Orchard Beach Bus Service Question

bknightshadow45

I planning to visit Orchard Beach for the first time on Memorial Day with a group of friends and just want to know will the (Bx5) and the (Bx12) will stop at Orchard Beach since the beach season has started? My backup plan is to take the (Bx29) bus if the (Bx5) and the (Bx12) don't go to the beach on Monday.

The Bx5 will only go on Weekends to the beach. The Bx12 Local everday.

The Bx12 is also being extended to 207th Manhattan.

NOTE that the BX12SBS will not be going to the beach. You need the local.

As for dates. It should start ether when Summer starts or in the middle of June.

I wanna know, at what frequency does Bx5's serve Orchard Beach... and why Bx5's cease going to Orchard, sooner

(in other words, the 12 goes there more days during the summer than the 5 does)....

I know Bx12 service to/from there is rather frequent....

The last time I went there (back in 03/04), during one instance, there were 6 buses (2 waiting to pick ppl up, and 3 back to back in layover on the other side of the loop, and one incoming bus).... all 6 of them were Bx12's (yes, out of curiosity, I waited to see what those 3 buses were)....

During that whole time, not one Bx5 came.... this was around 2-3 pm in the afternoon....

I wanna know why the (Bx5) can't go to OB everyday as opposed to summer weekends. I'm pretty sure beach goers don't wanna take Bx5 to Pelham Bay and then wait for the Bx12 during the week

The BX12 shuttle to the beach will only run on the weekends, till the end of June, starting this past weekend. When the summer pick starts (last week of June IIRC) then there will be regular service to the beach.

the (Bx5) is tricky when it comes to Summer Bus service. It doesn't start serving Orchard until mid June i think the first weekend of summer as does the (Bx12) Local. Right now the shuttle between Pelham Bay Sta. and the beach is the only service operating. As far as I know. things have changed each year....

All weekend Bx5 buses to Pelham Bay are extended to Orchard Bch and the # of White Plains Rd. buses are reduced. The Bx5 is way less frequent than the Bx12 Local on any day so when you include the Bx12 Shuttle you'll see literally 4-6 (Bx12) buses per 1 (Bx5) at orchard.

On a side note im surprised the Bx12SBS doesnt go to Orchard. The bus terminal there is already setup for off board payment anyway. Although they'd need to add proof of purchase receipts dispensers. At one point the Select did serve Orchard when the service first started. It may be a hassle now that i think about it.

Archived