[Photos]: Fleet week 2011 USS New York [30]

Good stuff, good stuff. I enjoyed this ship more this year because, as I was in the last tour of the day, the sailors just pushed us in the general direction they wanted us to go in while letting us do whatever we want otherwise as long as we were supervised. That included climbing in all of the vehicles and helos.

Sweet! Yeah same here, I was there towards basically the end of the day as well. We were supposed to be in the assigned groups, but we all wandered off and 'went with the flow'.

I think they should have some ped crossings on that road. It's like frogger with the traffic. The station is right there, but the lack of safety crossings may as well have made the travel a few blocks away. That port entrance was not easy to find, I'll say that [first timer].

Agreed [first timer as well, only my second time to Staten Island overall]. They also need to make the entrance more obvious -- and they can afford to, since the baggage check there was more thorough than in Manhattan. I only found it after I saw Marines walking from that direction.

Yeah, they were more thorough on SI than manhattan, maybe since less ppl heading to the SI port? Oh well.

Totally agreed, I had to ask some guy that worked at the local car body shop where the entrance was. That plus I saw a few buses loading up with some marines/sailors likely headed for Manhattan. On a related note, I did see some marines at the Stapleton station to get to the ferry, so it seems some are taking advantage of the local area transit system.

Thanks KR!

Lol, i picked up the peice, but funny enough, I didn't feel too comfortable with it. But the machine guns were fun to hold up though. Kinda like a test on how strong you have to be to lift them.

The minigun on the New York weighs 70 lbs. My friend hurt his wrist holding that thing.

Yeah, they were more thorough on SI than manhattan, maybe since less ppl heading to the SI port? Oh well.

Totally agreed, I had to ask some guy that worked at the local car body shop where the entrance was. That plus I saw a few buses loading up with some marines/sailors likely headed for Manhattan. On a related note, I did see some marines at the Stapleton station to get to the ferry, so it seems some are taking advantage of the local area transit system.

Yup. There is a shuttle bus for them that takes them from St. George Ferry Terminal to their homeport. They also ride the Staten Island Railway for free.

Archived