R32's Doing Great

R32 3838

Yup three R32's taken out of Service Yesterday due to various problems...

Defect sheet filled almost every day..

Had to Cut out Two Door Panels last Saturday in my car(try doing that with no door fault lights on).

Oh and BTW 3393=Steam Bath...

That is Alll...

mechanical door problems?

Most likely the R44's wont go back in service, but if they do they are only bringing out the sets that are in best condition.

If an R32 HVAC starts to crap out, they could run the R44 set that is in best condition for a week or however long it takes for the HVAC of the R32 to be fixed. When they finally fix that R32, that R44 will be taken out of service IMMEDIATELY. If an R32 HVAC craps out (which is not likely since its has been said that they worked all winter to fix the HVACs up), they will probably put an R46 on there.

For The Past Week I been On the (C) Train, eventhough the summer hasn't start yet but we had some hot ass weather, But My freind that works at 207th was right, 207th had been working around the clock during the winter to make sure these bad boys won't have A/C problems, Every R32's i seen and been on, The A/C was working full blast, so there is no need for R46's to cover the (C) if any R32's have A/C problems, and we all should Know that NO R44 WILL EVER RE-ENTER SERVICE, So Don't Think That's Happening.

You havent been on EVERY R32 car so you don't know that maybe one or more sets might have AC problems.

Guest lance25
Most likely the R44's wont go back in service, but if they do they are only bringing out the sets that are in best condition.

If an R32 HVAC starts to crap out, they could run the R44 set that is in best condition for a week or however long it takes for the HVAC of the R32 to be fixed. When they finally fix that R32, that R44 will be taken out of service IMMEDIATELY. If an R32 HVAC craps out (which is not likely since its has been said that they worked all winter to fix the HVACs up), they will probably put an R46 on there.

Read the following...

The R44s are DEAD and won't go in service ever again. Even the ones at CIYD that have not been stripped don't move. He'll, they won't even charge up.

Had to Cut out Two Door Panels last Saturday in my car(try doing that with no door fault lights on).

That is Alll...

So if this continues to happen then the R44's will run right?

So if this continues to happen then the R44's will run right?

the 44s are dead. there was a memo released the other day they are retired. they are not even qualifiying new t/os on them. give it up already they are gone. they will spend their last days rotting and getting stripped for parts.

Guest lance25
I don't think there would be enough sets

If there aren't enough R46s to meet demand, the (MTA) can pull a (few) spare R68(a) consist(s) out of Concourse or Coney Island.

the 44s are dead. there was a memo released the other day they are retired. they are not even qualifiying new t/os on them. give it up already they are gone. they will spend their last days rotting and getting stripped for parts.

So the MTA didn't "retire" the R44's last summer then brought them back on the (C) then reitred them again? I'm just wondering.

I got a question if the R32's came before the R38's how come the R38's Preceded the R32's in Retirement. Note if I spelled anything wrong just fix it for me.

The R38s were not the first cars retired by the R160s. Performance, not age, determines a particular car fleet's retirement date. That is why the Coney Island R42s were the first to go in Summer-Fall 2007. While they were not as rusted and beaten up as their sh**ty MK twins, they had the lowest MDBF in the system for like four straight years and train crews complained about brake problems a lot. The 10 GE R32s were next to go, having been rebuilt like the R38s and developed the same problems as them like Bsmith said (the R38s were IMO the system's third worst car fleet due to their rotting car bodies and absolutely disgusting interiors). After that, the R160 base order was planned to retire all R38s and R40 slants by the end 2008, but due to their high MDBF in 2007, they were kept for another year and the order instead retired the Phase II R32s and some of the slants due to major problems in those cars. R160 Option I, originally meant to replace all MK R32s, retired the R38s and the rest of the slants in Spring-Summer 2009. They were going to replace the Phase I R32s by the following fall, thus retiring the entire fleet, but then the conductor positioning problems with the R40/40M/42s on the (C) arose, forcing NYCT to put the R32s back on that line and keep them for at least another year. As a result, Option I replaced the R40Ms and all, but 50 of the R42s by 2010. R160 Option II, originally going to retire the R40M/42s, were now planned to replace all remaining R32s and R42s until the structural problems with the R44s arose in early 2010 and NYCT decided to retire them instead, keeping the R32s and R42s in service for another 4-5 years. There is your breakdown of the R160 replacement schedule.

Well depending how long the R179/R211 Takes to be built yea they will beat the R44-SIRT.

I doubt the R32s will outlive the SIR R44s. The base order of the R179s is set to replace the R32s and R42s while Option Order II of 80 cars will bump some R46s to SIR to retire the R44s there. If my math is correct, 80 cars in sets of five make up the same number of sets as 64 cars in sets of four. The SIR has 63 R44s, having lost one after a December 2008 derailment. Its R44s are much than the ugly fatties on NYCT. The R211s will have to be a huge car order since they are 752 R46s in service.

