L Train Union Square West stairway

Jim

At the top of the stairway on the (L) train platform (the most west stairway), there is a door to a private part of the station that looks like it used to be a public passageway. But where did it go?

Just curious. Thanks,

Jim

I think somewhere in that station there is a room with switches and sections of track for maintenance crews to practice making repairs, etc. I have no idea if this is the room you are talking about, though.

Actually, this might be in (N)(R)(Q) Union Square station. Anyone know for sure?

I think somewhere in that station there is a room with switches and sections of track for maintenance crews to practice making repairs, etc. I have no idea if this is the room you are talking about, though.

Actually, this might be in (N)(R)(Q) Union Square station. Anyone know for sure?

At the top of the stairs on the right is the exit and on the left are two double doors to the "FAN PLANT." Once it was open and it looked like the public passage ways in the station. I am wondering if it was made invisible by one of the many renovations.

The 14th Street - Union Square station had additional passageways from the mezzanine level directly to the L-train that were closed during over the years, and during the renovation of the station.

Mike

I wonder if those included what used to (supposedly anyway) be a mini-arcade in the 1979 film The Warriors?

The 14th Street - Union Square station had additional passageways from the mezzanine level directly to the L-train that were closed during over the years, and during the renovation of the station.

Mike

Do you know any way I could find out more about this or where it connected to in the station?

I think you're talkin about the Signal School and that at 14th & 8th...not Union Sq.

I think you're talkin about the Signal School and that at 14th & 8th...not Union Sq.

It says Fan room on the doors. The wall and the doors were obviously added later. Its at the top of the western most steps at the union square station. If you walk to the right you can exit at whole foods or go through a tunnel towards the mezzanine of the NRQ area. This walkway looks like it heads in that directly (north), but it is a private area of the subway now.

Do you know any way I could find out more about this or where it connected to in the station?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14th_Street_%E2%80%93_Union_Square_%28New_York_City_Subway%29

"Some former passageways and stairways have been closed off, including one immediately adjacent to the southernmost staircase on the northbound side."

And for some extra interesting stuff about 14st, see this: http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/abandoned/14st.html

Archived