What got you into buses?

Via Garibaldi 8

Hated city buses growing up. Everything was a nearly identical new look, and it meant long waits, and long rides, often standing. (was more fascinated with interstate coaches, since they were taking you somewhere far, and you always had a seat!)

It was the advent of the ADB's, which were a totally new direction, when again, everything had been nearly the same before.

When I went off to college, where everything was 8V-71, I noted how this was normally the sound of interstate coaches. And then, interstates at the same time began going 6V! So I became interested in engines as well (even though it took years to find out what engines they were, and the transmissions as well).

It was also interesting to compare what different cities had. My travels around the country also began to expand, eventually reaching the West Coast.

Meanwhile, new looks were being replace, and rapidly disappearing in some place. From growing up hating them, I was now full into a nostalgic kick, and increasingly missed them.

As time went on, new innovations were added, like new signage, low floors and new interior lighting in the late 90's.

Now my interest has waned, as those futuristic new RTS's are now the dusty old fleet, the old two stroke sound was gone for good. Still, the new models they are looking at are interesting.

I don't know a time when I wasn't into buses in some way, shape and form. When I turned 30 a couple of years ago, I asked my mom when I started getting into them and she said that I came out of the womb loving buses lol. She said I would always point to them when we were out and it makes sense. The earliest memories I have of buses were when I was 4 and seeing all the Grummans on the Bx12 and loving the site of them and I still remember riding one to the Bronx Zoo with my mom and her boyfriend at the time and being fascinated by the look and sound of them. I dug the Fishbowls and the Flexible New Looks but it was the RTS's that made me LOVE buses. They had such a futuristic look and the sound of the engine was like music to my ears. There was NOTHING like them on the road and I wanted one for myself so bad! When I was 7, my mom's friend's boyfriend was a bus driver for Walnut Depot and we rode with him on the Bx27 on one of the then new 4300's that had come out. When that was done, I got to go inside of the depot and it was like I was in my own "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" lol. All those buses was just amazing to me and I even got to help one of the drivers move an RTS. Then later that year, I rode an express bus RTS on the now-defunct X61 and I was in heaven. Seeing the Fishbowls transform, all of the various RTS's come and go over the last 30 years, and the Orion V's arriving here were fun times for me in the 80's & 90's. Those are memories that I will always cherish forever.

As I got older, I got more into the subway and for quite a while, the subway became a greater passion than the buses but in the last few years, the interest and love for buses grew again and now I can say that I love the buses and subways equally. I love that it's another form of transportation that can take you from point A to point B. You might have to make time to use it, but it's usually worth it. The looks, the ride, the sounds, all of that makes buses so worth while to me.

I'm a die-hard bus fan for life.

I first got into buses was back in 2007. When I first rode one of the Bee Line buses in Westchester County. I did not like the city buses at first because they all looked the same to me and they were slow. I enjoyed the bee line buses because of their long routes and their rush hour express buses peak direction especially #62 at Fordham Road. I really like the limited buses but to me nothing beats those express buses to manhattan. It may be more expensive but you can enjoy the quick and quiet ride downtown.

Aside from riding GMC & TMC RTSs on the M15 & in Staten Island back in the day. My family got me into them more. I have two uncles, one who recently retired from being a B/O & another who is the AGM of one of the major Brooklyn Depots. They've taught me a lot about the equipment, how well built some of these buses are and so much more.

Then I also started looking at various videos on YouTube and started learning more about them, started doing a lot of research and digging up to see what I can learn about various manufacturers and their products. It's been a pretty interesting time I must say.

I've been interested as long as I can remember. I think what initially got me interested what the bus maps. When I visited my grandmother for the weekend, if I wasn't riding my bike or playing with my cousins, I was reading one of my granduncle's bus map. Many were up to date while some were from the early-90s. I started making a collection, which lasted until my mother threw them out. I had to stop taking about them during my preteen years due to rising peer pressure, but after the MTA took over the PBLs, I gradually became more open to it and tried to learn as much the transportation industry as possible, especially in the Metro area(be it agencies, private operations, even commuter vans). XD

• 3 months later...

I guss it started with the Green Lines Buses for me. I loved their RTS, Orion V's & MCI Classics. I rode them on my (then) home route (Q9) & sometimes (Q6), (Q40) & (Q60). Whenever my school bus didn't come to pick me up my dad would take the bus to get me there. The same thing for after school whenever my dad would take me out to the park or to wendy's @ Jamaica. Jamaica Bus Co. got me interested into buses as well. I took my last PBL bus ride on an Jamaica Bus co. TMC RTS w/my grandpa on the (Q110) in '05 to pickup his car.

When I used to live in Yorkville, after graduating PS. 1 which used to be Elementary School (now high school), I got accepted in Simon Baruch JHS MS104 on 21st St which was served by (M15). My PS1 school only had from Pre-K to 5th grade while MS 104 had from 6th to 8th grade.

