Express bus fleet question: MCI Becoming standard

MattTrain

I would say yes, but not annoyingly loud. I don't mind it especially if there is a cell phone yapper about. Blocks them out nicely. :cool:

The D4500CLs/CTs I prefer though.

Well....

compared to

Alongside with

Well....

lol... I still prefer the MCIs. That Viking sounds like an Orion IMO. Makes me feel like I'm on a regular local bus. :eek: It's probably because I've been riding express buses so long that I've become used to the sound of the MCIs and they block out most chit chat, so I can fall asleep and nap in piece. My favourites are the 3XXXs, 4XXXs and 22xxs in terms of sound. I think MCIs out of Yukon especially the older ones are the best example and certainly not MCIs out of Castleton because those can be really loud, but I think that's due to lack of maintenance. You get so used to the sound that can tell when something is off and out of all of express buses I've used Castleton's MCIs sound the worse particularly before they started retiring a lot of the 19XXs that they had. :eek:

LMAO... Well then I guess I wasn't missing much. Good thing they're retired. I think the Prevosts will be alright. Just a matter of how well the (MTA) has them modified to meet the needs of us express bus riders.

I think you (and the MTA) will be satisfied. According to the press release from Prevost, they are making many mods to fulfill the MTA's requirements....

In 1993 the MTA ordered a handful of Orion 5.501s with a rear door, bus nos. 93001-93076 (renumbered to 101-176). These were out of Castleton.

When I was living in Hollis (or Saint Albans, i don't know which) in Queens for about a year by Farmers Boulevard I remember seeing RTS' with suburban seats on the X64. This was in 2001. In middle school I'd see MCIs on the X29 and CNG RTS' and Orions on the BM Super Express routes.

I never had a chance to ride the New Flyer Vikings, and it looks like I never will.

Actually, it was to 172. 173 was delivered new to Stengel.

As for the RTSs with suburban seats, you are either talking about RTSs in the 9200s (displaced from Yukon when it got MCIs) or 9300s...or it could even be the 1700s and 1800 RTSs from 1982 in their final days, or the 3800s from 1985.

I remember seeing a pic of a 1981 GMC RTS on the X64 in 2003. WOW is all I can say.... it probably had hard seats.

Except for 2270 out of Yukon, all of the 1981 and 1982 GMCs had met the Hitachi. It could have been a 3800 series bus.

As for the RTS CNGs---they left Triboro because the CNG station was closed right after takeover; it was an experimental one. They would leave service after 2006; keep in mind that they were never rehabbed.

• 2 weeks later...
Off the top of my head: Command, TBC, GL [though i think they were hard seats], LL, NYBS, and QSC? I don't think JBL had them, just RTSs [though not totally sure].

Most Green Lines MCI Classics had rear doors and hard seats but those were the ones mainly for local service. They had a few suburban classics with only a front door and they had soft seats but were used only for express service. Jamaica Buses had 7 MCI Classics with 1 door and 1 with 2 doors but they all had soft seats suburban style and were only used on the QM21.

• 4 months later...
Most Green Lines MCI Classics had rear doors and hard seats but those were the ones mainly for local service. They had a few suburban classics with only a front door and they had soft seats but were used only for express service. Jamaica Buses had 7 MCI Classics with 1 door and 1 with 2 doors but they all had soft seats suburban style and were only used on the QM21.

Roster of MCI Classics of GBL/JBL

1989 MCI Classic Suburban

JBL 601-607 (1 doors/53 Soft Brown Seats)

GBL 701-704 (1 doors/53 Soft Green Seats)

GBL 717-718 (ex-Triboro, transferred to NYBS in 2000, 1 door/50 Soft Gray Seats)

1989 MCI Classic (2 doors/53 Hard Green Seats)

GBL 705-713

1989 MCI Classic (2 doors/46 Soft Brown Seats)

JBL 608 rarely used on Local routes

GBL 714-716 Common on Local routes

Archived