What got you interested in trains and raifanning?

sovetskii52

Tell us about what got you interested in trains, railfanning, and the subway in general. I'm not really sure what got me interested. When i moved to New York City at age 6, i remember i really liked the rattling sounds the trains made, and looking out the railfan window in front of the redbirds. I also think that building elevated lines was a really cool idea. I have never seen trains run above the street before moving to New York City. Plus, my grandfather worked for the MTA. I think all those factors had something to do with me getting interested in the subway. What about you?

When I started high school, I used to take the (D) to Fordham Road. Then I wondered what the other stations looked like and wanted to travel around the city just for fun. The first line I actually railfanned was the IND Culver back then when the (G) made the last stop at Smith-9th Streets.

Well, I haven't really lived in NYC for long, but I was born there and was there for the first two years of my life. My grandfather used to take me under Buhre Avenue by the Pelham line. I don't know exactly how I developed this habit, but I remember myself gazing in awe! I preferred R62As to redbirds back then, although of course i didn't know the trains by their name. Since then I always loved transit systems and of course the NYC subway most of all. The subway here, in Athens, opened around 2000. The first day I made my parents take me there. I remember it clearly. It was free and packed. But nothing has ever made such an impression to me as watching the trains pass above me on the (6). Majestic!!!

Started with my father just taking me on trains, then gradually teaching me about the cars and routes. And with the 7 being my home line, the RFW was always there for me. Always have been railfanner, always will be!

I will do the same thing to my son by the time I become a dad.

Well, I haven't really lived in NYC for long, but I was born there and was there for the first two years of my life. My grandfather used to take me under Buhre Avenue by the Pelham line. I don't know exactly how I developed this habit, but I remember myself gazing in awe! I preferred R62As to redbirds back then, although of course i didn't know the trains by their name. Since then I always loved transit systems and of course the NYC subway most of all. The subway here, in Athens, opened around 2000. The first day I made my parents take me there. I remember it clearly. It was free and packed. But nothing has ever made such an impression to me as watching the trains pass above me on the (6). Majestic!!!

When I was a child living in Bushwick, I noticed the elevated (M) train. I was intrigued by the fact that it was above the street. When I moved to Queens, I lived near the LIRR. The rest is history.

I watched the (D) and (Q) trains go by as I used to live across the street from the Brighton Line. Those R-68s were fun to look at. This was back in 1992 of course. My interest in the subway also grew from reading subway maps too.

I grew up with the Slants on the (Q6Av) when it went via 6 Avenue. I believe they did a swap with the (B)'s R-68/A's. I think one of the reasons the R-40 slants appeared on the (Q6Av) was because when the (D) and (Q6Av) used the R-68/As along the Brighton line, some people couldn't tell the difference between the two when looking from a distance. The signs both looked like O's.

Anyways, The R-32s did make an appearance on the (Q6Av) sometimes too. I liked that. Back in 1997!

I think one of the reasons the R-40 slants appeared on the (Q6Av) was because when the (D) and (Q6Av) used the R-68/As along the Brighton line, some people couldn't tell the difference between the two when looking from a distance. The signs both looked like O's.

That's not what happened. West End riders hated the R40 slants on the (:P so the MTA swapped the slants on the (:P with the R68a's on the orange (Q).

When I was a little kid I always ride the (N) or the (R) from 59 st on the 4th Av Line with my parents to places where I go and it was fun riding the train since I love looking out the window from the train and also my dad drove me to New Utrecht Av to see (W) and (Mx) trans passing by and I love seeing the trains passing by.

Just growing up riding it and seeing how vast it was with all the interconnected tunnels, and the variety of equipment. Gave me plenty to imagine about when I was young.

Riding from Brooklyn to the Manhattan and the Bronx, and on all three divisions. And Coney Island as well (the one intra-borough trip).

My interest really kicked off when I hit 14 and could then travel on it by myself. Quickly began exploring the whole system. Also chronicled what ran where. (Lines and equipment).

The subway. I always like the subway but I didn't LOVE the subway until 1989 when I was 10. My mom got me my 2nd subway map (my 1st was when I was 7 or 8) and for some reason, it just grabbed me in a way the 1st one didn't. I was so fascinated by how big the system was and all the lines that went through the city and I wanted to know more.

I didn't get to ride the system just to ride it until I was 13 and I was fascinated by all of the places the subway went to. I was in the military for several years and even when I came home, I still rode the system to see what had changed and what didn't. After I came home from that, I met the friends that I have now and I saw even more of the system than I had thought I could see. I'm still amazed at the NYC Subways. It's not the cleanest, it's not the fastest compared to others, but it sure is unique and it's that uniqueness that makes it my personal favorite. I truly love the NYC Subway System.

What got me railfanning was riding the subway when I was a little kid.

The day my mother kicked me out the house and told me to get a hobby lol. I walked to the nearest train station, took a train, then took another one, and it kicked off from there

So you're such a derelict that even your mother couldn't deal with you? Sad :(

What Got Me Interested In The Subway Was The Stories That My Uncle And Father Used To Tell Me Of The Lo-V's That Where In Service For Almost Half A Century. But What Called My Attention The Most Was The R36 Redbird Fleet That Ran On The (5) And (2). In Summer Time I Would Always Fan My Home Station With My Father And Sometimes We Would See 2 Redbirds Coming N/B One Local And One Express Race Each Other Into Simpson Street. Those Were Fun Times Before The R142's Took Over The Line. :P

Archived