First man ‘functionally cured’ of HIV

mark1447

Since the HIV virus was discovered 30 years ago this week, 30 million people have died from the disease, and it continues to spread at the rate of 7,000 people per day globally, the UN says.

There's not much good news when it comes to this devastating disease. But that is perhaps why the story of the man scientists call the "Berlin patient" is so remarkable and has generated so much excitement among the HIV advocacy community.

Timothy Ray Brown suffered from both leukemia and HIV when he received a bone marrow stem cell transplant in Berlin, Germany in 2007. The transplant came from a man who was immune to HIV, which scientists say about 1 percent of Caucasians are. (According to San Francisco's CBS affiliate, the trait may be passed down from ancestors who became immune to the plague centuries ago.)

What happened next has stunned the dozens of scientists who are closely monitoring Brown: His HIV went away.

More Here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110603/us_yblog_thelookout/first-man-functionally-cured-of-hiv

And also: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110601/sc_nm/us_aids_5

Since the HIV virus was discovered 30 years ago this week, 30 million people have died from the disease, and it continues to spread at the rate of 7,000 people per day globally, the UN says.

There's not much good news when it comes to this devastating disease. But that is perhaps why the story of the man scientists call the "Berlin patient" is so remarkable and has generated so much excitement among the HIV advocacy community.

Timothy Ray Brown suffered from both leukemia and HIV when he received a bone marrow stem cell transplant in Berlin, Germany in 2007. The transplant came from a man who was immune to HIV, which scientists say about 1 percent of Caucasians are. (According to San Francisco's CBS affiliate, the trait may be passed down from ancestors who became immune to the plague centuries ago.)

What happened next has stunned the dozens of scientists who are closely monitoring Brown: His HIV went away.

More Here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110603/us_yblog_thelookout/first-man-functionally-cured-of-hiv

And also: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110601/sc_nm/us_aids_5

My gut is that there be a vaccine find much quicker for HIV than cancer. Plus it's not a surprise (which is a good thing I would never wish HIV/AIDS on anyone)they living longer. Look at Magic Johnson.

My gut is that there be a vaccine find much quicker for HIV than cancer. Plus it's not a surprise (which is a good thing I would never wish HIV/AIDS on anyone)they living longer. Look at Magic Johnson.

I wonder if there was already a cure.. I mean Johnsons still alive ya know.

The cure is out there.The medicines given to HIV+ folks contains a small percentage of the cure to keep you alive,but not cure.If the cure is released,doctors and the entire medical field would lose millions!!!

Heard the same argument on why a 'cure' for the common cold has not been found.:eek:

Is a vaccine for cancer possible? Vaccines work by weakning the bacteria or virus that causes a disease, and then injecting it into the bloodstream so your immune system fights it off and you then become immune to it. Cancer is not a disease from micro-organisms, so I don't think a vaccine for cancer is possible.

The cure is out there.The medicines given to HIV+ folks contains a small percentage of the cure to keep you alive,but not cure.If the cure is released,doctors and the entire medical field would lose millions!!!

Eh I guess. I personally see the opposite. I picture them charging quite a bit for the cure and insurance wouldn't cover it.

Great news for those who have HIV. :P

If they ever come out for a cure for AS I'd be happy as a mofo, as pretty much most of my problems are related to me having this shit, I wouldn't wish AS on my worst enemy. Then again I don't think that's possible for a drug to have the power to that though, as a lot ish would have to change in a person w/ AS to make em NT...

Yahoo fails at reporting. This has been known in the Medical field since 2004, and they talk about it 7 years later.

Also there would never be a pure cure to cancer. Different cancer affects different organs so you would need different vaccines to protect different organs and the breast muscles.

I'm startin to think Magic never had it to begin with...

How else do you think he's been staying alive for the past 20 years? The guy has the money to keep him alive, those who get the disease don't last that long on average.

However the virus is known to mutate so what may work for this guy in the article may not work for the next person.

