Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
RTS CNG Command

Do you avoid or go to restaurants due to the NYC Health Dept.'s Sanitary Inspection Grade?

Over the past year, restaurants all over the city have been getting letter grades from the NYC Health Department according to how many violation points they get on the day of inspection. They are "A," "B," and "C." Restaurants with thirteen or fewer violation points get "A" grades. "B" grades result from fourteen to twenty-seven violation points. "C" grades are for restaurants with twenty-eight points or more.

There have been restaurants that I've heard on Yelp, Chowhound, etc., that have good food, but I usually won't go in because the place has a "C" or "Grade Pending" flier on the window (most restaurants who are appealing may have a "C" or somewhere near there). In many cases, I'll pass a restaurant or go in due to the letter grade.

Do you guys do the same? Do you pass up restaurants because they fared poorly in their sanitary inspection and/or go in due to their high grade?

Not every restaurant has been graded yet. Most that I go to don't have the signs.

I go to restaurants quite frequently. Most of them have the A and B grades. I haven't seen one with a C or lower grade.

Edited by MattTrain

I saw an A on Subway Sandwich Restaurant at 18th Avenue b/w 68th Street and Bay Ridge Avenue!

I saw a B on a restaurant. I forgot the name of the restaurant.

I didn't see a C in a restaurant.

Same here. Although I think those grades are overrated, to some extent if I see two restaurants with an A or C rating, I'd probably pick the one with the A.

Most of the places I eat at are either in Midtown, Chelsea or Greenwich Village and they are relatively clean as far as I'm concerned and I am a stickler about that. They look to draw a certain type of clientele, so naturally they know that a dirty kitchen or bathroom won't fly with that crowd.

Quite frankly, unless you eat at greasy spoon types of places or holes in the wall where the staff could care less they're paid sh*tty wages, you shouldn't have much of a problem.

I go to restaurants quire frequently. Most of them have the A and B grades. I haven't seen one with a C or lower grade.

There are no grades below a C.

I dont even notice the grades, if I want McDonalds or Pizza and its there near the Subway and im hungry, im goin in.

I've seen a few restaurants with "C" grades on the wall, one in the UES, and a couple in Chinatown. The restaurants that I see the most "Grade Pendings" or "C" grades according to the Health Inspection websites are Chinese and Japanese ones, especially the takeouts.

BTW, when you see a restaurant with a "Grade Pending" on the window, chance are it was about to get a "C," and the owner's appealing it.

Over the past year, restaurants all over the city have been getting letter grades from the NYC Health Department according to how many violation points they get on the day of inspection. They are "A," "B," and "C." Restaurants with thirteen or fewer violation points get "A" grades. "B" grades result from fourteen to twenty-seven violation points. "C" grades are for restaurants with twenty-eight points or more.

There have been restaurants that I've heard on Yelp, Chowhound, etc., that have good food, but I usually won't go in because the place has a "C" or "Grade Pending" flier on the window (most restaurants who are appealing may have a "C" or somewhere near there). In many cases, I'll pass a restaurant or go in due to the letter grade.

Do you guys do the same? Do you pass up restaurants because they fared poorly in their sanitary inspection and/or go in due to their high grade?

I ate a Tendercrisp chicken sandwich at a Burger King on Jamaica Avenue (near the movie theater). The restaurant had an "A". The sandwich sent me straight to the bathroom where I spent the next 3 hours.

I ate a ham and cheese sandwich at a Blimpies in Union Square that had a "Grade Pending". Nothing happened to me.

Lol, that's why I buy the take out.

But i did have the angus beef burger few months ago [i rarely eat burgers], and found it tasted quite delicious and even better than McDonald's one. Now i can't say that's the case, but the 1 time each I ate them that's my conclusion. Still gotta eat another burger from each again to see if the result is the same.

You mean the Mob's inspection grade.... because that's all it is....

yeah I notice them, but I pay them no mind when I'm hungry.....

I also notice restaurants in certain areas (especially the non fast-food ones) all have A's

(example: Howard Beach & Forest Hills, of the ones I've seen)

Coincidence? Doubt it.....

I remember when I heard Burger King employees are most people they don't wash hand, but their French fries are still good.

When I went to McDonald's with retired museum friend, we went to McDonald on Park Av, this teenage employee they touch her drink after touching her mouth.

BK ususally makes one go to the bathroom.

All those fast food choices wreak havoc on my gastrointestinal system. I've been FF free for 10+ years. Don't miss it one bit.

I've seen place go from an A one week to a "Grade Pending" to being shut down the next week, so I am suspect of the whole process.

On the other hand, I have seen a lot more places closed by the health inspector than I have ever seen before, which I think is a sign of at least some progress, and forces some places to clean up, at least temporarily.

All those fast food choices wreak havoc on my gastrointestinal system. I've been FF free for 10+ years. Don't miss it one bit.

Same here. I haven't eaten McDonald's since 2004 or any other "fast food". :tdown:

I gave up Subway too. No more processed food for me. I would be a fat slob now if I were eating that stuff. :eek:

I'm another guy who doesn't eat fast food period. I will have Pizza though. When it comes to grades even if the place has an A and it looks like a dump I won't eat there.

Yep I do the same thing. I'll order from the pizzeria as well, but I still think the food is better at the place I order from than McDonald's or any of those other places. Today I ordered a spinach salad with grilled chicken, grape tomatoes and so forth, basically healthy items, and I'm sure it beats getting a greasy burger from Mickey D's.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Same here. I haven't eaten McDonald's since 2004 or any other "fast food". :tdown:

I gave up Subway too. No more processed food for me. I would be a fat slob now if I were eating that stuff. :eek:

To be honest, I think that abstaining from fast food has done a lot for me in terms of maintaining the same overall figure over the past few years. I'd probably be a fat **** if I were eating McD every day like an animal.

I will admit though, in the winter, the McD hot chocolate is pretty damn good.

I'm another guy who doesn't eat fast food period. I will have Pizza though. When it comes to grades even if the place has an A and it looks like a dump I won't eat there.

To be honest, I think that abstaining from fast food has done a lot for me in terms of maintaining the same overall figure over the past few years. I'd probably be a fat **** if I were eating McD every day like an animal.

I will admit though, in the winter, the McD hot chocolate is pretty damn good.

lol... Same here. Even eating at Whole Foods I have to be careful and read the labels because some of the natural or organic foods you need to watch the fat, sugar, carbs and sodium and such on too.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8