HART workers' union loses control over financial problems (Tampa,Florida)

DNJ

HART workers' union loses control over financial problems

By TED JACKOVICS | The Tampa Tribune

TAMPA --

Amalgamated Transit Union officials in Washington have taken control of Tampa Local 1593, which represents about 500 HART employees, saying it's "impaired" with problems including a lack of controls to safeguard the local's finances, books and records.

The union's international president said in a letter forwarded to the Hillsborough Regional Transit Authority last week that Local 1593 was placed into a temporary trusteeship because there's a likelihood it is unable to perform its duties as a collective bargaining agent.

The Tampa union officers were removed from office. Rafael Rivera, ATU international vice president in Lilburn, Ga., was assigned control and direction of Local 1593, the May 23 letter from international ATU president Lawrence J. Hanley to Rivera said.

Some current and former HART union officials were said to be at the center of anonymous whistleblower complaints that led to the firing in April of HART chief executive David Armijo who faced allegations of creating a hostile work environment.

Local 1593, which represents HART drivers, maintenance personnel and customer service representatives, is operating without a contract. A special magistrate is expected to resolve the labor impasse in June.

That a the reason why i never join ATU Union when i first start working at HART and people telling me don't join ATU Union.

David:cool:

Archived