Is America in a Golden Age, in a Decline, or in the Crossroads?

IntExp

So I have a research paper to do for my Global Class, and the theme is "The Fate of America." Here is the background-

"The United States is ofter referred to as a great modern empire. With a culture that is celebrated around the world, a military presence in over a 150 countries, and a major role in the world's economy, the United States has become a dominating world presence."

Basically, I want your views on this topic. Do you think that America is in a Golden Age, declining as an empire, or at the crossroads? When responding, please take into account on a definition of a golden age, reasons why an empire declines, and also....

-Technological Advancements

-Social Stability/Problems

-The State of the Economy not just for the past few years, but a for a while back as well.

-Political Stability/Political Leadership

-And outside threats America faces.

I would greatly appreciate your views on this topic, as I seek some opinons to help me out in this project.

There are people who know every cast member of Jersey Shore but can't name a Supreme Court justice.

Let's also but that 90% of people in this country doesn't believe in evolution and can not tell were is europe or any other country on a map,

As for The Fate of America it on the Crossroads, I know the economy is down and wars going on and a big debt but we will get back on there feet eventually,but wouldn't be the Super Power However. if the U.S fails the world fails.

It's falling apart. Look at our nation. It's so disgusting with it's decline right now that if the Founding Fathers came to the future to look at it they would cry.[/Quote]

You would probably say the same thing if you lived in great depression of the 1930's

Declining. Fifth graders can't even tell you what happened on July 4, 1776 anymore.

Our "fearless leaders" are slowly sucking the wealth, prosperity, quality of life, and freedoms out of this nation in the name of corporate rights and big business profits.

A new era have trusts has begun.

But with reality TV, people who obsess over sports teams, and iPods and technology well...

"panem et circenses"

The population is getting older, fatter, and more stupid. The jobs are gone. And they want what you've saved to. 14 trillion dollars in debt and counting, most of which held by a communist country that has historically and continues to hate us. While we fight foreign wars, do the bidding of multi-nationals, send our young men and women to die so we don't have to find work for them at home, and interfere in the events of nations that causes their citizens to hate us and our way of life..so badly that we must strip away the rights of our own citizens in a police state to kind-of-sort-of guarantee their safety from terrorist attacks because of our leaders' aggression in the world and foreign affairs.

It's only been getting worse the past 30 years and the politicians and federal judges who are bought, sold, and paid for by the corporations are cutting loose the last few chains that are keeping things stable...a new depression will follow within 50 years that will make the 1930's seem like a cakewalk when people's LIVES become endurance tests.

...unless they turn off the mind rot TV and follow the example of the founding fathers and DO something about it. We may not be "colonies" anymore but our rulers rule like King George again. Our founding fathers warned us about the enthronement of corporations. They warned us about allowing money into the political system. They warned us about having a central bank. They warned us about career politicians (as opposed to statesmen). They warned us about eroding rights. They warned us about taxation without representation. They warned us about a privileged aristocracy.

And we have all of those curses today.

They also told us we have not a right but a DUTY to overthrow corrupt government. But most won't out of fear for their own safety. With technology, you can go to Youtube and pretend your problems don't exist. But that doesn't change the reality that this nation is speeding down a hill and the leaders care about nothing except rewarding their campaign contributors (big businesses and the very wealthy), and the public is too scared and silent to do anything.

The writing's on the wall for us at this rate. Our political figures jerk around the people they were elected to serve, the people themselves are mostly too lazy or too stupid to object and everybody else outside this country is wonder what the hell is going on with us.

America is Rome - once a great empire, but like most empires they rot away from within and are destroyed over time. Doesn't surprise me anymore. I blame mostly the entertainment industry with their garbage [music, etc] and the fact how too many people have easy access to camera phones to upload their own stupidity or someone's misfortune.

Maybe what we need is a 'reset switch' like in Escape from LA.

