Possible scenario for (D) to Far Rockaway

CTK246

Some serious wrong line ups :P

In all seriousness, I guess if the entire BMT Southern can't be reached by some act of (someone's) God...I don't even know why that's there

About the only way I can ever see that being done. I supposed they could have the (D) go to Far Rockaway, but even I don't ever see that route every happening.

Guest lance25

In all seriousness, I guess if the entire BMT Southern can't be reached by some act of (someone's) God...I don't even know why that's there

To add on to that, even if the Southern Division was inaccessible, I still don't see them sending the (D) via Fulton St (Brooklyn) all the way to Far Rockaway unless there was a serious gap in (A) line service. They'd most likely turn (D) trains at 2 Av or the World Trade Center if something that big happened.

Maybe it's some idea for a total Manhattan Bridge shutdown, in which one option once looked at was increase of Fulton St. service. (in conjunction with the Franklin rebuild). The proposals given in the 90's study had the (E) become express, to the Rockaways, and the (A) become local (to Euclid), to pick up Brighton riders at Franklin, which would have been rebuilt for full capacity and run to Brighton Beach or Coney Island. It appears provisions were left for it to be upgraded with a second track if necessary.

So perhaps now, they've added the idea of using the (D) instead of the (E). (Does it have Euclid as well?)

@Fresh Pond: LOLZ.

Well, I guess the only way for the (D) to reach Far Rockaway would be if BMT Southern would inaccesible (like suggested) and a few (A)-trains are stuck somewhere. Then it would be possible to send (D) to Far Rockaway. But that's about the only thing I can imagine and even the chance that this scenario will happen is really, really small. I mean: what would ever cause BMT Southern to become inaccesible in conjunction to some (A)-trains being stuck somewhere?

So I don't think we'll ever see the (D) go to Far Rock unless something like above would happen or the (MTA) would reroute lines (like the brown (M) to the current (M) for example) and let (D) go to Far Rock.

Major power outage at DeKalb Avenue and surrounding area would be the perfect scenario. I seem to remember it happening before, screwing up the Brooklyn BMT from DeKalb to C.I. for a few hours.

A nuclear explosion in Coney Island, Brooklyn would lead to D trains being rerouted to Far Rockaway.

A nuke will take out New York City.

If the (D) did get sent down Fulton at rush hour, WTC and Euclid might not be able to handle the (C)(E)(D) all at once. I would say in the summer, send it to Rockaway Park instead of Far Rock

You are correct. Something has to obliterate every single connection to Brooklyn except the Cranberry Tunnel, and trust me if that happens I am certain that tunnel would be jammed shut with all the train services trying to get to Brooklyn, and the connection to the Culver Line has to be destroyed too. You want it to run to the IND Fulton Line to the Rockaways right? So you can't have any connection to South Brooklyn, and the Coney Island Yards/Station.

But I'm talking about something that might be permanent or semi-permanent; not just a situation that only lasts a day.

When the bridge is closed, the (D) usually only goes to 34th as it is. They don't send it over the Culver. That again, is only for a very temporary delay, where they're still trying to maintain the whole route and get the trains back to Stillwell. If there's a situation where they have to run an emergency G.O. with a totally new supplemental timetable, then they'll systematize the changes, and not just do on the spur reroutes like that.

So I could see the (D) going out on the Fulton, if the bridge was totally shut down, which would obliterate 2/3 of the BMT south connections to Manhattan. You would only have the Montague left, and everything can't go through that one tunnel.

So there were different ideas of use the Cranberry (or Rutgers). The "no build" (using the existing infrastructure as is) was to send the (E) express, and the (A) local, to divert Brighton riders via Franklin, using an upgraded Franklin line with the new transfer that was built.

Then, there were build options, such as Rutgers-DeKalb, or Jay-Hoyt local connection, so that a 6th Ave. line would go straight out on the local to Euclid without crossing to the express at Jay. These were of course dropped.

So I would think that if they found more cracks, and had to shut the whole bridge down, and then found that it would last weeks, then they might do something like that. It would be difficult, since the Franklin was rebuilt to accommodate only two car trains on a single track, with just a passing track at Botanic Gardens. If it were much longer than that, like permanent, God forbid, then they might upgrade the shuttle, and run local service to Coney Island, and the (C) would be replaced by a full length more frequent line, so one of the other IND lines would be extended. It might be the (A) going local and the other one express, or the other way around. So I guess they're leaving an option to use the (D).

Guest MTA Bus

If the (A) were to go to Coney Island, the whole Fulton St Line from Jay St on would have to be completely inaccesible. The (C) would probabley go to WTC.

But I'm talking about something that might be permanent or semi-permanent; not just a situation that only lasts a day.

When the bridge is closed, the (D) usually only goes to 34th as it is. They don't send it over the Culver. That again, is only for a very temporary delay, where they're still trying to maintain the whole route and get the trains back to Stillwell. If there's a situation where they have to run an emergency G.O. with a totally new supplemental timetable, then they'll systematize the changes, and not just do on the spur reroutes like that.

So I could see the (D) going out on the Fulton, if the bridge was totally shut down, which would obliterate 2/3 of the BMT south connections to Manhattan. You would only have the Montague left, and everything can't go through that one tunnel.

So there were different ideas of use the Cranberry (or Rutgers). The "no build" (using the existing infrastructure as is) was to send the (E) express, and the (A) local, to divert Brighton riders via Franklin, using an upgraded Franklin line with the new transfer that was built.

Then, there were build options, such as Rutgers-DeKalb, or Jay-Hoyt local connection, so that a 6th Ave. line would go straight out on the local to Euclid without crossing to the express at Jay. These were of course dropped.

So I would think that if they found more cracks, and had to shut the whole bridge down, and then found that it would last weeks, then they might do something like that. It would be difficult, since the Franklin was rebuilt to accommodate only two car trains on a single track, with just a passing track at Botanic Gardens. If it were much longer than that, like permanent, God forbid, then they might upgrade the shuttle, and run local service to Coney Island, and the (C) would be replaced by a full length more frequent line, so one of the other IND lines would be extended. It might be the (A) going local and the other one express, or the other way around. So I guess they're leaving an option to use the (D).

Ok, I see now. For a doomsday scenario where for a prolonged period of time there is no service over the bridge, I can see some things being possible:

The (C) replaces the (D) in the Bronx and runs full time, maybe as an express on CPW and the (D) is a 'shuttle' that runs from 168th and goes to 34th. Or The (D) runs post 2001 to 34th and the (C) stays as is.

Then they'd have to bring back the Grand St (S).

As for Brooklyn service, the (W) would be brought back to run from Ditmars to CI via [tunnel] West End. I find that idea of turning the Franklin (S) into a terminal stub for the Brighton local interesting, but I would hope the find a way to make the s/b entry way to Prospect Park a lot wider for turns than what it is now.

(R) would have to terminate at Whitehall if the (N),(Q),(W) lines have to use the tunnel. Alternating (N) [local] and (W) [express] service might have to run to Bay Ridge to replace the R service. Unless, the (Q) is confined to just the Brighton, then the (R) would run as is and share the tunnel with the (N)(W).

Either way, I don't see why there would ever be a need to send the (D) out to the Rockaways.

Archived