on the weekends, for what seemed like forever, they would use every bus type except an Orion VII. They did use a few C40's also, but not many.

Okay, I like the Orion buses, but sometimes the fact that the front section is lower than the back section of the bus can be a hassle. Getting off the bus has been tricky on the Orion VII sometimes because some tend to forget that the front section is lower than the back section, and some people trip and fall from that. Well at least that's what happened when these low floored buses were first put into service. Now there are signs saying "(W)atch you® (S)tep" when stepping between the front and back section.

Overall, these buses are good, can't complain. When it gets crowded, then the best place is in the back.

B)

LOL at whoever falls because they forgot they were on a low floor!

You are kidding, right?? The hybrids can take off like a rocket and leave the RTS bus in it's dust. It is fully electric and is controlled by the operator by pressing the accelerator, come off the pedal and re apply the pedal to control speed. Same with the braking. Apply the brake and the bus comes to a fast stop. The idea is to apply the brake, come off the pedal and reapply the brake to come to a slow controlled stop. The RTS is Diesel fuel driven and has a max of 55 MPH on a highway but only 15-25 in the city streets.

The RTS is being fazed out and the TA is getting clean air technology Orions. The Articulated buses are no longer being manufactured. (The company went bankrupt) so NYCTA is looking at a Mercedes Benz bus as well as a few other manufacturers prototypes.(MTA)

You are kidding, right?? The hybrids can take off like a rocket and leave the RTS bus in it's dust. It is fully electric and is controlled by the operator by pressing the accelerator, come off the pedal and re apply the pedal to control speed. Same with the braking. Apply the brake and the bus comes to a fast stop. The idea is to apply the brake, come off the pedal and reapply the brake to come to a slow controlled stop. The RTS is Diesel fuel driven and has a max of 55 MPH on a highway but only 15-25 in the city streets.

The RTS is being fazed out and the TA is getting clean air technology Orions. The Articulated buses are no longer being manufactured. (The company went bankrupt) so NYCTA is looking at a Mercedes Benz bus as well as a few other manufacturers prototypes.(MTA)

What is the top speed of the hybrids? And the RTS from umler park and flatbush depot can go really fast. And whats the max speed of hybrids on the highways?

What depot these buses were buses from? Have you ever rode an VII over the willyB bridge? When they are going up hill they cant go fast due to safely features. Wheres the RTSs dont have it and they go FAST across the bridge. Smoking the VIIs in the dusk.
Sure I've been on both RTSs and O7s over the Willy B. Sure, the RTS can get up hill faster, but the O7s catches up once it tops the hill.

And I've been on O7s and RTSs out of every depot, so I know what I be seeing.

Actually the Orion VII is not fully electric. The Hybrid propultion system only drives the bus from 0 to 15 MPH, then the dielsel kicks in. As far as the New Flyer Artic goes, they didn't go bankrupt, they just stoped making high floor buses. New Flyer remains the #1 Articulated bus maker. And the second largest 40 ft bus maker next to Orion, which is now #1 thanks to the Orion VII. I've also been on plenty of Brooklyn and Manhattan RTS's that do in excess of 45 MPH on the streets.

What is the top speed of the hybrids? And the RTS from umler park and flatbush depot can go really fast. And whats the max speed of hybrids on the highways?

Not sure of the top speed for the Hybrid, but I think it's 45-50MPH. The RTS is 55-60 MPH. Flatbush does have the fastest RTS's which have the ZF Ecomat Transmissions. (5075-5124) Most of these run neck to neck with the Orion VII at acceleration. Detroit RTS's with the ZF can hit 70 MPH.

The Low Floor Hybrids can have a tendency to break down at any moment. I remember getting on the B51, bus number 6572, and right after the bus got off the Manny B., it broke down. How glad I was that did not happen a few minutes prior to.

The Low Floor Hybrids can have a tendency to break down at any moment. I remember getting on the B51, bus number 6572, and right after the bus got off the Manny B., it broke down. How glad I was that did not happen a few minutes prior to.

Those hybrids aways break down. There are the most unrelible bus in the fleet. Every time i turn around is see one of those POS on a tow truck. They are the worst bus in the fleet. The RTSs and orion Vs are much better and much more reliable.

well i hope they done retire the RTS and dump it in the ocean. I undersatnd that they need to make new buses. But i believed that they can renew the TMC TRS bus and make it look brand new again. Like the show MTV pimp my Ride. Well they can Pimp the TMC abd make it look new again. They need to renew some of the buses. That New flyer that runs in jackie gleason depot look whack.

well i hope they done retire the RTS and dump it in the ocean. I undersatnd that they need to make new buses. But i believed that they can renew the TMC TRS bus and make it look brand new again. Like the show MTV pimp my Ride. Well they can Pimp the TMC abd make it look new again. They need to renew some of the buses. That New flyer that runs in jackie gleason depot look whack.

Yes they can GOH the buses and they will be like new. And yes those new flyer low floors out of JG are beyond lame.

Those hybrids aways break down. There are the most unrelible bus in the fleet. Every time i turn around is see one of those POS on a tow truck. They are the worst bus in the fleet. The RTSs and orion Vs are much better and much more reliable.

04 HEV are the worst....trust me thoses are the true POS.

Archived