Planning a trip to NYC and NJ

TFNetwork

For about a $100-150 more each way why not fly each way?

We are on a limited budget, the train costs 266 round trip (greyhound is more expensive) and flying costs over 800$.

We might end up leaving a day later, leaving the hotel, storing our stuff at the train station and explore the city into late night and stay at the train station for the 6 hours before the train leaves, or around the train station.

We are leaving montreal on july 15th, so still lots of time to plan :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info on the Ferry, I did not know that one. Still planning out the 5 days we have to go around the city, we might take greyhound to get to New York but take Amtrak to get back all depending, because Amtrak gets in New York at 8pm of Sunday so it means we will lose a full day to explore.

We figured out what we will do, We will take Amtrak both ways but on the last day of our hotel (Saturday), we will check out, bring our bags to the train station and store them there because they have lockers and take the train the sunday morning and stay out all night

Well I have solved the Hotel problem thanks to Vintage Soul ;)

I will be staying at the Quality Inn Jamaica Air Train.

I am looking foward to meeting some of you guys, so if you are avaliable between July 15th and the 20th, as we leave the 21st at 8AM maybe we can arrange a meet-up

Be careful. Jamaica can be an iffy neighborhood. There was a gang shooting at the Wendy's on Jamaica Avenue.

We are on a limited budget, the train costs 266 round trip (greyhound is more expensive) and flying costs over 800$.

We might end up leaving a day later, leaving the hotel, storing our stuff at the train station and explore the city into late night and stay at the train station for the 6 hours before the train leaves, or around the train station.

We are leaving montreal on july 15th, so still lots of time to plan :-)

TFnetwork. Did you not look into NY trailways which sometimes have online special in which 1-way could only be $100 one-way (US dollars?)

NY trailways is a legit company in business for years. They are not 'bootleg' and is the regional carrier for most of NY state and also for the Toronto and Montreal coordiors as well. They serve many of the upstate NY towns that Greyhound does not serve.

Trailways of New York: Scheduled Bus Service and Charters

Regarding places to stay withing NYC in the boros outside of Manhattan. I always wondered why not locations such as Coney Island, Brighton Beach, Williamsburg in Brooklyn, St. George area of Staten Island and Inwood/Washington Heights in Manhattan have not been developed more for affordable (not bootleg motels)for affordable cheaper hotels like Motel 6 and the Econo Lodge?

Drug Dealing/Activity and Prositution occurs anywhere whether it's a $50 or $2,000 a night hotel room.

The hotel is probably closer to the airport.

There are closer hotels to Kennedy then that one. The MTA bus Q6 will take you to the airport though it ends at a cargo facility so you might have to transfer to the PA loop bus or AirTrain. Also the hotels in that area are in some half desolate areas at night. Residential but hardly any restaurants and stores. Nothing but cargo offices.

TFnetwork. Did you not look into NY trailways which sometimes have online special in which 1-way could only be $100 one-way (US dollars?)

NY trailways is a legit company in business for years. They are not 'bootleg' and is the regional carrier for most of NY state and also for the Toronto and Montreal coordiors as well. They serve many of the upstate NY towns that Greyhound does not serve.

Trailways of New York: Scheduled Bus Service and Charters

Regarding places to stay withing NYC in the boros outside of Manhattan. I always wondered why not locations such as Coney Island, Brighton Beach, Williamsburg in Brooklyn, St. George area of Staten Island and Inwood/Washington Heights in Manhattan have not been developed more for affordable (not bootleg motels)for affordable cheaper hotels like Motel 6 and the Econo Lodge?

Drug Dealing/Activity and Prositution occurs anywhere whether it's a $50 or $2,000 a night hotel room.

Personally I am trying to avoid the bus there, I am not very comfortable in a a bus because of my size, I prefer the confort of the train and the liberty to walk around, besides the fare for Montreal-New York on Amtrak is 70.00$ +Txs.

The hotel is probably closer to the airport.

It doesn't matter if it is close to the airport, we are not flying down.

Be careful. Jamaica can be an iffy neighborhood. There was a gang shooting at the Wendy's on Jamaica Avenue.

Thanks for the heads up, but I cannot cancel the reservation now, because it is non-refundable, hopefully nothing bad will happen, besides we are not staying around our hotel much, as we are going to be exploring.

Personally I am trying to avoid the bus there, I am not very comfortable in a a bus because of my size, I prefer the confort of the train and the liberty to walk around, besides the fare for Montreal-New York on Amtrak is 70.00$ +Txs.

It doesn't matter if it is close to the airport, we are not flying down.

Thanks for the heads up, but I cannot cancel the reservation now, because it is non-refundable, hopefully nothing bad will happen, besides we are not staying around our hotel much, as we are going to be exploring.

Explore Jamaica Avenue at daylight. Go eastward past Sutphin Blvd and you'll find cheap shopping. No department stores but good value like a downmarket Rue Saint-Catherine. Bonne chance!

Explore Jamaica Avenue at daylight. Go eastward past Sutphin Blvd and you'll find cheap shopping. No department stores but good value like a downmarket Rue Saint-Catherine. Bonne chance!

I doubt we will be staying around the hotel a lot because I want to get the most pictures as possible and my friend is one of the biggest subway fan probably in Montreal, so I have a funny feeling we will be in the subway a lot, just a hunch lol B):tup:

I doubt we will be staying around the hotel a lot because I want to get the most pictures as possible and my friend is one of the biggest subway fan probably in Montreal, so I have a funny feeling we will be in the subway a lot, just a hunch lol B):tup:

Go as often as you can to the MTA New York Transit site. There is track work on some lines at night and weekends. Trains may skip stops or terminate early.

Go as often as you can to the MTA New York Transit site. There is track work on some lines at night and weekends. Trains may skip stops or terminate early.

Would there be a mobile site or Android/Iphone app that we could use?

• 2 months later...

Everyhting is all set up, Hotel is booked, tickets are bought.

Anybody who is interested in meeting up with me or ProchaineStation (another member here), send me an inbox.

I will be arriving on July 15th around 9pm, from the Montreal-New York Amtrak and will be leaving Saturday Morning the 22nd

Everyhting is all set up, Hotel is booked, tickets are bought.

Anybody who is interested in meeting up with me or ProchaineStation (another member here), send me an inbox.

I will be arriving on July 15th around 9pm, from the Montreal-New York Amtrak and will be leaving Saturday Morning the 22nd

Hey i think you will enjoy NYC. I suggest getting a "7-day" unlimited metrocard for unlimited rides on NYC subways, local intraboro buses and also the suburan buses in Westchester and Nassau Counties as well.

Sadly Path trains only accepts "pay per ride' Metrocards. Just a suggestion.

PS. Hey one of my brothers plans a trip to Montreal later in year. I also will try to return up there in near future.

Archived