Hoyt-Schermerhorn info

Jim

@ Jim

Since you are new to this forum I would suggest you try our search box. This question about the Hoyt-Schermerhorn station, associated switches, and the Fulton St-Crosstown possibilities have been asked and answered before. Since your stated reasons for these questions have been thought of before, including the planners of the original IND, I suggest further reading of the whole picture. There are quite a few books about the history of the subway, including it's engineering and track maps. There is a reason it's called the " Crosstown" line and never enters Manhattan. There are people from the track department who frequent these forums who can give you switch info that I can't. I have nothing against new people joining this or other railroad forums and asking questions about subways. I do wonder about newcomers who seem to want to re-invent the wheel before they get their feet wet.Welcome aboard. Carry on.

Its not like the station is needed anymore now that the G would stop at jay

The same applies for Bowery. That's also a station that is lowly used, but still it's open (apart from the 2 abandoned platforms). If they can keep Bowery open, then they can keep H-S open too.

The same applies for Bowery. That's also a station that is lowly used, but still it's open (apart from the 2 abandoned platforms). If they can keep Bowery open, then they can keep H-S open too.

Well the difference here is that he wants to slap a couple switches down and send the (G) to Manhattan, which can't effectively be done without ripping out the island platforms. While Bowery may have low ridership (along with E143st on the (6) and other stations around the system), its open "just because it is".

The truth is the (T) would be a much better choice. It could be redirected north of Houston Street into the Rutgers Street Tunnel. Though the (T) would pretty much have to make a sharp U-turn into Manhattan. The (M) does it, but I don't know if it would work for the (T).

Guest lance25
The truth is the (T) would be a much better choice. It could be redirected north of Houston Street into the Rutgers Street Tunnel. Though the (T) would pretty much have to make a sharp U-turn into Manhattan. The (M) does it, but I don't know if it would work for the (T).

Didn't know the (T) was in service yet. Guess I missed the memo.

Like I've said, we need a fantasy thread so the 'dreamers' can go drool over there. I'm getting tired of normal threads being hijacked over fantasy talk where it isn't needed.

I don't mind speculation over the existing lines, but not when it involves lines that don't exist yet.

Like I've said, we need a fantasy thread so the 'dreamers' can go drool over there. I'm getting tired of normal threads being hijacked over fantasy talk where it isn't needed.

I don't mind speculation over the existing lines, but not when it involves lines that don't exist yet.

I mind all of it. It's nice to live in the real world instead of daydreaming about trains all day. You can do many things. Get up out of bed. Get a bagel. Eat the bagel. Talk to people. Make friends. Even have fun in ways that don't involve trains!

Even for those that "only" think about trains...plenty of interesting things to talk about in the subway that are real without jumping off the deep end into fantasy land.

I'd still love to see a fantasy forum...I'm not a moderator and don't want to be obviously, as I've said many times, but if I was, I'd dub that forum "The Quarantine"

I mind all of it. It's nice to live in the real world instead of daydreaming about trains all day. You can do many things. Get up out of bed. Get a bagel. Eat the bagel. Talk to people. Make friends. Even have fun in ways that don't involve trains!

Even for those that "only" think about trains...plenty of interesting things to talk about in the subway that are real without jumping off the deep end into fantasy land.

I'd still love to see a fantasy forum...I'm not a moderator and don't want to be obviously, as I've said many times, but if I was, I'd dub that forum "The Quarantine"

True.

Lol! Quarantine, brilliant!

Such a forum already exists, it's called subchat.
True, but with the 'characters' over there, they'll 'chase' the kids out and we'll be back at square 1.

I believe that there is a role, a good role for thinking about "what could be" or "what could happen". On that end, I think that there are different catagories of "fantasy".

There's "the possible". One example is that for a long period some transit folk supported the use of the Chyrstie Street connection (the old K/KK route pathway un-used for about 30 years) in some kind of new subway route. While many transit fans might have considered any such route plans to be "fantasy" as in not realistic - it was just that kind of thinking that lead to the creation of the current M-train - even under the circumstances of its creation - a fiscal problem. My point is that there a category called "possible". That is the idea is actually "do-able" with existing tracks, equipment, etc. and only a willingness to actually implement it.

Then there's a category that I would call - "some effort" - which includes things like making track connections among various lines, or spending moderate amounts of money to accomplish. The building of a new terminal for the #1 train, or a new Coney Island terminal, a connection between the #3 and the L-train in Brooiklyn, etc. These kinds of ideas are accomplish-able with some effort, and provide identifiable benefits.

Then there's a group of ideas that I will call - "You've Got To Be Joking". Again this is my own grouping of ideas such as the rebuilding of the Third AVenue elevated line in Manhattan, or the construction of a direct from Manhattan to Staten Island subway tunnel. These kinds of ideas if en-acted would require billions of dollars to implement at a time when funds are few, even if there was a will to accomplish them, which there is not. To me, at least such ideas are truly fantasy - in that they require so much resources (money, manpower, willingness, a huge planning effort, etc) such that the lack of any one of these features - such as billions of dollars - dooms the project before even one blueprint is created. There have been plenty of fantasy maps and route suggestions that fit within this category, my only hope is that such ideas do not be confused with what is actually accomplish-able within today's reality.

Again this is just my own listing, others might have different listings. I think that having a variety of transit ideas is a good thing, overall. While I tend to like to live in the transit world of what can actually be accomplished, flights of imagination into the fantasy of other stuff can be fun, with its own benefits.

Just my thoughts.

Mike

Archived