should i stay with mta bus or go over to mabstoa

overtyme2

I would suggest you do what is best for you. Sure, there are benefits to going over to OA, but there is only little difference. Soon enough, BC (Bus Co.) will operate similar to how OA does now in relation to NYC Transit.

Right now you can pick into depots from Brooklyn, The Bronx, and Queens. If you head over to OA, you will be limited to The Bronx and Manhattan. (Not including 126th Street Depot)

Be sure to weigh the pros and cons before making your decision.

Many drivers are treated differently by their MTA counterparts. You have a lot of NYCT personnel with this elitist "Better Than Bus Company" attitude. They have on occasion denied BC's green passes on both the bus, and at subway stations. There is a culture between the two that is not completely integrated yet. It's really sad. Some MTA personnel really do treat BC guys like they are cheap knock-offs.

The whole "not speaking" issue just reflects each individuals character..... Of lack there of.....

Most B/O's and S/A's cross-honor all MTA passes, as they should.

And yes you are right Will, most all MTABC operations have improved over their private line predecessors. New buses, increased and/or enhanced service and reliability. The upcoming introduction of artics in Queens will be a major step forward as well.

Now that MTA will no longer have to operate LIB, I would expect major integration between BC/OA/TA.

The next major project in the works, is replacing all the bus radio systems. NYCT/MTAB dispatch will be combined, and located at the Command Center in East New York.

This will officially begin the "semi-merger" between the two divisions. Legally they will still be separate for a while, but in terms of operations they will become virtually identical one day.

For example, if you have any questions, comments, concerns, or need scheduling information about MTA Bus, you are now directed to contact NYCT.

In a way, it already started.....

I always cross Honor (MTA)Bus green passes, one because we are all MTA employees to me, and because I have yet in the last three years had to pay to ride the BxM10 or any other BxM express bus yet. And if in the event I had to I would not gripe I would just pay my $5.50 and have a seat. I always make sure I have my regular metrocard ready whenever I board a (MTA)Bus company bus or bee line bus. Even on the bee line bus I've rode free 98% of the time in the last three years.

I worked for MTA BUS,good job and good people,but I had the chance to move over to MABSTOA,and I took it. The retirement is so much better which is very important and the benefits are also better. You get more vacation days and you reach top pay much faster. Some MTA BUS DEPOTS reach top pay in 4 years,unlike MABSTOA which is 3. LONG ISLAND BUS is on the way out,it is also possible MTA BUS might be on the way out. Since these private bus lines were merged and renamed MTA BUS,the MTA has lost alot of money with this merger. If you had the oppurtunity to go to MABSTOA,I would run there. Good luck.

I worked for MTA BUS,good job and good people,but I had the chance to move over to MABSTOA,and I took it. The retirement is so much better which is very important and the benefits are also better. You get more vacation days and you reach top pay much faster. Some MTA BUS DEPOTS reach top pay in 4 years,unlike MABSTOA which is 3. LONG ISLAND BUS is on the way out,it is also possible MTA BUS might be on the way out. Since these private bus lines were merged and renamed MTA BUS,the MTA has lost alot of money with this merger. If you had the oppurtunity to go to MABSTOA,I would run there. Good luck.

if mta bus goes on it`s way out what will happen to the buses that they got new and what private company might take that over because people in other boros will need those mta buses in the other boros to get to work command, liberty lines express,nybs,green lines,jamica bus inc, triboro coach, queens surface i hope that`s all if i did not leave any of the names out those were former private bus line if it does go i think it should get those names back like it once was

what will happen to those buses that long island bus has that are mta and what about there workers that work with em

First of all MTA LIB is its own division, and second the depots thats TWU is CP,LGA,BP,ECH AND YONKERS which with the contract adds up as in benifits pay which top pay you get in three years and ect with OA.FAR ROCK,JFK and spring creek is the depots thats under ATU which there contract is a bit diffrent from the other 5 MTA BUS depots,from pay which i think they get in 4years. Now the only thing is different is pension which gotting better and our passes.Now the only reason why MTA LIB is out the door is because Nassua county have not been paying their part for the MTA to run the service for a couple of years,plus LIB is not part of the 5 boros thats state. MTA BUS in the 5 boros is not going no where thats because the NYCDOT and NYS took it over, just like years ago around the 70s when manhatten and the bronx was privete bus lines. Thats when NYCDOT and NYS took it over and name it MABSTOA. It took MABSTOA years before they could get that RED pass and at the end of the day MABSTOA still dont have the same status as NYCTA as far as civil service. Also NYCTA is getting ready to merge MTA BUS into the command center at ENY headquarters just like how they did with MABSTOA back in the days. So bit by bit its slowly working towards merging with OA/TA. So to the dude thats thing about MABSTOA or MTA BUS, follew whats best for you because at the end of the day you have to live with it. Im from a MABSTOA list but i choose to go with MTA BUS which i like thats becaus ei wanted to not because everyone telling what to do,sure the pension do not match with OA,but sooner or later it will just like MTA BUS depots thats under TWU 100 top pay and benifits besides pension match with OA which i heard it was never like that. So like i said choose whats best for you.:tup:

• 6 years later...

Has the MTA bus pension changed at all since this thread? Thinking about leaving my NYCT position (no career advancement opportunities) for a MTA Bus promotion. I already have almost 10 years on the NyCers pension. thanks.

1 hour ago, gr1mee said:

Has the MTA bus pension changed at all since this thread? Thinking about leaving my NYCT position (no career advancement opportunities) for a MTA Bus promotion. I already have almost 10 years on the NyCers pension. thanks.

A LOT has changed on the MTA Bus side since, but IMO, it still wouldn't justify leaving a TA position to go work for MTA Bus. They still have a private pension and you'll be giving up your civil service position. What position are you considering and would you be able to find the TA equivalent of the same position?

1 hour ago, SevenEleven said:

A LOT has changed on the MTA Bus side since, but IMO, it still wouldn't justify leaving a TA position to go work for MTA Bus. They still have a private pension and you'll be giving up your civil service position. What position are you considering and would you be able to find the TA equivalent of the same position?

It's for an Analyst position from TA to MTA Bus. Pay will be the same or 10% more than what I make now. I am in Subways now and it is in a dead end position and location and I feel it is easier to move up in Buses. I've worked in Buses before moving to Subways. In the past, HR allowed for MTA bus positions to be reimbursed by NYCT so that employees can remain a NYCT employer with a NyCers pension (a Yogee) but I was told that that practice has been stopped currently. The hiring manager said it's a possibility for that to resume in the future but she couldn't assure me definitively.

Archived