Planning a trip to NYC and NJ

TFNetwork

Hello Everyone,

I am currently planning a trip to the NYC/NJ area and wanted some information.

I know New York is known for the RTS, and wanted to know, where is the best place to find one. I am also interested in riding classics, does NEw York or New Jersey still have them.

I also read somewhere that there is a couple of vintage restored vehicules in New York, Where can we see these.

Is there a day pass, or a 3-4 day pass, and does the MTA pass or ticket good to get on New Jersey Transit??

Is there a possiblity to visit the different bus garages?

For the subway, what is the best line to find the new subways and the best for the oldest.?

Where can we take a bus/train to New Jersey.

I am sure I will have more, as soon as I work out the details of the trip with my exact intinery.

Hey welcome to the boards. I see your from Montreal cool.

Please go to this website on NYC subways and buses. The local transit agency that runs down here in NY is not "RTS" but the New York (MTA).

http://WWW.MTA.INFO

The Base fare is $2.25 and there no 'day passes.' Metrocards is the pass used down here on the (MTA)'s NYC subways and buses.

NJ Transit has their own and separte passes and fares.

http://WWW.NJTransit.COM

As you may or may not know NYC is divided into '5' towns called 'boros.' Manhattan is the captial and where most of the tourist attractions are. The other NYC 'boros' are Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx and Staten Island.

Some places when in NYC area to check out.

1)Empire State Buliding-34th Street & 6th Avenue station on (D)(N)(Q)(R)(F). The (:P and (M)which runs Mondays-Fridays Only also stops there.

2)Times Square & "Broadway's Theater District" -NYC's version of St. Catherine's Street although almost all of the sex shops have been moved to the other parts of Manhattan about 10-15 years ago.

Now a world famous area for Broadway shows.

3)Statue of Liberty

4)Harlem-Particuarly the world famous Apollo Thearte

5)Central Park

6)Coney Island in Brooklyn (last stop on (D)(N)(Q)(F) lines)home of the famous asument park.

7)Greenwich Village-One of the most famous neighborhoods in US home to New York University and great affordable resturants. Also home to majority of NYC's famous night/dance clubs.

8)Lower East Side-NYC's answer to "Old Montreal."

There more but that the list above is the basic info of a 'must see' when in NYC.

If any questions let me know.

Also, there's Chinatown and the Bronx Zoo ((2) train to East Tremont, follow the signs at the station)

As for your questions, there are a lot of RTS buses on the B6 route that runs on Bay Parkway in Brooklyn.

The oldest cars, R32s, run on the (C) train. I personally think that the R32 is a piece of crap, but to each his own

The newer cars run on the (E)(F)(J)(L)(M)(N)(Q) and the (2)(4)(5)(6). Also, the PATH train that runs between 33rd Street in Midtown Manhattan and Newark, New Jersey has new cars.

In addition to PATH, New Jersey Transit runs from Penn Station to Newark and Trenton. PATH and NJ Transit also stop at Hoboken.

im also planning another trip to nyc in aug, any advice on where to visit?

There's the generic tourist attractions such as the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Staten Island Ferry, Brooklyn Bridge (which is currently under construction-avoid), Chinatown, Rockefeller Center, the Bronx Zoo, Central Park, Coney Island, Metropolitan Museum of Art, and American Museum of Natural History. Junior's Restaurant makes the best cheesecake. Their main location is in downtown Brooklyn ((;)(Q)(R) to Dekalb Avenue). They also have locations at Grand Central Terminal and Times Square.

You can also visit lesser known places like Katz's Deli ((F) to 2nd Avenue), the Roosevelt Island Tram, Riverside Park (which is less crowded than Central Park), the Cloisters Museum, and McCarren Park in Brooklyn ((L) to Bedford Avenue).

There's the generic tourist attractions such as the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Staten Island Ferry, Brooklyn Bridge (which is currently under construction-avoid), Chinatown, Rockefeller Center, the Bronx Zoo, Central Park, Coney Island, Metropolitan Museum of Art, and American Museum of Natural History. Junior's Restaurant makes the best cheesecake. Their main location is in downtown Brooklyn ((B)(Q)(R) to Dekalb Avenue). They also have locations at Grand Central Terminal and Times Square.

You can also visit lesser known places like Katz's Deli ((F) to 2nd Avenue), the Roosevelt Island Tram, Riverside Park (which is less crowded than Central Park), the Cloisters Museum, and McCarren Park in Brooklyn ((L) to Bedford Avenue).

Roosevelt Island tram, Bronx Zoo, MET sound good the others I have done before, but I always go to Coney every time im down thanks for the advice

Also, if your trip was during summer, you could visit Governors Island which is national park only opens during Weekend (Friday-Sunday). Governors Island is getting more popular.

Grand Central has new Audio Guide you could listen for $6 for tour of Grand Central.

Also, if you have time, you should try out new Theatrical experience called Ride RIDE Bus is like moving theater and it hit streets of NYC. Ride Attendees station at their post at Times Square Plaza, 42nd St/7th-6th Avs, 45th St/3rd Av, 42nd St/6th Av, Carnegie Hall, Columbus Circle,

RIDE Agents will perform on NYC Midtown, like going back to New Years Day, dancing, singing, Ballet Dance.