I am so glad that I read the NY Times everyday. At least I learn something. It's better then watching Jersey Shore. It literally rots your brain, and I am 17. Most of you people assume people my age watches Jersey Shore, but not all of us, but I do have Honors/AP classes.

Jersey Shore. I didn't even know what the show was until late 2010.

You were alright till you discovered what it was I bet. Speakin of all this education, i'm thinking its high time cracked open my math textbook again and start practicing from cover to cover gradually. A lot of this isn't just teaching it...the kids gotta be made to practice it too. A lot of the thinking is "what am I actually going to use this for?".

My problem with history was none of my professors and teachers made it fun to learn it. It was all a bunch of dates and names of people that at the time I really had no incentive to care about. I loved math and english because I had plenty of things to enjoy that needed the two subjects to enjoy.

All you fellas and girls on here that are currently in college...think about the classes you enjoy most and why you enjoy them. I bet any and all of you have at least one professor you can say just doesn't engage the class.

To be serious what Hollywood currently is doing will bring our nation down. You see those movie stars. It's like they think they are invincible or something. That would help bring us down, and to be even more serious we have business ruling our nation, and we have politicians that don't give a crap about us, and only their rich buddies like Bloomberg. This nation has literally became an oligarchy, and if not that it's most likely an aristocracy like what people have mentioned. This nation is falling apart before our very eyes. Something seriously has to be done, and we have criminals running rampant doing what they want. I am certain that society is currently already endangered, but no one is watching the criminals or the bullies, because they are too scared to, or from Hollywood respect them. It's over. Literally half the world hates us, and if they don't hate us we most certainly look stupid.

Our debt to the world is so big that our great grandchildren if our nation still exists would most certainly try to pay off, but wait you can't pay off debt easily, because no politician in Washington has ever heard of interest rates. Seriously it's over, because we have dug a hole so big, and bad that I don't even know when we seriously dug that hole, and when you ask people about our nation they look at you like "I am brain dead don't ask me". When you ask other people in other nations they would say "Your Nation is among the most stupid, and if it isn't stupid it can't do anything right", and they certainly are correct, because we have had been in war for 10 years, and our money keeps going to nations that hate us, and only use that money to spread their hate of America.

Listen to correct our nation's problems we would have to literally take chunks of it down, but if it means correcting the problems that I am all for it, but we have to pull our troops home, we have to stop giving money, food, and supplies to people that hate us, we have to remove the idiots that are doing this in the first place, and put normal Americans that want to fix the problems in, we have to ban the rich, and the powerful companies from interfering with Governmental power, we have to tax them, we have to fund mass transit, we have to fund green technology, we have to pay off our debt, we have to stop Hollywood, the Press, Criminals, and Bullies from having their power (It doesn't matter if it takes away their freedom of speech, and press nothing good comes out of there anyway), and etc, but we have to correct our problems. For those that are against me go ahead as Voltaire quoted "I may not agree with what you are saying, but I do agree that you have the right to say it."

Jersey Shore the great and future American classic lol.;)

Yet seriously in 20 years in the future around 2030, some kids who are now ages 10-15 will share memories of this show in same way they talk about shows like "Green Acres" "Love Boat' and "Charlie's Angels." My older sister's age group(she was a teenager in the late 1970's) discuss those show in positive memories. Back in day folks, there was also trash or mindless tv shows like those mentioned that were smash hits.:eek:

Only difference was that it had little or no sexual or violent overtones.

With that said, I say America is a crossroads. I believe in looking at the 'reality' of the situation as despite many of our nation's problems there also some positives for the younger peoples mainly in health and technology.

The Negatives..

This is an area that subway guy, R68 and others have already mentioned so I won't discuss it in depth.

-the national debt.

-global view in much of the world that the US is too rich and powerful. Thus one of the causes of the ongoing battle vs. Global Terrorism.

-decline of some moral values and importance of education. Whereby sex and other personal pleasures are more important than faith and helping others.

