Speakeasy device on buses

error46146

Just found this short clip on Youtube...

So that's what that thing is for...just curious, are there any other uses for it?

I don't think i've ever seen any bus driver use the speak easy thing, once in a while they'll use the phone to make an announcement but most of the time they don't make any announcements at all..

Long Island Bus has used them for over 20 years, but they are external speakers that normally just play the route number and destination, and that's only if the B/O has them on. I don't know what they do for the city.

In certain ways LIB is more advanced than NYCT. If everything is working correctly, every stop is announced without driver intervention, transfers included, and dispatch can track the location of every bus. NYCT only automates the boilerplate stuff (except for the M16/34).

I wonder why the MTA didn't order the new buses with the technology preinstalled...

Long Island Bus has used them for over 20 years, but they are external speakers that normally just play the route number and destination, and that's only if the B/O has them on. I don't know what they do for the city.

Are the speakers on LIB powered by SpeakEasy or the Cleaver Devices onboard?

In certain ways LIB is more advanced than NYCT. If everything is working correctly, every stop is announced without driver intervention, transfers included, and dispatch can track the location of every bus. NYCT only automates the boilerplate stuff (except for the M16/34).

I wonder why the MTA didn't order the new buses with the technology preinstalled...

Hmm...lets see, LIB has around 300 buses. the MTA without LIB has around 6,000 buses. The cost would be too high for something that is not needed. Its like the difference between CDTA and the MTA. CDTA buses equipped with GPS the enables priority traffic signaling if the bus is behind schedule. they are also coming with flat screen monitors and wifi. this is possible b/c their fleet is about 300 strong.

Archived