For The Past Week I been On the (C) Train, eventhough the summer hasn't start yet but we had some hot ass weather, But My freind that works at 207th was right, 207th had been working around the clock during the winter to make sure these bad boys won't have A/C problems, Every R32's i seen and been on, The A/C was working full blast, so there is no need for R46's to cover the (C) if any R32's have A/C problems, and we all should Know that NO R44 WILL EVER RE-ENTER SERVICE, So Don't Think That's Happening.
I have noticed that too. I always take the (C) instead of the (A) even though it is the local because of its far superior cars and noticed the A/C in them is very good now. Looks like they went out of service last summer for a good cause; to fix any problems they had. The R44s will not be reactivated because they suck and no one wants to ride them. Once a car fleet is declared "retired," it cannot return to service. Mother nature has worn out the doorless R44s that have been sitting at Coney Island since the fleet was retired last September to the point where they are unusable for anything. Besides, their A/C is even worse than those on the R32s and there are plenty of R46s at 207th Street to run on the C if needed.

Of course, the (C) train would to be entirely R46s today if the R160s had retired the R32s and R42s as originally planned. I do not think it needs to use full length trains, being how empty they are in the middle of the day. I am surprised at the low usage of the local stations along Fulton Street, Central Park West, 4th Avenue, and Queens Boulevard. I guess people have the desire to always ride express trains even when they practically save them no time. The C has help in Brooklyn from the B25 bus, which literally runs right above on Fulton Street from Broadway Junction to Jay Street-Borough Hall. It seems to be more crowded than the C. To me, it means those unhealty Fulton Street residents cannot climb one flight of stairs without getting heart attacks and strokes like my late grandmother, so they have to take the B25 to Jay Street-MetroTech, where there are elevators, and take the subway there to continue their trip into Manhattan. They need the wide seats of the 75 footers bad.

yeah, they will be here until they are like 52, I heard a rumor (I don't Beleve it) that they want to take some 4-car R160's from ENY and send them out there, But we know that the R46's will be retrofitted for the SIRT, But yeah the R32's have a very good body, Budd Made very good railcars.

If (C) riders really want the R160s, a swap with those on the (M) would be a good idea. Folks on the BMT Myrtle Avenue Line seem very old-fashioned. They miss the rusted tin cans that used to operate on their line and are one of a few group of regular riders who do not look pleased with the R160s, so they will probably love the old, but durable R32s. It will also make it easier to distinguish the (M) from the (E)(F)(J). The weekend and nighttime shuttle can still use extra R143s and R160As and trains on both the C and M will not change length or conductor position.

Remember, the only reason the R32s are still in service is because of the structural problems with the R44s. Their retirement was originally scheduled around Fall 2009 when they were 45 years old. IMO, that is still pretty good for a New York City Subway Car, though I am sure the R62/62As and R68/68As, which are nearly 100% stainless steel, and the NTTs (despite rants from jealous railfans) can live past the half-century mark. The R179s were originally supposed to replace the R44s, which is why they were planned to be 75 footers.

Exactly. I'm waiting for the (1) & (3) to start up with their A/C issues. They get it too even though they have above-ground spots on their line.

I love people how people complain about the R32s' air-conditioning problems when this happens on all other car types. In my experience, the R62/62As and R44s have the worst air-conditioning in the system. Heck, even the Redbirds were better than them. I remember on a hot July day in 2002, I rode on an R62A (7) train to Flushing (the first time I rode them on that line) and the A/C was busted throughout the whole consist. I rode on an R33/36 WF coming back and its A/C was phenomenal. The R68/68As' air-conditioning are also beginning to deteoriate being that they leak all the time.

They may outlive the R42 as well

They definitely will. The R42s continue to look horrible and the unhappy riders they always carry are such huge eyesores. No way can they last into 2015. Even if the four-car R179s sets are the last to be delivered, it does not necessarily mean they will be the last to enter service. New trains have to go through months of inspection and testing before they can entire service. The same arguments happened with the planned retirement dates of the R32s and R42s before the R44 problems arose due to the delivery schedule of the R160s.

Honestly, the 50 R42s at East New York are no longer even needed. Last year's service cuts left NYCT with hundreds of spare cars, including R32s at 207th Street. So why doesn't NYCT just send 50 of its R32s to ENY and get rid of the R42s so that (J)(Z) riders have one less misery to deal with (and I will not have to avoid them)? The facial expressions they make every time they see the next incoming train consists of rusted tin cans are priceless and when I ride those cars, I am the only happy person on board and the only reason I am happy is because the depressed look on everyone's faces is downright amusing. I know it is wrong to take pleasure in other people's miseries, but that is the only thing that keeps me from going insane on an R42.

