Which subway car (R32-R42) would be saved for the transit Museum?

R32 3838

What subway car (R32-R42) would be saved for the Transit Musem?

I had a great Idea for a brightliner set " The Train of Brightliners " R11/R34,R32 and R38 would me good for a fan trip in the future or Run R10.R16,R27/R30,R32 and R38 for a fan trip in the future!!!

What do you think?

The R27 dont extist anymore. They were all scrapped a few years ago and theres only one R30 car thats part of the museum fleet. And it doesnt have its mated pair i know there are R30s at concouse and pikin yards. But im not sure if they are operational i dont think the ones at pikin yard are operational. But the ones at concouse might be operatonal though. And the R10s can run in single car sets i think. And there are rumors that the MTA wont save ANY of the R32 though R42 fleets for the museum. I hope thats not true they could save a pair from the R32 R38 and R40 slant. And scrap ALL of the R40Ms and R42s and just kept the willyb pair. And they should also restore them to their pre GOH look. The R34s are now SMEE they run in a mixed set with the 10s 16s 32s 38s 40s and 42s.

I dobut that the MTA would scrap all R32-R42 subway cars, That would be very stupid because those cars made history and The R32 would have been capable of looking like their Pre - overhaul look if the MTA did not Dump the R32GE's in the ocean. I think the only subway cars the MTA must keep for the museum fleet's are the R32 and R38 and maybe R40 slant. R42 CI overhaul's are capable as well and they have the original Westinghouse controlers and all they have to do is add a blue stripe and repaint the inside light blue and you have an original R42. I heard rumors that The MTA is going to keep R32 Phase II 3946-3947 for the museum fleet. But the MTA should keep the R32-R42 as museum cars and have 1 set from each type of subway car.

I dobut that the MTA would scrap all R32-R42 subway cars, That would be very stupid because those cars made history and The R32 would have been capable of looking like their Pre - overhaul look if the MTA did not Dump the R32GE's in the ocean. I think the only subway cars the MTA must keep for the museum fleet's are the R32 and R38 and maybe R40 slant. R42 CI overhaul's are capable as well and they have the original Westinghouse controlers and all they have to do is add a blue stripe and repaint the inside light blue and you have an original R42. I heard rumors that The MTA is going to keep R32 Phase II 3946-3947 for the museum fleet. But the MTA should keep the R32-R42 as museum cars and have 1 set from each type of subway car.

Maybe the slant??????? You mean totally the slant, right? B) I am going to say a train mixed with brightliners & slants would be cool if they are able to run together.

- Andy

save all of the trains

if not possible (which is very likely) at least one or two trains of each model

They could easily with minimal overhead move the older trains to a sheltered siding or rail shed/barn off the adirondack/empire service route, as well as in CT or NJ. Since the cars can run on standard gauge track it wouldn't be too hard to move them during the overnight hours to wherever they could be stored. Just takes a small bit of organization and money. I am sure that with a little more time someone who makes decisions will figure this out and instead of saving a few cars whole sets could be preserved. The more we preserve certain things from history, the better.

- Andy

The R27 dont extist anymore. They were all scrapped a few years ago and theres only one R30 car thats part of the museum fleet. And it doesnt have its mated pair i know there are R30s at concouse and pikin yards. But im not sure if they are operational i dont think the ones at pikin yard are operational. But the ones at concouse might be operatonal though. And the R10s can run in single car sets i think. And there are rumors that the MTA wont save ANY of the R32 though R42 fleets for the museum. I hope thats not true they could save a pair from the R32 R38 and R40 slant. And scrap ALL of the R40Ms and R42s and just kept the willyb pair. And they should also restore them to their pre GOH look. The R34s are now SMEE they run in a mixed set with the 10s 16s 32s 38s 40s and 42s.

They are going to save R32s. R38s I'm not sure about but I would imagine they will. R40s are sure they will save a pair. R42s I would imagine they would but not so sure.

• 2 months later...

There is one R27 that exsits still and the number plate is 8145.

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4503 http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?6306

The MTA will have R32,R38,R40,R40M and R42 at NYCT museum.

There is R32 and R40 slant at the New York City Transit Muesuem already

R40 slant 4192-4193 R32

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?79128

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?88797

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?88796

Actually the R40 slant pair that's going to be saved ISN'T going to be 4192-3. I dont' remember what it is, but I don't think it's that...

R32's 3352-53 will be saved, as well as R42's 4572-73, as well as a pair of R38's, R40M's, and the R40's mentioned above. Don't recall the #'s

Actually the R40 slant pair that's going to be saved ISN'T going to be 4192-3. I dont' remember what it is, but I don't think it's that...

R32's 3352-53 will be saved, as well as R42's 4572-73, as well as a pair of R38's, R40M's, and the R40's mentioned above. Don't recall the #'s

Yes the R40 slant pairs 4192 and 4193 will be at the New York City Transit Muesuem.

Yes the R40 slant pairs 4192 and 4193 will be at the New York City Transit Muesuem.

Actually never mind, I am getting mixed up because it has been a long couple of days, on 2nd thought I think you may be right... I work there I'd know, have asked about the cars before but I don't remember the numbers of the R40 slants being saved offhand but yes those 2 cars was the pair on display over Christmas when the Arnines were running the Holiday V specials, so I guess I'll have to ask around and check to know for sure...

Itll be weird going to view slants in the museum. Were so used to seeing them on the road....

The times, they are a changin'.

Some day we'll see R160 in there. How weird will that be?

- Andy

Itll be weird going to view slants in the museum. Were so used to seeing them on the road....

Yeah, anything from R32 on. Even the Redbirds, even if they are in their previous paint schemes because the interiors are still the same.

The times, they are a changin'.

Some day we'll see R160 in there. How weird will that be?

- Andy

There won't be enough room to fit every single car in there at once. It's full as it is. They're gonna have to lengthen the station or rotate the cars around. But yeah, wierd.

Yeah, anything from R32 on. Even the Redbirds, even if they are in their previous paint schemes because the interiors are still the same.

There won't be enough room to fit every single car in there at once. It's full as it is. They're gonna have to lengthen the station or rotate the cars around. But yeah, wierd.

Well the MTA NYCT Museum have the muesum cars dispaly by taking turns each day,so you don't always see that retire subway car at the muesuem everday you only see it sometimes since there is not enough room to fit the cars,so thats why the museum cars take turns by day.

Archived