-The biggest gap in this country's history of the super rich vs. the 95% of Average Americans. This is the new 21st Century version of "Jim Crow' and yet the mainstream media rarely talks about this critical issue.

-The huge issue of illegal immigration.

The positives

-The huge advancement of woman and minorities in last 50-60 years since the civil rights movement began. Although racism is alive and well, laws in the workplace and education have it possible for someone of 'color' can still live the American Dream. This is highlighted by America's '1st Black President.'

-Other than the so called global war or extremists and a few hot spots around the globe, the world is generally at peace.

-The Lifespan of most Americans born today in 2011, is about 80-85 years of age a record. What could ruin it however is the crisis of high blood pressure/being extreme overweight.

-More options in entertainment and technology than ever before. You could get your information from the world from social media sites i.e Twitter and Facebook, etc. and never have to watch the traditional news outlets i.e CNN, Fox News, ABC, NBC and CBS again. Not to mention video games systems as well. Also a huge change is HDTV/blue rays in which you don't have to go to the overpriced movies or concerts/sporting events at ballparks/arenas. There also other advances, that I could go a long time to mention.

-In next 30-50 years(I probably be in a nursing home then or coming close to a wrap to my life lol:cool:)the witness to history with planned space trips back to the moon and a new frontier mars. Also by 2040-'50, the first permament colony of human living outside of earth in space stations and beyond is possible.

That i hope is helpful for your project INTEXP.

I don't see why sexuality is a bad thing. It's fun, it's been proven by science to have positive health effects, and much of the world enjoys it without the puritanical guilting and hand wringing that this country engages in.

The difference is that they don't dress up their little children like harlots in bikins and thongs for beauty pageants and that scratch their heads in confusion when some sicko does something perverted or evil...and then we have to hear all about how the idiot parents of Jon Benet Ramsey "didn't know" what putting their daughter out like that would do.

They also don't put sex out there as cheap and trashy. Instead it's fun, romantic, and rewarding. Shows like Jersey Shore and some of the celebrities that this country collectively looks up to are cheap, slutty, and often times unattractive to boot. They don't glorify sex, they glorify the equivalent of cheap, ugly, diseased, two bit hookers.

The economy is everything to a nation. It determines if the citizens work. Without work, there is no pay. Without pay, there is no discretionary spending money, which creates a vicious cycle that harms the economy more and leaves even more unemployed...and on and on it goes. The only way to recover is to STOP the cycle, but the government and corporations that control gov't are enjoying the profits from selling out America too much to let that happen.

I don't see why sexuality is a bad thing. It's fun, it's been proven by science to have positive health effects, and much of the world enjoys it without the puritanical guilting and hand wringing that this country engages in.

The difference is that they don't dress up their little children like harlots in bikins and thongs for beauty pageants and that scratch their heads in confusion when some sicko does something perverted or evil...and then we have to hear all about how the idiot parents of Jon Benet Ramsey "didn't know" what putting their daughter out like that would do.

They also don't put sex out there as cheap and trashy. Instead it's fun, romantic, and rewarding. Shows like Jersey Shore and some of the celebrities that this country collectively looks up to are cheap, slutty, and often times unattractive to boot. They don't glorify sex, they glorify the equivalent of cheap, ugly, diseased, two bit hookers.

The economy is everything to a nation. It determines if the citizens work. Without work, there is no pay. Without pay, there is no discretionary spending money, which creates a vicious cycle that harms the economy more and leaves even more unemployed...and on and on it goes. The only way to recover is to STOP the cycle, but the government and corporations that control gov't are enjoying the profits from selling out America too much to let that happen.

Subway Guy sexuality is like drinking alchol or eating cookies.In moderation it can be fun. However it's not meant for a 10 year old girl to be 'laid.' Only in 3rd world countries that its very common(I know it happens here in US).

Sure if done in the right way ie. condoms for those not in a long term relationship, etc. it can be great.

Was making point that excessive sexuality can lead to life threatning problems like STD's and HIV/AIDS.

You point is well taken though.

Archived