Question about ticket sale, to take a bus toward Six Flags

Laurence

Hello again :D

I'm sorry for my bad English, or Frenglish :)

Please let me explain my little problem (but urgent problem). With two friends, I want to go from New York to Six Flags Great Adventure by NJ Transit bus. It's a two-days trip, we won't come back to NY the first day.

Here's the exact plan:

Day 1: at the morning we will take a seasonal 308 bus from Port Authority toward SFGA, in the evening we wil take a seasonal 307 bus from SFGA toward Freehold Center (and our hotel).

Day 2: at the morning we will take the 307 bus from Freehold toward SFGA, in the evening we wil take the 308 bus from SFGA toward NY (Port Authority).

Very important: we want to assure our journey! Here's my question: Where and when can we buy tickets (if we have to) ?

I believe that 307 and 308 are full service lines, but a ticket is necessary from Port Authority. Perhaps we have to buy tickets only the day of the trip? or before? Can we take the 307 without a ticket, paying the bus driver?

That may not be an easy question. Anyway, thank you very, very much for a quick answer!

Hello again :D

I'm sorry for my bad English, or Frenglish :)

Please let me explain my little problem (but urgent problem). With two friends, I want to go from New York to Six Flags Great Adventure by NJ Transit bus. It's a two-days trip, we won't come back to NY the first day.

Here's the exact plan:

Day 1: at the morning we will take a seasonal 308 bus from Port Authority toward SFGA, in the evening we wil take a seasonal 307 bus from SFGA toward Freehold Center (and our hotel).

Day 2: at the morning we will take the 307 bus from Freehold toward SFGA, in the evening we wil take the 308 bus from SFGA toward NY (Port Authority).

Very important: we want to assure our journey! Here's my question: Where and when can we buy tickets (if we have to) ?

I believe that 307 and 308 are full service lines, but a ticket is necessary from Port Authority. Perhaps we have to buy tickets only the day of the trip? or before? Can we take the 307 without a ticket, paying the bus driver?

That may not be an easy question. Anyway, thank you very, very much for a quick answer!

There are ticket machines and ticket offices in PABT. You must buy a ticket before boarding there. If you board anywhere else, you can pay the driver. He/she will give change (both routes are full service).

EDIT: I just realized you need one-way tickets. I'm not sure if this is possible, as all price quotes on the website for the 308 are round trips (ask the agent on the way there if the ticket is valid for 2 days). It's definitely doable on the 307.

Thank you, both of you.

I knew the "bus to Six Flags" Internet page, but the answer is not there. We have got vouchers to enter the park, and we only need one-way tickets. I believe that a machine or a window can deliver a one-way ticket, because, for example, we can select a single journey PABT-->SFGA with the Trip Planner at the NJ Transit main page. I prefer buy tickets early, but is it possible? Perhaps we have to wait the first day.

For the second day, I think we can travel without a ticket in a 307 bus, but I'm not sure in the 308 toward NY, because, of course, some folks will have reserved (sorry for the conjugation, not sure) their seats, since the morning at NY.

I'll try to answer you in French. Pardon me for any mistakes/lack of accents.

C'est vrai, on peut aller a PABT apres votre voyage pour acheter les billets. Mais ce ne sont pas necessaire, il n'y a pas un rabis pour faire cela.

Quand on achete un billet, on achete le droit de prendre le bus. On n'achete pas un siege dans le bus. Parce qu'il y a beaucoup de gens qui prendre cette route (308), il y a plus d'un autobus beaucoup les jours. Si vous n'allez pas pendant un fete, tous les personnes qui as des billets ou l'argent peut monter.

Amtrak7, your translation was an experience! Oh, mon Dieu ! je suis bouleversé :D

You're a real gentleman, but I prefer when you speak English. I'm not saying your French is bad, no no no! I appreciate your effort and I understand the second part of your answer: you're right, we can't reserve a seat, and there are a lot of buses (308 or 307-139 via Freehold) from SFGA toward NY. So I should not worry.

Unfortunately, I didn't understand the first part of your answer because the syntax seems strange and some words are incongruous. I don't know what's a "rabis", maybe "rabais" (a discount) ? Perhaps you tried to explain that buying a ticket early (before the day) is possible but not necessary? Are you sure that law is valid with a special seasonal 308 bus?

C'est la faute du français, c'est une langue difficile.

Amtrak7, your translation was an experience! Oh, mon Dieu ! je suis bouleversé :D

You're a real gentleman, but I prefer when you speak English. I'm not saying your French is bad, no no no! I appreciate your effort and I understand the second part of your answer: you're right, we can't reserve a seat, and there are a lot of buses (308 or 307-139 via Freehold) from SFGA toward NY. So I should not worry.

Unfortunately, I didn't understand the first part of your answer because the syntax seems strange and some words are incongruous. I don't know what's a "rabis", maybe "rabais" (a discount) ? Perhaps you tried to explain that buying a ticket early (before the day) is possible but not necessary? Are you sure that law is valid with a special seasonal 308 bus?

C'est la faute du français, c'est une langue difficile.

"rabis" was a typo. You're right. In the eyes of NJT, 308 is just another bus route. Nothing special.

Last I recall, the 308 IS possible to buy one way, since NJT figures that someone gets to the park then get their own way home, and vice-versa: someone drops them off, and then get a ride back home. I remember it was $15 before the fare hike, so I don't know what it is now.

I think I understand, thanks to you.

Just a little question, just to be sure: when I buy a ticket, is it for a specific day and an exact time (hour), or is it for a large period? I understand that, if it's a large period, I needn't buy early, definitely.

SirJokaPlaya: $17.50 now, $17.65 via Freehold (139-307 buses) :D

I think I understand, thanks to you.

Just a little question, just to be sure: when I buy a ticket, is it for a specific day and an exact time (hour), or is it for a large period? I understand that, if it's a large period, I needn't buy early, definitely.

Ask the agent if there's a 2 week max on it, certain special event/discount tickets have that restriction. Otherwise, they're valid until used. No refunds.

Archived