Staten Island's Orion 5.501s and Nova LFS' May Mayhem

LRG

I finished my sophomore year of school a week ago so here are my final Staten Island photos of the month of May:

SAM_4188.jpg

SAM_4189.jpg

My favorite Orion:

SAM_4192.jpg

SAM_4200.jpg

SAM_4201.jpg

SAM_4203.jpg

SAM_4206.jpg

SAM_4210.jpg

SAM_4219.jpg

SAM_4222.jpg

SAM_4224.jpg

SAM_4225.jpgSAM_4226.jpg

My favorite Orion (again):

SAM_4227.jpg

SAM_4237.jpg

SAM_4239.jpg

SAM_4240.jpg

SAM_4241.jpg

SAM_4242.jpg

...and my final bus for the school semester:

SAM_4243.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Doing Staten Island justice for once. Pics outside of the SI Terminal. :cool: I like that S54 shot there in my neck of the woods. Sometimes I get the X14 over there if I feel like walking over to Martling and Manor. :cool:

Oh yeah, and what was that Nova doing on the S61??

S61 is in Castleton now?

No, that's why I asked what the situation was with that S61 running out of Castleton. The S61 technically runs out of Yukon, but ever since Charleston opened, it seems like buses are running out of whatever depot. Perfect example is the S78. That line was supposed to be out of Charleston. One Saturday I saw nothing but S78s out of Castleton, the original depot it ran out of before going to Charleston. The mix up tends to be more so with the express buses though.

X17 for example has been out of Meredith, Castleton, Charleston & Yukon of late.

nice

Thanks!

Doing Staten Island justice for once. Pics outside of the SI Terminal. :cool: I like that S54 shot there in my neck of the woods. Sometimes I get the X14 over there if I feel like walking over to Martling and Manor. :cool:

Oh yeah, and what was that Nova doing on the S61??

You know it, I ALWAYS give Staten Island the attention it deserves...it's like my home away from home:cool:

Oh and for your other question that LFS on the S61 are school trippers, Castleton supplies a handful of school runs for the Yukon routes. Those start at IS 72 at Merrymount/Travis and end at Victory/Jewett.

Nice shot of the 8016 on the tree-lined street! Makes you think LIB got LFS's :eek::D

Cool observation, and thanks!

Good Sh0ts , you went into castleton yard?

Thanks, and yup, my friend let me in there.

Your lens is quite dirty.

I know, dust got inside the camera and the warranty is over, but it's all I got at the moment :)

You got great taste in older Orions no doubt and SI has many LFS's I see :tup::tup:great pics and hope you'll be back to grace us once more.

I'll be back next month in SI cuz I'll be working in the mall! So stay tuned for more this summer! :cool:

Nice shots, but yeah, that lens isn't doing you any good.

Yeah I know, but it's all I got right now...thanks though :cool:

Good shots overall! LFS ftw!

S61 is in Castleton now?

No, that's why I asked what the situation was with that S61 running out of Castleton. The S61 technically runs out of Yukon, but ever since Charleston opened, it seems like buses are running out of whatever depot. Perfect example is the S78. That line was supposed to be out of Charleston. One Saturday I saw nothing but S78s out of Castleton, the original depot it ran out of before going to Charleston. The mix up tends to be more so with the express buses though.

X17 for example has been out of Meredith, Castleton, Charleston & Yukon of late.

Again the S61 has school runs out of Castleton; I know the S44 and S59 have school runs supplied by Castleton as well, but they are still Yukon routes.

You know it, I ALWAYS give Staten Island the attention it deserves...it's like my home away from home:cool:

Oh and for your other question that LFS on the S61 are school trippers, Castleton supplies a handful of school runs for the Yukon routes. Those start at IS 72 at Merrymount/Travis and end at Victory/Jewett.

Makes sense esp. because the buses out of Castleton like to use Jewett to deadhead back to the depot. Really quick run back to the depot from Victory & Jewett.

Again the S61 has school runs out of Castleton; I know the S44 and S59 have school runs supplied by Castleton as well, but they are still Yukon routes.

Yeah, but I get the feeling that sometimes they close down depots or something now that Charleston is opened because some days I see very few express buses doing runs out of Charleston that should be. That depot must be used a lot for maintenance or something. I understand that B/Os are needed to cover some runs, but I can't believe that many B/Os would be out sick like that.

I also know that school tripper S44s that start at Travis Avenue terminate at Post/Jewett and those are supplied by Castleton, but the school trooper S44s that start behind the mall at Marsh/Richmond Hill go to the ferry and are supplied by Yukon; the S59s that start at Tottenville High School (Luten/Eylandt), Staten Island Mall (Marsh/Richmond Hill) and Travis/Richmond end at Willowbrook/Forest or Port Richmond and those are supplied by Castleton as well.

I really have no idea how the trips with the express buses work but I do know that drivers during the rush hours usually get bumped to another interval for another line than the ones that they are normally assigned to. It's very important that the drivers, more so the express drivers than the locals, but mostly the express, know the routings of the lines.

Why does everytime Castleton get a new fleet their busses magically appear on Yukon Routes? Same thing happened back in I think 2008 when an Orion VII NG appeared on the s61 right behind the Orion V (same route) I was on! I hope yukon gets the Nova Bus LFS soon, I like the Orion V's but it's been too long & Staten Island has too many!

Why does everytime Castleton get a new fleet their busses magically appear on Yukon Routes? Same thing happened back in I think 2008 when an Orion VII NG appeared on the s61 right behind the Orion V (same route) I was on! I hope yukon gets the Nova Bus LFS soon, I like the Orion V's but it's been too long & Staten Island has too many!

I know Yukon doesn't have many runs, but they should get some LFSs also, as should Charleston. I want all of those filthy Orions to go bye bye. :cool:

I know Yukon doesn't have many runs, but they should get some LFSs also, as should Charleston. I want all of those filthy Orions to go bye bye. :cool:

Ha, too bad they'll be staying for another three-four years maximum.

Just overhaul them, replace the seats with the hard seats and give them orange signs. We need high-floor buses in New York.

Excellent (L)(R)(G) 6300 looks great!

Thanks! It's my favorite :cool:

Ha, too bad they'll be staying for another three-four years maximum.

Just overhaul them, replace the seats with the hard seats and give them orange signs. We need high-floor buses in New York.

Thanks! It's my favorite :cool:

The money spent overhauling them would be better spent getting new buses since they're prone to more break-downs, especially with Staten Island's track record on maintenance and the roads, not mention that they're filthy and need new HVAC systems since the AC on these buses is lacking to say the least. I disagree about needing high-floor buses, especially since folks do everything possible to board slower and slower and high-floor buses allow them to do just that, thus slowing down everything and everyone. I understand the yearning for diversity in the fleet, but the only advantage I can see them providing is more aisle space and seating, but other than that, that's about it.

Archived