Let the R42s do work service instead of the R32s. They are the system's crappiest cars, so they should do the system's dirtiest work, not to mention their air-conditioning seems much better, so they are be better suitable to provide relief for exhausted transit workers.

those 32s are getting kinda rickety, i was on one today and the cab door was rattling

Wow, one stupid little problem and you say an entire fleet sucks. FYI, that kind of rattling happens EVERYWHERE because subway rides can get bumpy. The person who thanked you for your useless post is a major hater.

Heh, never say never....the A/Cs might give out on those R32s since that (C) is a underground only line.

This is why the R32s need to be taken off that line (this may be why their A/C malfunctioned when they ran on the also entirely underground (E) line). The weekday-only (:P line is perfect for these cars, especially once Brighton Express service is restored in October. Many riders and I go "lol" when an R68 (B) train and R160 (Q) train leave an express station at the same time and the Q accelerates quicker and leaves the B behind until it reaches the next local station. With R32s on the (B), Brighton riders like me can enjoy the system's two fastest cars. It may also convince those who are overweight to finally shed some pounds and be happy for once. The B's obese cars and bloated, miserable passengers are so intolerable, which is why unless the swap with the (A)(C) takes place, I will stick with the (Q) and its superior cars and friendlier, healthier riders. Perhaps that is why panhandlers and musicians always play on the Q, but rarely the B. The depressed B riders will pulverize them for being so annoying and they will not get as much sympathy as they get from the cheerful Q riders. The Q better stay entirely R160s because they are the only thing keeping Brighton riders happy.

There are no enough R32s to run the entire (B) line, though, even if those in work service or storage at Coney Island and Fresh Pond Yards are put back in service. So if my dream swap occurs, there will still be some R68As on the B, so the few obese people who love chubby chicks on the Brighton Line will hopefully not start b****ing over losing their precious fat girls. Of course, there is a better solution to that. If your favorite cars are taken away from the line you live closest to or a car type you do not like is put there, just move somewhere else. If I see nothing but fat 75 footers on the Brighton Line, I am packing my bags.

There is no need to worry about the R32s' A/C busting in the underground sections of the (B) line because based on my experience, it becomes practically empty after 47-50th Streets/Rockefeller Center, probably since it runs local on Central Park West.

And here I am thinking train crews actually liked the NTTs.

Crews do love the NTTs. They have the best cabs of all cars and do not have to worry about announcement quality. Regular subway riders love them too because they are so comfy and advanced. The only people that hate them are railfans who are jealous that their favorite cars are being retired. This is the worst generation of railfans ever. If we were born 10 years earlier or 10 years later, we would not have so much flame wars on this site.

Cdi919 probably said he would operate an R32 over an R44 because the R44s had the smallest full width cabs of all cars. Being in one felt just like being trapped in puny half width cabs.

Best thing to do? Let's wait and see.....

I'm pretty sure we all know what happens in these type of threads....

I never realized how fun it can be to ruin threads and bring the worst out of the immature brats on this site until my surprise assault on that "R68A <Q> train" thread last December. I cannot wait to see the attention and replies I get after this verbal rant.

That is Alll...

I honestly wanted to laugh when I saw this post. Nice heads up!

So the MTA didn't "retire" the R44's last summer then brought them back on the (C) then reitred them again? I'm just wondering.
Those R44s were brought in to fill in for the R32 cars that were out due to HVAC issues.Once they were put back into service,the R44s went back to the yard.

blah blah blah

Radda radda radda

Rant rant rant

The R44s will not be reactivated because they suck and no one wants to ride them. Once a car fleet is declared "retired," it cannot return to service.

Blah blah blah

Out of all that nonsense you posted, that little segment stood out the most cuz its not entirely true. When the R46s first came in once upon a time, the retired all of the R16s (at least the ones the R44s didn't already retire). But that whole infamous Rockwell truck incident took a good chunk of the R46s out of service and the R16s were reactivated to fill in the gap until the trucks were replaced; therefore retiring again.

Side note: you just love ripping on fat peopole, dontcha? Its like every post I hear from you is that "those obese riders on the (A)" or something related to it. Like I said before, not everyone who rides that train is obese.

Get off your high horse and come back to reality

One may forget that the R32 are just married pairs, and the TA puts 4 pairs together to make a full length train. If the AC goes out in a car, just that pair gets swapped out for a good pair, not the entire train or half a train (in the case of linked units). Such work is done all the time in 207.

Archived