It's almost like Outdoor Performing. Some passersby and tourists get surprise when RIDE Agents perform. This ride has comedy, musical and theatrical bus ride experience I enjoyed.

Also, if your trip was during summer, you could visit Governors Island which is national park only opens during Weekend (Friday-Sunday). Governors Island is getting more popular.

Grand Central has new Audio Guide you could listen for $6 for tour of Grand Central.

Also, if you have time, you should try out new Theatrical experience called Ride RIDE Bus is like moving theater and it hit streets of NYC. Ride Attendees station at their post at Times Square Plaza, 42nd St/7th-6th Avs, 45th St/3rd Av, 42nd St/6th Av, Carnegie Hall, Columbus Circle,

RIDE Agents will perform on NYC Midtown, like going back to New Years Day, dancing, singing, Ballet Dance.

It's almost like Outdoor Performing. Some passersby and tourists get surprise when RIDE Agents perform. This ride has comedy, musical and theatrical bus ride experience I enjoyed.

Thanks for the advice, I would be intrested in Governors Island. I have been to Grand Central before.

Hello Everyone,

I am currently planning a trip to the NYC/NJ area and wanted some information.

I know New York is known for the RTS, and wanted to know, where is the best place to find one. I am also interested in riding classics, does NEw York or New Jersey still have them.

I also read somewhere that there is a couple of vintage restored vehicules in New York, Where can we see these.

Is there a day pass, or a 3-4 day pass, and does the MTA pass or ticket good to get on New Jersey Transit??

Is there a possiblity to visit the different bus garages?

For the subway, what is the best line to find the new subways and the best for the oldest.?

Where can we take a bus/train to New Jersey.

I am sure I will have more, as soon as I work out the details of the trip with my exact intinery.

In terms of riding an MTA RTS I would say the easiest place to find one is in Brooklyn. I would recomend staying in the southern part of the boro where you have Ulmer Park depot which runs a large fleet of RTS'. You can also find RTS' on the routes of Flatbush and East new York that travel into the area they however are a little more mixed. You can also head into Queens where the Laguardia, Queens Village and Jamaica depots have RTS, however due to a lot of Orion's on Queens routes it may be a little harder to find them. RTS also run in Manhattan on Quill and 126 routes but I think you will have a more enjoyable ride in one of the outer boroughs. In terms of going to a garage you can stand outside but not go inside.

There is no day pass but you can buy a weekly pass for $29 that is valid on MTA Local and Limited buses and the Subway.

While the vintage buses are not on regular display you can see vintage train cars at the New York Transit Museum in Downtown Brooklyn.

On the subway the New Tech Trains the R142, R143 and R160 run on the 2, 4, 5, 6, E, F, J, L, M, N, Q, Z you may also get lucky with one on the R but it will be hard to find.

In terms of old trains you can find the R32's our oldest cars on the C line. The few R42's that are left are mixed with R160's on the J and Z.

If you want to go into NJ. you can take PATH from various places in Manhattan. NJT trains from Penn Station and NJT or private carrier bus from the Port Authority Bus Terminal or from the Wall Street area.

• 7 months later...

BUMP!

Hi Everyone,

I am going to be in New York this summer, it was supposed to be last year, but I switched it last minute as the news of the TTC new looks were to be retired in December 2011, so we went to TO for our trip.

I have been doing research on hotels and so far something is or might stop me from going. Does anybody know a hotel in NYC or close enough that I can still get into the city, like in Newark that would allow people under the age of 21 book a room. Right now I am 20, and my friend will be 18, any ideas?

From New York how can I get to Carlos Bake Shop, as I am a fan of the show and interested in visiting.

I might have more questions as the planning goes along...

I did a search on google and it has not been much help, they recommend you try because some manegers will allow it if you look responsable, and they have a good feeling. I cant take that risk, i want to stay a week and need a hotel...

maybe one of the guides here on tne forum help me out, if they know any hotels that would allow it, keeping in mind i am looking for a cheap hotel as my friend that is coming with me is still a student, thus cash is scarce...

Cheap hotels are nonexistant-in Manhattan. If you are trying to look for cheap hotels and a good location, Long Island City would be my first choice. If you cannot find a hotel to stay at, just stay at a hostel.

Cheap hotels are nonexistant-in Manhattan. If you are trying to look for cheap hotels and a good location, Long Island City would be my first choice. If you cannot find a hotel to stay at, just stay at a hostel.

What is a hostel?

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have solved the Hotel problem thanks to Vintage Soul :P

I will be staying at the Quality Inn Jamaica Air Train.

I am looking foward to meeting some of you guys, so if you are avaliable between July 15th and the 20th, as we leave the 21st at 8AM maybe we can arrange a meet-up

Thanks for the info on the Ferry, I did not know that one. Still planning out the 5 days we have to go around the city, we might take greyhound to get to New York but take Amtrak to get back all depending, because Amtrak gets in New York at 8pm of Sunday so it means we will lose a full day to explore.

Thanks for the info on the Ferry, I did not know that one. Still planning out the 5 days we have to go around the city, we might take greyhound to get to New York but take Amtrak to get back all depending, because Amtrak gets in New York at 8pm of Sunday so it means we will lose a full day to explore.

For about a $100-150 more each way why not fly each way?

Archived