That was my first time I got on school bus Jofaz Transportation.

After, when I was in 7th or 8th grade, or when I attended after-school, I began to take (M15) bus a lot.

I remember I think it was in 7th grade, when President Bush was visting town for UN General Assemby, I feel bussick on M15 Local, after I finishing my project at 23rd St Library, and when I changed to M15 Limited at 49th St, nice male B/O who was familar with me made additional stop for me at 91st St local stop. I remember other time, male Asian B/O gave me bag full of Chinese cookies.

At that time, my mom was visiting.

When my Simon Baruch MS104`s Summer School was held at school at 25th St near Park Av (not Baruch College), I think it was center for something., I also began to take interest to ride subway, too.

When I got into HSES, I began take bus and subway more.

When I was late, or don`t feel like walking to subway station, I just take M31 bus stop straight to school.

I think when I started taking bus lots more, lots of B/Os from MJQ, 126th St Depot, Manhattanville B/O started to know me.

One of former Manhattanville Depot driver (he`s 126th St Depot operator now) had daughter who goes to HSES.)

When I moved to Jackson Heights, Queens, LGA and College Point depot started to know me.

I also remember when I went to first NYCT Bus Festival, when OpenHouseNew York Weekend happened to be same day, I remember vintage buses were there including NY Bus Service, Liberty Lines, and all other buses.

I also remember when I happened to take ride on MTA Bus Bx23 (after the name change), one of Eastchester Depot who happened to be driving that bus was driver who drove NYBS fishbowl to bus festival few years ago.

Then, I began my interest to bus/train/ferry interest across New York Metropolitan region, Connecticut and Philadelphia and that`s how I became transit addicted.

Some bus drivers and dispatchers called me, `He`s walking transit direction buff."

My friend at MET calls me as "Vice President of (MTA)" because I carried bus maps in backrack all the time.

My doorman friend near museum called me, "MetroMan".

I got addicted to anything from city bus, local bus, interstate bus, long-distance bus and even CHEESE BUSES.

Then, most Long Island Bus operators and dispatchers recognized me when I went to rally, Hofras public hearing and People`s Hearing, including TWU Local President PAT.

It began in 1995 when I was a kid. When getting home from school, I was required to use 3rd and Lexington Avenue. That was when I first noticed the 1994 TMC RTSs with the stacked flipdots, deeper bus startup and Alcoa tire rims. I eventually became more and more interested, and my dad eventually subscribed me to an MTA newsletter. Then more showed up, from the RTS CNGs to the 1994 PBL RTSs. I always commented on riding the "newer" buses because I never liked the older TMCs and GMC RTS that much then (and still don't).

My passion for buses died down for a few years (although my bus map collection grew like crazy in between) until 2008 when I first started to notice the ex-PBLs being acquired by the MTA, and I began exploring and taking bus shots of them. Now I have a big fad for them again and still do, and it doesn't look like it'll go away this time anytime soon. B)

I remember RTS fleets in most Bronx routes when I was young, and I thought they were cool fleets. I started riding most Bronx bus routes when I started high school 5 years ago, and found many alternatives to go to school and home. There were bus maps too, and I collected my first one in 1998, though I don't have it anymore. An old map dates back as far as December 2002. From then on, I started to collect most bus maps, bus schedules, and a few service change brochures/posters.

From 3 to 13 years of age, I rode the bus and train regularly with my mother. Second I rode, I was hooked. I even still remember when I was 8 or 9 when the those NABI 40-LFWs were brand new and loved the sound of those engines. So I've loved the Detroit Diesel Series 50 all my life, even if when I was small I didn't know what the engine was called. It was hard trying to copy the sound of the DDSeries 50 with my mouth when I played with my toy buses though. lol

I loved staring at the huge paper LACMTA system map on my wall as well.

Before 2005 I didn't ride buses much due to the fact that during high school, I walked. I used to be a train-fan because of the Redbirds, R142s/R143/R160s. I found my first R142 on the (2) in 1999 (by surprised :eek:), first R143 in 2006 (by accident, rode it and there were more :)) and my R160 on the (N) in 2006 (hunting plan :)). When the R160 finished to delivery, I got bored after the (E)(F) Trains got em. I use to live in Coney Island until a relocation to ENY in 2010.

