Express bus fleet question: MCI Becoming standard

MattTrain

I know that MCI D coach buses are now the standard for pretty much most if not all of the Express bus fleet. I remember the RTS buses being used for express bus routes prior to this uniformity. What other types of buses do you remember being used in express routes?

I know that MCI D coach buses are now the standard for pretty much most if not all of the Express bus fleet. I remember the RTS buses being used for express bus routes prior to this uniformity. What other types of buses do you remember being used in express routes?

Orion V CNG's. There were also a few Orion V diesels with suburban seating.

In 1993 the MTA ordered a handful of Orion 5.501s with a rear door, bus nos. 93001-93076 (renumbered to 101-176). These were out of Castleton.

When I was living in Hollis (or Saint Albans, i don't know which) in Queens for about a year by Farmers Boulevard I remember seeing RTS' with suburban seats on the X64. This was in 2001. In middle school I'd see MCIs on the X29 and CNG RTS' and Orions on the BM Super Express routes.

I never had a chance to ride the New Flyer Vikings, and it looks like I never will.

So we had the New Flyer Vikings, oh I remember those, those looked kind of weird. Orion V CNG, and Diesel, and RTS CNG and Diesel. Oh okay.

Oh and speaking of the X29, when I first looked at it back in the 1990s, I saw RTS buses running that route.

Thanks for your input, everyone! :cool:

Don't forget the MCI classics- I remember taking them until about the year 2000, I guess. Not totally sure of the dates, but I do remember getting very excited when one of those showed up instead of an Orion V. It was usually the same few B/O's that took out the MCI classics.

Pretty much every private bus line except Triboro I believe had Classics.

For the majority of the time, we've had many different express buses, to Orion 5s to RTSs to Vikings to our current fleet being 102-DLW3SSs to the various array of D4500s. We've had a lot of stuff dating back way before we had our current fleet.

Aside from the PBLs, we've had GMC New Looks/Fishbowls running for our express routes. Some of the 1972-1973 GMC New Looks ran for S.I express routes.

In 1993 the MTA ordered a handful of Orion 5.501s with a rear door, bus nos. 93001-93076 (renumbered to 101-176). These were out of Castleton.

When I was living in Hollis (or Saint Albans, i don't know which) in Queens for about a year by Farmers Boulevard I remember seeing RTS' with suburban seats on the X64. This was in 2001. In middle school I'd see MCIs on the X29 and CNG RTS' and Orions on the BM Super Express routes.

I never had a chance to ride the New Flyer Vikings, and it looks like I never will.

I hated the look of those Vikings. They just never really belonged IMO. It's kind of like a tease or a cheap MCI knockoff. It takes a lot to match the look and comfort of an MCI on an express bus line. :cool:

Pretty much every private bus line except Triboro I believe had Classics.

I could've sworn TBC had them, oh well, I know it was one or the other. Didn't visit the JbL lines much, that would be the one area I had no idea outside of their RTSs [some that I saw in Midtown.

Triboro did have them. Although, in the takeover, they were the first to go, for some reason.

I hated the look of those Vikings. They just never really belonged IMO. It's kind of like a tease or a cheap MCI knockoff. It takes a lot to match the look and comfort of an MCI on an express bus line. :cool:

Let's see if your opinion changes once the Prevosts come in July!

Let's see if your opinion changes once the Prevosts come in July!

I never to got to ride the friggin' test bus they had out a few years back. I saw it on the X10 in Midtown on 57th and Madison one Friday afternoon, but I was heading over to Columbus Circle to get some grub and relax since I was off early that afternoon, so I didn't hop on. B) I also saw it dropping off on the BXM2 over by 34th st and once more on the X10 going Northbound in the city. I wasn't wild about the signage on them, but I haven't seen the inside yet. I think they look nice overall, but I hope the (MTA) makes modifications with the signage to make it bigger and go across the full front of the bus like the MCIs do. For some reason, I don't see that happening though.

I've been on a Viking on one of the last days of the X51's existence. They suck. They're the loudest bus I've ever been on.

I've been on a Viking on one of the last days of the X51's existence. They suck. They're the loudest bus I've ever been on.

LMAO... Well then I guess I wasn't missing much. Good thing they're retired. I think the Prevosts will be alright. Just a matter of how well the (MTA) has them modified to meet the needs of us express bus riders.

LMAO... Well then I guess I wasn't missing much. Good thing they're retired. I think the Prevosts will be alright. Just a matter of how well the (MTA) has them modified to meet the needs of us express bus riders.

I rode the Prevost bus from Greyhound, that's one comfortable bus!

But isnt a mass majority of Express Buses loud? (excluding the D4500CLs/CTs)

Archived