Summer 2011 Fantasy Map - Initial Draft

Tokkemon

It's certainly a nice map in terms of style. Very impressive. I especially like the way you've turned it so that Manhattan is vertical. One small suggestion: you'd do well to tint the main parks pale green to better orient people.

As for the lines, I don't particularly want to comment in detail until you've added the stations. There does seem to be quite a bit of multiple branching (remember: each time you add a branch, you halve the service) and operationally nasty lines that merge into one line, diverge from it, then merge into a second line. But you might have guessed I'd say that.

It's certainly a nice map in terms of style. Very impressive. I especially like the way you've turned it so that Manhattan is vertical. One small suggestion: you'd do well to tint the main parks pale green to better orient people.

Thanks, I do intend to do this, and, if there's room, to mark the major roads that aren't over Subway lines.

Well there are many other lines that you can use as an option on his fantasy map besides the (H).

Sure. How about the (G), which I also offered? That doesn't pass under Rikers Island, and also would accomplish my original goal of a direct link from the Bronx to Queens.

By the way, I agree that it is a beautiful map! You have skills, Tokkemon!

Guys, a direct link between The Bronx and Queens is silly. How many people actually need that compared to the cost of tunneling under the Long Island Sound? Are there any stats on that. Granted, I think a single-transfer from Queens to the Bronx is lacking which is why I created the 125th St Line in Harlem to provide direct access to Upper Manhattan to Astoria, Elmhurst, and beyond.

And before someone calls me as being a hypocrite, the SI connection is *needed*. SI is so remote from the rest of NYC that it needs a direct connection via Subway.

And before someone calls me as being a hypocrite, the SI connection is *needed*. SI is so remote from the rest of NYC that it needs a direct connection via Subway.

I agree that subway service in SI is needed, but a tunnel under the New York Harbour to provide it is just flat-out silly. A better idea is to create a branch off of 4 avenue or New Utrech Ave. A tunnel directly from Manhattan is extremely impractical and costly, if not downright impossible.

I agree that subway service in SI is needed, but a tunnel under the New York Harbour to provide it is just flat-out silly. A better idea is to create a branch off of 4 avenue or New Utrech Ave. A tunnel directly from Manhattan is extremely impractical and costly, if not downright impossible.

Sydney Harbour Tunnel

BART Transbay Tube

Seikan Tunnel (Japan)

Channel Tunnel

Chesapeake Bay Tunnel

Lincoln Tunnel

Just some examples of long tunnels under water. It is not impossible by any means. People just have to have the balls to do it. Now, taking one directly from South Ferry to St. George would be impossible simply because of the Harbor's depth, but that doesn't mean an SI connection can't be made.

I hate the Brooklyn-SI tunnel idea because it doesn't fix the problem. People want Manhattan not Brooklyn. And if you have to ride through Brooklyn, then you add an hour onto your travel time. You might as well take the ferry since you wouldn't have an advantage to traveling through Brooklyn. The only reasons the tunnel to Manhattan should be built are 1) Increased capacity and headway between the two boroughs compared to the ferry, and 2) faster travel time compared to the ferry or Express Bus.

I hate the Brooklyn-SI tunnel idea because it doesn't fix the problem. People want Manhattan not Brooklyn. And if you have to ride through Brooklyn, then you add an hour onto your travel time.

That's a slight exaggeration, and it would only be true if you made it an extension of the R. Not all routes via Brooklyn are that bad. In fact, the only worse SI-via-Brooklyn idea I've heard is extending the G under Fort Hamilton Parkway. The key is to make a tunnel from the Battery to Red Hook, then provide a transfer point to the 4th Avenue Subway (for those who *do* want Brooklyn), before crossing under the Narrows to SI.

Sydney Harbour Tunnel

BART Transbay Tube

Seikan Tunnel (Japan)

Channel Tunnel

Chesapeake Bay Tunnel

Lincoln Tunnel

Just some examples of long tunnels under water. It is not impossible by any means. People just have to have the balls to do it. Now, taking one directly from South Ferry to St. George would be impossible simply because of the Harbor's depth, but that doesn't mean an SI connection can't be made.

I hate the Brooklyn-SI tunnel idea because it doesn't fix the problem. People want Manhattan not Brooklyn. And if you have to ride through Brooklyn, then you add an hour onto your travel time. You might as well take the ferry since you wouldn't have an advantage to traveling through Brooklyn. The only reasons the tunnel to Manhattan should be built are 1) Increased capacity and headway between the two boroughs compared to the ferry, and 2) faster travel time compared to the ferry or Express Bus.

Yeah, but you have a problem. You see does the (MTA) have the money to construct a 6 mile long underwater subway tunnel from Manhattan to Staten Island down 110 feet below sea level at bedrock with no stops in between?

Who said that a Brooklyn-SI tunnel would take an hour? I understand that a tunnel is physically POSSIBLE, but I said that, for the (MTA)'s purpouses, it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE. I know that a Brooklyn branch would not be ideal for SIers, but it is better than something that will cost billions, take hours, and cost $2 more than a ferry to the same place.

Archived