In Coney Island, I only had to use the (D), (Q) and College Shuttle (KBCC) or walk but know I use the (B6) and (B49). In 2010 is when I started using the (B49) and I was really surprised by the Orion VII NGs on the (B49) like "OMG, WTF is this now!" Not just the (B49) but (B41) and even more in the city. I never seen these buses before 2010, I've seen the Orion VII Hybrid on the ENY Routes mostly on (B82) and (B83) which caught me by surprised in early 2009. I didn't know they made Hybrid Buses at the time. I thought the word "Hybrid" fit well with cars lol. So I started doing research on the buses like I did with the Subways from the age of 13 and accidentally found the TTMG and NYCTF sites in late 2010. I've always used SubChat, NYC Subway.org and looked at Youtube videos of Train and now Buses as well. Now that (MTA) has made some many orders this year and for the next two year, NYCTA and MTABC has been very exciting and interesting to me.

So, you can say that the Orion VII NGs, (B6) (demo 0055) and TTMG got me interested in buses. But I got to say, CaitSith has some damn good videos and pics thou lol. Thank you everyone. :tup::tup::o:)

This is the best Transit Forum EVER!

I wasnt really into buses until the age of 16. I use to live on W. Fordham Road where you had a varity of buses. The Bx1 and 2, Bx3, Bx12 and 24 and also the Bx32. When I was young I remember seeing the old TMC PA buses which really didnt appeal to me until i started seeing the 8000 series RTS on the Bx12 route. Then the RTS started improving when I saw the 8400 with the white rear. I like to see the different designs and new technology that buses offer today. Because I work for Amtrak I can see different buses in different states like NJ, PA, DEL, MD and Washington DC. I dont consider myself a foamer but I just like technology and the way transportation system is today im just really impressed and I know its only going to get better.

Aside from riding GMC & TMC RTSs on the M15 & in Staten Island back in the day. My family got me into them more. I have two uncles, one who recently retired from being a B/O & another who is the AGM of one of the major Brooklyn Depots. They've taught me a lot about the equipment, how well built some of these buses are and so much more.

Then I also started looking at various videos on YouTube and started learning more about them, started doing a lot of research and digging up to see what I can learn about various manufacturers and their products. It's been a pretty interesting time I must say.

Thank God You got into transit. You have been a blessing to the transit community in general and not just NYC. Your pics & vids even inspired this Angeleno to to take pics and vids myself, even if mine are crappy in comparison.

Shane's videos and having to ride LIB every day for the past two years to get home.

Caitsith's bus videos, 'nuff said.

Thank God You got into transit. You have been a blessing to the transit community in general and not just NYC. Your pics & vids even inspired this Angeleno to to take pics and vids myself, even if mine are crappy in comparison.

Well damn, its good to know that I've inspired some peeps around here! :tup::cool:

But in reality, I can't take all the credit. It goes to all the peeps that were doing it before I got into the game.

@ C40LFR : It takes time and patience, I started waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 2007-2008 and stuff and all my stuff was crappy in comparison to others on here. It took me a while to improve and getting tips from others. Over time, it gets better:tup:

I've been into buses since I was really little; I think it most likely started when I was a year or two old and my dad and I would sit on a little ledge outside Mt. St. Vincent College in Riverdale and count the buses as they pulled up. I was always fond of learning how things work, and for me bus maps were a representation of how the city moved and what made it tick. I used to have a collection of maps dating back to the early 90s (when I was little) but it got lost or something and I don't have it.

I became really fond of the RTSs and the Orion Vs as a little kid, and I really do miss the '93-96 iterations of those models (even though I was really annoyed when we got the half-dead Vs from CAS 3-4 years ago instead of the NGs) and I thought the Classics were awesome. It wasn't really until 6th or 7th grade that I really got the hang of makes, models, etc. and seeing the Command buses use to confuse me something fierce because they looked so much like my favorite buses but they had humps and soft seats...

I grew up using both the subway and the express bus (the BxM1/2/3 since I lived in Manhattan), and while the subway was faster and more powerful I hated not being able to see the areas I was riding through so I preferred to use the express bus when I could. I didn't start doing heavy fanning until my sophomore year of high school, when I started doing research at a local college in Brooklyn. All of a sudden I could explore the entire city, and I did (or at least as much as I could), including a few trips to SI ((4) to the ferry to (S52) to (S53) to (R)) and from downtown Brooklyn home via Queens ((B57) to (Q58) to (Q50) to (Bx26)). Those trips were awesome, and while I'm probably still no B35 I'm not that easily lost either.

Hell, even up here at MIT I've done a little fanning; a trip back from an interview in Codman Square turned into a ride on a PCC car and two buses, and at one point I took the Green Line (our light rail system) to and from Boston College on a whim. Incidentally, the new AnsaldoBreda LRVs on that line have a propulsion package that sounds identical to that of an R143... :)

Growing up in Baltimore MD i started out on Fishbowls (GM &FLX) in the early 80's 1 car+ Dad at work all the time = buses As time went on I was known to let the newer Equipment pass by so I could catch "one more" ride on a rare model

rare being an old Fishbowl or RTS For some reason the RTS never really took off in Baltimore

Archived