Possible scenario for (D) to Far Rockaway

CTK246

I bet the (D) to Far Rockaway was just another useless fantasy program put in by the (MTA).

There are also some other useless routes, such as the (Q) to Bway-Lafayette (its completly useless since the (Q) can't even reach Bway-Laf from Astoria or the Broadway line).

I bet the (D) to Far Rockaway was just another useless fantasy program put in by the (MTA).

There are also some other useless routes, such as the (Q) to Bway-Lafayette (its completly useless since the (Q) can't even reach Bway-Laf from Astoria or the Broadway line).

Actually the (Q) can reach Bway-Laf. via the 6th Av side of the manhattan bridge by switching where the (:P does in Brooklyn....iirc @ Dekalb. There is a reason why those programs are there. They are not there for a foamers delight.

Actually the (Q) can reach Bway-Laf. via the 6th Av side of the manhattan bridge by switching where the (:P does in Brooklyn....iirc @ Dekalb. There is a reason why those programs are there

Yes are correct it would have to be @ DeKalb Avenue....I think the T/O would had to punch the (;) line up....it would be the same as sending the (Q) to 57th Street-6th Avenue which they have done b4!

There is a reason why those programs are there. They are not there for a foamers delight.

*Round of applause*!

Ok, I see now. For a doomsday scenario where for a prolonged period of time there is no service over the bridge, I can see some things being possible:

The (C) replaces the (D) in the Bronx and runs full time, maybe as an express on CPW and the (D) is a 'shuttle' that runs from 168th and goes to 34th. Or The (D) runs post 2001 to 34th and the (C) stays as is.

Then they'd have to bring back the Grand St (S).

As for Brooklyn service, the (W) would be brought back to run from Ditmars to CI via [tunnel] West End. I find that idea of turning the Franklin (S) into a terminal stub for the Brighton local interesting, but I would hope the find a way to make the s/b entry way to Prospect Park a lot wider for turns than what it is now.

(R) would have to terminate at Whitehall if the (N),(Q),(W) lines have to use the tunnel. Alternating (N) [local] and (W) [express] service might have to run to Bay Ridge to replace the R service. Unless, the (Q) is confined to just the Brighton, then the (R) would run as is and share the tunnel with the (N)(W).

Either way, I don't see why there would ever be a need to send the (D) out to the Rockaways.

In full bridge shutdowns, the pattern was usually to terminate the West End at Pacific. They could cut the (N) instead also if they determined that was better. Those are the two lines easiest to short turn.

And again, the idea behind increasing Fulton St. service with another line would be for displaced Brighton riders via Fulton. That's why I figured a (D) to the Rockaways was probably conceived for that scenario. That's about all I could imagine it being for.

True on all points. I too think the (N) would be the most likely to be cut since it has fewer riders compared to the West End. That would make it much simpler for the West End and (R) via the tunnel.

But even though the MTA has every possible routes inputted into the computer, I just don't see the (D) ever going there, at least past temporary service. If this was [worst case scenario] with the bridge totally shut down, I would think they would resort to the post 2001 plan for 6th Av. imo. If anything, they could just bump up (C) service by making them 600' trains and borrowing some trains from the (D) to keep up with service demands. Probably best to minimize the confusion.

There is a reason why those programs are there. They are not there for a foamers delight.

Did I say they werr for foamers delight? no.

I actually didn't know the (Q) to Bway-Laf went from Brooklyn-Manhattan, I thought the programming started at 57 & 7 or Astoria.

For a doomsday(where all bridges are closed) personally the best plans would be (C) to 205 Street in Bronx and its terminal to become WTC and the (E) is stopped. Then the (;) Operates as a Super Express Shuttle at GrandST-205ST(Grand, W4,34,42,50,59,125,Then Remainder Stops that (D)'s Do Rushhour) Then, The (D) is rerouted via Rutgers St Tunnel to Culver and then runs to Jay-Metro Tech and Runs to Euclid ave Local. Then some of the (N)'s are rerouted to South Ferry, while other (N)'s get rerouted by Montauge St Tunnel and Run the 4th Ave Local in Brooklyn and the (R) Runs CI to DeKalb and then Turns to go on Brighton EXP.The (Q) Runs to CI via Culver from 34ST/6AV and Rutgers ST Tunnel. Then, there would be a (S) running The Brighton Line LCL to Supplement the (R).

You mean Whitehall, South Ferry is the (1).

But what do you mean by stopping the (E)? And the (D), where does it terminate if you send the (;)(C) up to the Bronx?

Why do you need to send the (R) to CI? Leave the (R) as is.

Why send the (Q) via Culver? The (F) already runs.

(S) would no longer be an (S) if it is the Brighton Local. may as well keep the (Q) designation and end that at Franklin.

• 3 weeks later...

Just fantasy, but:

New orange (A): 205th Street to Coney Island via the West End;

New orange (C); Bedford Park Boulevard to Brighton Beach via Brighton Express;

New orange (E): 179th Street to Coney Island via Culver;

New blue (:P: Jamaica Center to World Trade Center;

New blue (D): 207th Street to Far Rockaway and Lefferts Boulevard;

New blue (F): 168th Street to Euclid Avenue.

Archived