R42 rollsign fix.

hello everyone i just got my R42 rollsign today but the problem i have with it is that the two terminal signs are out of place but the route(letter) sign is ok. i'm trying to repair it but i don't know how to. if anyone knows how to fix them please let me know. here are photos of what i'm talking about.

http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z326/NYCtrainfan01/R42%20rollsign/P6030171.jpg

http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z326/NYCtrainfan01/R42%20rollsign/P6030170.jpg

http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z326/NYCtrainfan01/R42%20rollsign/P6030169.jpg

also i'm wonder if anyone has like a factory book pictures or blueprint or video on how to build/fix the R42 rollsign.

I dont know. Is there some kind of garuntee?

All surplus material sales are made "as is" so no. You get what you get.

To the OP, it is possible to repair the sign provided you have all the parts, but you're going to need to post better pictures than that. I can't see how the bottom destination sign is mounted at all (I just see the white which is presumably the end of a complete roll), and while I can see the top sitting improperly half out of the seat, I can't see why.

All surplus material sales are made "as is" so no. You get what you get.

To the OP, it is possible to repair the sign provided you have all the parts, but you're going to need to post better pictures than that. I can't see how the bottom destination sign is mounted at all (I just see the white which is presumably the end of a complete roll), and while I can see the top sitting improperly half out of the seat, I can't see why.

here are some more pics:

P6040175.jpg

P6040176.jpg

P6040177.jpg

P6040178.jpg

the first pic is looking inside towards the right. the two signs are not connected to the right. i tried connecting them but they won't reach for some odd reason.

the second pic is looking inside towards the left. this side the signs are connected.

the third pic is the letter route sign that sign works perfectly but i took the pic to show all the parts are correct and probably give someone an idea on how to fix the other two.

the last pic is poles that came with the sign but were not attached to any thing. there's six of them. i hope this helps anyone figure this out.

OK there it is. Basically you've got a sign that's mounted all wrong. Remember rollsigns have interior as well as exterior displays and without those skinny rods in your fourth picture the sign is going to be wrong. The rods essentially allow you to make a display "box" for each pair of rolls that allows the inside and outside signs to display properly at the same time.

The skinny rods go here, and the sign roll always goes on the outside of them:

k99m3q.jpg

OK now the larger rods (the ones with the sign rolls attached). There should be small circular "rings" with a wide flange located at the ends of the rolls that fit properly. I don't have a picture but you will notice they come out of the sign rods which fit properly. Provided you have all of these small rings, that will solve the "sign rod is too short" problem.

Make sure you have this part for all of your rolls that need them. This part seats in the hollow end of the sign rod. When seating this part in the sign rod, put the end with the divot into the sign rod...there is only one way that it can go. This will allow you to seat the sign rods properly in the slots that I did not label in the previous picture (by this point it should be pretty obvious where the sign rolls go though).

That's the easy part of what goes where. The hard part is this...making sure the sign displays properly. Without knowing which sign roll is which I'm just going to make this simple and show you the physical path that the sign should follow when scrolling. You may have to experiment until you have the signs in the proper place and displaying right side up...I know how to do it but it's impossible to explain in a post. Remember you can remove the skinny rods and put them back at any time during this process, as well as remove the sign rods to pull out additional slack to work with. You'll need good hands for this part. When it's proper, the sign should take the following paths:

30rqzyg.jpg

If you're doing it properly the LAST thing you should do is put the skinny rod in at 4. Remember to leave a little bit of slack (but not much!), and check the reading as you are working to make sure they are displaying right side up otherwise your sign rolls are backwards so switch them.

Hope that helps and good luck.

OK there it is. Basically you've got a sign that's mounted all wrong. Remember rollsigns have interior as well as exterior displays and without those skinny rods in your fourth picture the sign is going to be wrong. The rods essentially allow you to make a display "box" for each pair of rolls that allows the inside and outside signs to display properly at the same time.

The skinny rods go here, and the sign roll always goes on the outside of them:

k99m3q.jpg

OK now the larger rods (the ones with the sign rolls attached). There should be small circular "rings" with a wide flange located at the ends of the rolls that fit properly. I don't have a picture but you will notice they come out of the sign rods which fit properly. Provided you have all of these small rings, that will solve the "sign rod is too short" problem.

Make sure you have this part for all of your rolls that need them. This part seats in the hollow end of the sign rod. When seating this part in the sign rod, put the end with the divot into the sign rod...there is only one way that it can go. This will allow you to seat the sign rods properly in the slots that I did not label in the previous picture (by this point it should be pretty obvious where the sign rolls go though).

That's the easy part of what goes where. The hard part is this...making sure the sign displays properly. Without knowing which sign roll is which I'm just going to make this simple and show you the physical path that the sign should follow when scrolling. You may have to experiment until you have the signs in the proper place and displaying right side up...I know how to do it but it's impossible to explain in a post. Remember you can remove the skinny rods and put them back at any time during this process, as well as remove the sign rods to pull out additional slack to work with. You'll need good hands for this part. When it's proper, the sign should take the following paths:

30rqzyg.jpg

If you're doing it properly the LAST thing you should do is put the skinny rod in at 4. Remember to leave a little bit of slack (but not much!), and check the reading as you are working to make sure they are displaying right side up otherwise your sign rolls are backwards so switch them.

Hope that helps and good luck.

hey thank you so much! every thing works except i don't think i have those "rings" what exactly do they look like i will post pics of how the end of the rod looks like.

P6060181.jpg

P6060182.jpg

P6060185.jpg

P6060186.jpg

the first pic i have is the rod from the side.

the second pic is the looking in front of the rod.

the third pic showing the length needed to enter the hole.

the fourth pic showing the same problem as the third pic only difference is that this is the top rod.

both top and bottom rod have the length problem

if i don't have these rings where can i get them and how do i put them on the rods to make them reach. once again thanks for your help. it's just the length problem that's bothering me. by the way there is a little gold ring at the end of the rod (see first pic) if that's the ring you are talking about then that thing is really stuck.

Look at the sign rods that appear to be the proper size. There should be an extra ring on them that the "too short" sign rods don't have. That's the part you need. Now surplus material does sell things "as is" but perhaps once you identify the missing component and call someone from there back, perhaps you can get any parts you may need...just be nice and of course remind them politely how much money you spent.

i found the problem. it looks like on the inside the left side was bent and that was not making the sign rods meet the other side. i bent it back to the way it's supposed to be. now the two ends meet. it took me a while to realize that it was bent. thanks again subwayguy! you really helped me out. ;)

Archived