I'm startin to think Magic never had it to begin with...
That's ridiculous! Magic's survived because he's kept it under check, such as eating right, exercising, and using the right medication. He has to take pills everyday to monitor the virus and strengthen the immune system to control it. The fact that he doesn't appear to be sick that often helps, too.

BTW, Magic's not the only person who's had this virus for over twenty years. Comedian Jim J. Bullock has it, too, and has survived it longer.

That's ridiculous! Magic's survived because he's kept it under check, such as eating right, exercising, and using the right medication. He has to take pills everyday to monitor the virus and strengthen the immune system to control it. The fact that he doesn't appear to be sick that often helps, too.

BTW, Magic's not the only person who's had this virus for over twenty years. Comedian Jim J. Bullock has it, too, and has survived it longer.

Thank You RTS for the great comments:tup:. Some one with common sense. While it maybe true that in the early '80's when AIDS/HIV was first discovered, it was almost a certain death of the victim passing away within 1-2 years. See Rock Hudson, Queen's Freddie Mecury being the examples.

Now with Tens of Billions worldwide spent on research, people now like Magic and Jim J Bullock(co-star w/ Ted Knight from the '80's hit show "Too Close for Comfort')with all of the right steps taken can now leave a semi-normal life.

Thank You RTS for the great comments:tup:. Some one with common sense.
You're welcome. ^^

While it maybe true that in the early '80's when AIDS/HIV was first discovered, it was almost a certain death of the victim passing away within 1-2 years. See Rock Hudson, Queen's Freddie Mecury being the examples.
Definitely. In the '80s and early-'90s, being HIV-positive was equivalent to a death sentence. I think quite a few from the late-80s remember Ryan Whitr, who got national attention because he contracted AIDS.

What made Magic so significant was not only because he was the highest profile celebrity to contract the HIV virus, but because he did it heterosexually. Initially, HIV was disgustingly symbolized as a "gay person's" virus.

I wrote this:

The fact that he doesn't appear to be sick that often helps, too.
Very important here. HIV attacks the immune system. When the immune system becomes weak, then we can't battle cancer, other diseases, or simple illnesses like the cold. The weakening of the immune system is what helps HIV/AIDS-positive people die. (White died of an infection in the lung as a result of AIDS weakening his immune system.) Magic and Bullock relied heavily on staying healthy, taking antiretroviral medicine, and not getting sick to strengthen the immune system. That's why they're still alive today after twenty-plus years with the virus (with Bullock, more than twenty-five years).

Now with Tens of Billions worldwide spent on research, people now like Magic and Jim J Bullock(co-star w/ Ted Knight from the '80's hit show "Too Close for Comfort')with all of the right steps taken can now leave a semi-normal life.
Absolutely. :tup:

Thank You RTS for the great comments:tup:. Some one with common sense. While it maybe true that in the early '80's when AIDS/HIV was first discovered, it was almost a certain death of the victim passing away within 1-2 years. See Rock Hudson, Queen's Freddie Mecury being the examples.

Jim J Bullock played Monroe Ficus on that show right? he was funny, the 80's had the best TV sitcoms.

The transplant came from a man who was immune to HIV, which scientists say about 1 percent of Caucasians are. (According to San Francisco's CBS affiliate, the trait may be passed down from ancestors who became immune to the plague centuries ago.)

I'm in that percentage of those who are immune...... But I'm not Caucasian..... I never heard that part of it before.....

How do you know you're immune?

I was going to donate some bone marrow to my cousin, and that's how I found out. There was a spike in my T-Cell count when I went in to donate, and the doctors couldn't figure out why at first. She asked me all types of crazy questions, like had I recently been tased or anything. I said no, she ran like a million tests, and then told me I was one of the healthiest people she had ever come across. Then proceeded to talk about HIV, the flu, and all types of other stuff

I don't even catch common colds. The last time I was sick was when I had the flu in 1997. After that, something happened that no one can seem to explain to me....

I could be in a room full of sick people, and I might sniffle for a couple hours at the absolute most. It's actually kind of weird if you ask me!:confused:

Archived